Steam launch for sale on eBay

Jon57

Featured Posts

Well its a ply hull so it would probably fetch more if it was strip planked and round bottomed - that's one for the nit picking experts to argue over but as it probably lives in a garage it will be perfectly ok. As a day boat you could pay a lot more and get an awful lot less, nice innit.

Aesthetically I love it, and the sheer eccentricity of it puts a smile on my face... but I think running and maintaining it might demand a smidgin more mechanical common sense and know-how than I am ever likely to possess!

Tempting though, isn't it? I could just see myself chugging up and down in this wearing a top hat and steampunk-style goggles...

Don't know much about steam boats! But I want this, looks like a bargain to me. Am I just being silly!!

yes.

if you don't know much about them then you shouldn't be tempted.

think 'blood, sweat and tears' ................................. sad.png

It's the same thing that we would recommend to hopeful first time boat owners - if you are not already an enthusiast then buying a boat just because you like the look or the idea of it is probably the worst decision you can make.

If you want to get involved with steam boats, I suggest that you contact SBA and ask to get involved as a helper at their next get together.

Edited by Murflynn

one important bit of info missing.

is there a current certificate on the boiler?

I am ignorant as to how long a certificate would be valid for on a boiler but do know that one is needed.

I also have no idea how much it would cost to get the boiler inspected (but would guess it's not cheap)

one important bit of info missing.

is there a current certificate on the boiler?

I am ignorant as to how long a certificate would be valid for on a boiler but do know that one is needed.

I also have no idea how much it would cost to get the boiler inspected (but would guess it's not cheap)

annually, apparently.

you are right - most ads state the expiry date of the boiler test.

Edited by Murflynn

If you are interested in buying, make sure it has the design assessment or drawings with stamps from an approved assessor (frequently an insurance Co), material certificates and welder's certificate. This latter has to be for pressure vessels. Also you need the annual certificates and boiler log, Without a valid inspection and steam test certificate you don't have any insurance, even if you have paid, and you won't get a BSC. BOAT boilers do not need a certificate of conformity or CE approval.

Steamboating is great fun, and a small boat such as this would make a great day boat, but I think I would look carefully at the boiler. A V twin engine has the advantage of being very easy to reverse.

How do I know the above, look at my nom de plume!

I did not check that link and had been looking at

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331780628720?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

a few minutes earlier. Not often are there 2 on Ebay simultaneously.

Singles can be a pain to reverse, usually not doing so when you urgently need them to.

Double high pressure in a V with rods onto a single crank or with cylinders side by side and cranks at 90 degrees have one great advantage, they reverse without trouble. Singles, compounds and tripples can stall and the latter two are fitted with starting valves to help overcome the problem. Compounds and tripples use the steam more efficiently, everything else being equal. If I were on the Thames with frequent locks a double simple would do fine and I would not have those heart stopping moments, sometimes with accompanying shouting.

Edited by steamcompound

Double high pressure in a V with rods onto a single crank or with cylinders side by side and cranks at 90 degrees have one great advantage, they reverse without trouble. Singles, compounds and tripples can stall and the latter two are fitted with starting valves to help overcome the problem. Compounds and tripples use the steam more efficiently, everything else being equal. If I were on the Thames with frequent locks a double simple would do fine and I would not have those heart stopping moments, sometimes with accompanying shouting.

I don't doubt it is a practical engine.

It is still neither a compound or attractive. Can't say I'm keen on the prop shaft through the ashpan either

What's this all about?:

The engine comes with two eccentrics, one fixed direction for use with the variable pitch propeller included, the other a slip eccentric and gives both forward and reverse

Mind you, it's a lot of fun for the money

Richard