services at a boatyard. A quick survey!

stagedamager

Featured Posts

Afternoon all.

I'm conducting a little bit of research which I hope you can all help with. I'm intrigued to gauge boaters views of facilities provided at boatyards visited for work, maintenance or drydocking. No other reason than seeing whether the trends of the past 15 or 20 years are changing or not. If anyone is willing to spend a couple of minutes filling it out I will be very appreciative!

I will of course feed back results if you are interested!

Regards

Dan

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/6SKBGDX

Sorry, not clear on the numbering system as no zero provided or what is high or low.

I note they you seem to ignore slipways and lifts - only talk about a dry dock.

Prices up north will be very different from those on the Thames so trying to get a national picture is all but impossible.

I assumed (correctly im told?) that 1 is best.....

Daniel

Yep. Questions updated. I blame the wine last night!

Started to fill it out but decided its 'not for me'

I don't want a dry dock - I want a hoist and park on hard standing

I don't want to have blacking as I'm GRP

etc etc

no problem. It wouldn't be for everyone.

That feedback is also valid!

Edited by stagedamager

wine. all wine. ;)

duly updated, and a greenie served!

With regards the data, I'm just generally intrigued as to whether the trend of just going to your local boatyard, because its local is still valid or whether people are willing to travel a further distance for better facilities etc....

Something to waste away the cold winter nights!!

Dan

Sorry. 1 is high! Questions updated! !

I should have added a "how much would you be willing to pay for a 6 month dock hire for replanking" question!!! wink.png

in which case all my answers are reversed... I thought 10 was high!

yes, the 6 month question would have been good! :-)

I still do not see why you are fixated with dry-docks. Slipways, straddle lifts & cranes do just as well.

To the layman 'drydocking' might well include slipway/lifts but while in the main I would agree, for certain boats such as a wooden boat two-point contact is not enough to keep the boat flat, which rules out a significant number of options, we also find that at around 22 ton a lot of places with their own cranes are not interested in lifting us. I have also watched a boat be dropped 6ft when a slipway trolley leg failed, the boat was to my mind quite lucky to get away basically scot free. Likely saved by the fact it was a modern steel hull and the rear of the boat was still over the water which significantly damped the fall, given the size of the waves it sent over the whole marina! Once at rest the rear doors of the trad-stern had around 4inchs of freeboard.

Daniel

Survey completed by me also, although I think it's a bit of a silly survey, all a bit garbled and when people put 1 down as 10 by mistake then they have cocked the whole survey up for starters!

I think the most important thing for a dock is its reputation - spread by word of mouth and any other means. A good reputation will come as a result of friendly, courteous, polite, no-nonsense, knowledgeable and qualified staff, people who are happy to help you get the job done as quickly and as painlessly as possible without ripping you off.

I am still of the opinion that 'super docks' would be worth a try - where you don't need to book up for months in advance, where it's easy to drive in, and there's someone on site 24 hours/day. There should be a hull surveyor nearby (or living on site) and a BSS inspector nearby. Covered, lots of lighting, heated.

There are a lot of boats on the canals that need to be put into a better condition - and fast.