Oxalic acid

hilaryb

Featured Posts

Yes I haven used it with success to remove black water staining from oak which has been allowed to get wet in outdoor use over a period. As previously mentioned it bleaches the timber back to its original colour. If you look at - WWW construction chemicals.co.uk there is a useful demo video of its use and hazards.

Mike.

Oxalic acid is the principal ingredient of Bar Keepers Friend, don't know whether you could use that on wood though!

If you use oxalic acid on wood, is it necessary to neutralise it somehow?

I doubt if Bar Keepers Friend would have a high enough concentration of oxalic acid to be effective.

Use borax to neutralise it.

In my wood finishing days we used to use cotton wool to create a poultice around the stain. On vertical surfaces you can create a reservoir with blue tack to hold the poultice in position. Not really suitable larger vertical areas though. Probably best to just replace the panel.

Its best to neutralise the oxalic with successive applications of water or else the crystals break through whatever refinish material you apply after (found this out the hard way).