Generator plate decryption please

serenility

Featured Posts

I have a single cylinder diesel generator with a Yanmar A2 engine which I am assuming makes it quite old.

The specification plate attached to the generator has suffered over the years, and only the values are legible as they are stamped in whereas the parameters they represent are now illegible. I can make a reasonable guess at some of the figures, but I wonder if anyone can help with them all.

The set was made by a firm in Ipswich but I cannot remember what their name was.

A photo of the plate is at:

DSCN1484.jpg

and a photo of the genny is here:

DSCN1479.jpg

Cheers

Ian

My experience is with larger 3 phase generators from 10kVA to 3,000kVA. My best guess is:

Top line looks like type or serial number.

Second line on 240 volts, 1.5 kVA, 1500 rpm

3rd line 1 (single) phase, 6.7 don't know, 50 Hz, 1 (unity power factor.

4th line don't know

5th line don't know.

My experience is with larger 3 phase generators from 10kVA to 3,000kVA. My best guess is:

Top line looks like type or serial number.

Second line on 240 volts, 1.5 kVA, 1500 rpm

3rd line 1 (single) phase, 6.7 don't know, 50 Hz, 1 (unity power factor.

4th line don't know

5th line don't know.

4th 150 watts at 12 volts the two terminals on the side

3rd line, the "50 1" I would think is more likely 50Hz with the 1 meaning single phase?

4th line 12/15 10 150 could be 12 to 15Volts, 10 Amps and thus 150 Watts?

I think you are right to place a question mark after 150 watts. It would be poor value if that were all it produced.

I think you are right to place a question mark after 150 watts. It would be poor value if that were all it produced.

not really, lots of gennys only have a low powered low voltage output. Just look at the modern ones that people talk about battery charging.

Thank you for all your help.

I should have mentioned that the terminals on the side are indeed for battery charging, but also on the second photo you can just see sticking out on the right hand side a button (it's just like the foot dimmer switch on old cars) which when you press it turns the gen into a starter motor. Very Handy!

DSCN1477.jpg

This side photo shows an ammeter with charge and discharge but it seems to be affected by the AC load!

I agree that it is probably rated at 1500 kva but this afternoon I plugged a 3KW kettle into it and it boiled it with no drama.

Nice carpet Eh!

Is 6.7HP too outrageous a figure for the engine, it would equate to 5Kw?

Edited by serenility

Thank you for all your help.

I should have mentioned that the terminals on the side are indeed for battery charging, but also on the photo you can just see sticking out on the right hand side a button (it's just like the foot dimmer switch on old cars) which when you press it turns the gen into a starter motor. Very Handy!

DSCN1477.jpg

This side photo shows an ammeter with charge and discharge but it seems to be affected by the AC load!

I agree that it is probably rated at 1500 kva but this afternoon I plugged a 3KW kettle into it and it boiled it with no drama.

Nice carpet Eh!

Is 6.7HP too outrageous a figure for the engine, it would equate to 5Kw?

Did you time it to see how much power it was providing.

Doesn't look like any Markon Generator of my experience. Possibly an Onan.

1500 rpm means it is a 4-pole generator (much better than the 2-pole/3000rpm types).

6.7 HP would be right for 5 KVA/5KW which was a much more popular size for generator units. Most temporary traffic light boxes, pre battery LED ones, were a 5 KVA alternator with a small engine (Petter AA1- AD1 were popular in their day.) If it's a 1.5 KW it won't even look at a 3KW load for long (and then the magic smoke will escape), and why put such a big engine on it anyway.

N

ETA - Might be worth trying the plate details in the Help Wanted forum over on Internal Fire. The Stationary Engine chaps on there are a fount of knowledge going waaay back into history.

N

Edited by BEngo

Thank you for all your help.I should have mentioned that the terminals on the side are indeed for battery charging, but also on the second photo you can just see sticking out on the right hand side a button (it's just like the foot dimmer switch on old cars) which when you press it turns the gen into a starter motor. Very Handy!DSCN1477.jpgThis side photo shows an ammeter with charge and discharge but it seems to be affected by the AC load!I agree that it is probably rated at 1500 kva but this afternoon I plugged a 3KW kettle into it and it boiled it with no drama.Nice carpet Eh!Is 6.7HP too outrageous a figure for the engine, it would equate to 5Kw?

5kW is 5.36 horsepower, so I don't think the 6.7 is HP.

5kW is 5.36 horsepower, so I don't think the 6.7 is HP.

Don't forget the losses, both mechanical and electrical, in the altenator unit and control box. You also have to be able to generate 150 W of DC as well as xx KVA of AC.

N

Don't forget the losses, both mechanical and electrical, in the altenator unit and control box. You also have to be able to generate 150 W of DC as well as xx KVA of AC.N

True, I was about to edit my post, to say with larger 3 phase generators the engine is often oversized, relative to the alternator. Not because of inefficiencies (the engine and alternator are solidly coupled), but because commercial 3 phase generators are rated typically to give 110% of alternator output for 1 hour in every 12 whilst running continuously at full load.

Some are "sprint" or "fuel stop" rated, whereby they can be run at 125% of the alternators rated output for a limited time per annum, typically 250 hours.

However I don't think any of the above apply to the OP's generator set.

You said you thought it came from Ipswich in Suffolk

This company is 35 years old so could have built that and comes from Ipswich http://www.pramac-generators.co.uk/

or this one MRM generators http://www.mrmint.co.uk/Portals/0/Gallery/Album/21/6KVA%20YANMAR%20EXPORT%20ORDER.JPG