Keith Ball of Stretton has died.

TimYoung

Featured Posts

I heard yesterday. A larger than life character who ran Industry Narrowboats based near to the A5 aqueduct at Stretton on the Shroppie.

I have a good few memories of working with him over the years, lettering and decorating boats. Another knowledgeable boating character lost. RIP Keith.

Dave

Yes, this news has been out for a few days now, I didn't realise it was not on the forum.

Keith had been fighting a gallant battle for a few years now, and I saw him working long dedicated hours in the yard in the freezing cold, when it was obvious he was very far from well.

Although this is clearly a piece of sad news that at some stage was going to be an inevitability, I still found it shocking when it was posted.

RIP Keith & condolences to his family.

Well, what a shame. Not a shock, because I was aware of his situation, but still sad.

First met him at Alrewas in about '84, when he and Christine lived on Gerald, with goats housed in the fore-end. We hit it off immediately, and became good friends, doing various deals over the years. I hadn't spoken to him since just before he was about to undergo some sort of gene replacement treatment. He was pretty upbeat about it.

Tempus fugit.

Just to let you all know, Keith's wake will be on Saturday 27 February at the Hartley Arms, Wheaton Aston.

All that knew Keith are welcome although we would like an idea of numbers.

The first round will be on Keith and it'll be a celebration of a great man who will be sorely missed.

Just to let you all know, Keith's wake will be on Saturday 27 February at the Hartley Arms, Wheaton Aston.

Don't think I can make it, but its a possibility.

Is this a wake in the real sense of the word, or a gathering after the funeral to celebrate his life?

As there will not be a funeral it is a definite gathering to celebrate his life. I think the last thing Keith would want is lots of people suited and booted with long faces. One of his last requests was that everyone have a good piss up.

Rather than black attire, a holey woollen jumper dress code would be more appropriate.

Rather than black attire, a holey woollen jumper dress code would be more appropriate.

I think Mike would look "great" in a holey woollen jumper dress, so if he were to wear one, it sounds like this might have please Keith considerably!

A sad loss indeed.

We used to own Nb Pendorric which Keith built in the 90's. We took it back to stretton wharf a couple years ago to meet up with him and we enjoyed an afternoon in his company. What a great chap.

My condolences to his family.

All that knew Keith are welcome although we would like an idea of numbers.

The first round will be on Keith and it'll be a celebration of a great man who will be sorely missed.

Sorry I won't be able to make it. I am still not well enough to travel such a distance.

I hope the memories and drinks flow well. Keith would have loved that.

George ex nb Alton retired

Its a sad loss. I will never forget seeing his beaming face when I showed up to have a look at the two bits of The Jam Butty which were supposed to be aligned to test the look - only to find he had spent the previous two weeks welding it into a nearly functioning boat.

• 3 weeks later...

To all who have contributed to this thread thank you so much.

Keith & I met when we were both 15. Our families lived in Hathersage in the Hope Valley, Derbyshire. After leaving school Keith spent five years at Sheffield College of Art. Boat building, especially the restoration of old classic narrowboats was the perfect way for him to express his artistic ability some years later. He had a real "eye" for detail & lines and couldn't stand any imperfections. We discovered the canals in the early 1970's while working for Sheffield local authority as social workers. Keith ran an art therapy unit & I started keeping goats helped by children who were classed as emotionally disturbed. Most were wonderful kids but from disturbed or dysfunctional families. We took them on several canal holidays which they loved. And we discovered that we loved it too. Our first narrowboat purchased in 1981 was a 1912 70' Stewarts & Lloyds called "Gerald". Keith built a separate fore-cabin so that I could house two Golden Guernsey goats. We soon became known around the system as the "goat boat". People may have forgotten our names but they didn't forget the goats!

We spent 8 wonderful years afloat by which time Keith had acquired other boats too. The butty Malvern was one of the first. I recall us filling that with a load of lucerne hay for the goats! Over the years many others followed. Some are still waiting patiently for restoration. But sadly the boss is now gone. He fought a long battle against multiple myeloma for over 5 years. He had two stem cell transplants (using his own cells) and the latest drugs. He was one of 40 patients in the country on a research project. He was due for a donor transplant in 2014 but his myeloma flared up just prior to being admitted to QE and it never took place. He picked up an infection in late January and his immune system just couldn't cope. His liver and kidneys let him down but he wasn't in pain and the end was peaceful. His last wish was for us or organise a wake with the first round on him. With much help from our three sons & their girls that is what we did. The Hartley Arms at Wheaton Aston was full to bursting, It was a joyous celebration of his life & a very memorable afternoon. Our close friend Iain McTavish gave a wonderful speech which had us all laughing. Keith would have been delighted I know. The water can from nb "Hampstead" (beautifully painted by Mavis Blunn) was available for any donations to the Stafford Chemo Unit. I am delighted to say to any of you that were present or contributed that I will shortly be writing a cheque for £600. A magnificent effort.

Keith was well known for his stories. He really should have written a book but I'm sure they will not be forgotten. Anyway the boss is gone but his boatyard carries on. We'll be doing our best to offer services as usual at Stretton Wharf on the Shroppie but we have big boots to fill.

Love to all, Christine. x

• Greenie 3

Lovely piece Christine, I lost count the amount of times Keith tried to sell me one of his hulls when i was in the yard with Barney and the others.. Nice to hear how much was raised for Stafford Chemo Unit and that my small donation will go to good use.