engine leaking and not sure if we should pull out- help

Anna_Licorice

Featured Posts

I lived in Lancashire until I was 8, them moved south.

In those days the soft liquorice sweets such as pntefract cakes and allsorts was for some reason thst i csnt fsthom, know as "Spanish".

Liquorice was used to describe the natural woody sticks that you sucked it chewed.

We called that Spanish Root.

Tony

SWMBO (who grew up in Ponte, though she's definitely NOT a Yorkshire woman) says Spanish was the really hard stuff you had to suck, not chew. It snapped if you tried to bend it. The woody sticks were liquorice root.

Nowadays, we prefer the Aussie soft liquorice, very moreish, but don't go more than five minutes away from a bog the next day if you ate more than two pieces...

We called it Spanish too. There were also Spanish bats that were about 8'' long with one end flattened, also licorice telephone wire like long lengths of string. Also ''Little Imps'' which were tiny hard strong licorice pills for helping constipation, 'as did Exlax', Little Imps came in a tiny packet about the size of half a matchbox.

A friend of mine used to work at the Trebor factory in Woodford, East London and he reckoned that their licorice was made from all the hot sugary treacley dregs left over from making other sweets with a drop of concentrated licorice juice added.

I'm addicted to sherbet fountains.

We called it Spanish too. There were also Spanish bats that were about 8'' long with one end flattened, also licorice telephone wire like long lengths of string. Also ''Little Imps'' which were tiny hard strong licorice pills for helping constipation, 'as did Exlax', Little Imps came in a tiny packet about the size of half a matchbox.

A friend of mine used to work at the Trebor factory in Woodford, East London and he reckoned that their licorice was made from all the hot sugary treacley dregs left over from making other sweets with a drop of concentrated licorice juice added.

I'm addicted to sherbet fountains.

I remember imps, I used to love them. Sadly they are no longer made but Nipits are similar but not so strong, and come in a similarly sized tin.

Ah yes, I remember them now. I also seem to remember tubes of chocolate dressed up as cigarettes with a paper wrap, sold in mock cigarette packets, confectionery boxes of matches, and liquorice smoking pipes complete with red sugar strands to represent burning tobacco. How times change.

I remember the sweet cigarettes, Spanish pipes and the frizzy orangey coloured licorice tobacco. Remember Tiger nuts, you chewed em and ended up with a mouthful of mush that you couldn't swallow and had to spit it out.

Too funny. I'm fine- feeling boatly uneducated and now licorice uneducated. Self esteem taking a beating! Lol

Oh the krect word is 'edumacated', obviously. I learned this from my daughter Polly.

She has a strange mind and will make an EXCELLENT boater. She just hasn't figured this out yet :)

A bit like the OP Anna Lic. Take a self esteem hike!