engine leaking and not sure if we should pull out- help

Anna_Licorice

Featured Posts

Update:

(for those interested)

The engineer phoned me. Said that he had spent some time on the boat- that there was no oil in the water and no back pressure. He thinks that when the boats were moved the exhause caught some prop wash. He says what the surveyor saw (and showed me on the phone) may have been water and carbon. I later spoke to my surveyor and he finds this believable.

The wire temperature sender had come off and the temperature gauge does not work- the buzzer and light is the only alarm to if the engine is going to overheat. I find this difficult and would want that fixed- not sure if it is a big or small job.

I asked about the 28hp engine carrying us on a river and the engineer said that the previous owner had moored on the Kand A- and that the engine would work hard, but that it would anyway.

Anyone out there stretched their boat and not upgraded the engine??

The head has been checked for cracking and skimmed so that it is flat (honestly guys I pretty much typed what he told me so I could look it up- so if I'm relaying it incorrectly it's only my inexperience). It has a new head gasket.

That's my update, I talked to the surveyor after this call and he said that if the engineer is happy with the engine then he really has no reason to lie- his work, like so many others has to be reputations based.

He sounded genuine and said that as I'll be mooring up there he will continue to offer help and advice and if I had any questions he would gladly answer them etc.

I told my surveyor that I was quite nervous about the boat and he said that he is suspicious by nature, but that it all looks fine and accountable. So I guess what it comes down to is- you pay for a survey and you have to at some point trust the recommendations. She's a sweet boat that will serve my wife and I well, . I've been catching up on old posts from this forum and one quote (sorry I don't know who said it, my dear apologies) was - no one who owns a narrowboat ever looked back at the end and said I wish I'd spent less time on the narrowboat- or something like that! I don't want to make a bad decision, but I think I can work with the information that I have about this boat.

• Greenie 2

You seem determined to go ahead anyway.

As others have also said -

It's overpriced for that sort of boat and age; to my mind a stretched boat is worth less than an unstretched equivalent

There's nothing exceptional about the layout or quality of fittings

It's underpowered for serious river cruising - much of the K&A is not 'river', but there are some parts at either end where a bit of extra 'welly' would be more than just 'desirable'.

I guess you're just tired of looking and want to do 'something'.

Others may not agree.

Fixing the temperature gauge is no biggie, certainly not worth rejecting the boat. I agree that it's overpriced, but the broker here at Mercia is selling boats as fast as they can get them, so it's a seller's market at the moment.

As has been said on here many a time, the boat chooses you, not the other way around. If this is the one you want, go for it.

Anna, does it seem that the boat wants YOU?

You seem to be very determined and well-researched, and I applaud that.

With the information that you've given, it seems to me that you should buy her.

PS But don't come back here crying 'cos you made a crap decision!

If you like the boat then I would just do it.

We were in a similar situation when we got the boat, but we were sure the engine was not healthy. We negotiated a bit of money off to finance some remedial work but before long realised an engine replacement was the only option. I was lucky in that I have the skills to do this, plus a friend who knows how to lift very heavy things. It was a lot of stress but also quite enjoyable. I am now sure we did make the right decision getting the boat.

If it all goes wrong and you need a new engine in a years time will this merely be a big inconvenience or the end of your boating world?.

The engine might be just a little small so you will have to take a bit more care not to go onto the Thames in bad conditions!!!!, but many people get on fine with boats that are much more under powered, it will most likely make you a better boater anyway.

................Dave

You seem determined to go ahead anyway​I'm not a child- determination has little to do with it. As I said I got a survey- on a boat I liked- and it seems like it will be fine!

As others have also said -

It's overpriced for that sort of boat and age;​Yes I've heard this- and yet- no other suitable boats are around- if I want a boat now- which I do- and I'm not ashamed of that- I have every right to want a boat. It may well be a 'sellers' market. Good on the seller, I'm happy for them. Swings and roundabouts. Maybe slippery dips. to my mind a stretched boat is worth less than an unstretched equivalent ​I was wondering- do others agree?

There's nothing exceptional about the layout or quality of fittings ​Has been said- but, it's really a matter of opinion. We put in an offer on a different boat at Rugby, and were unfortunately not negotiated with. We also didn't get a chance to look at other boats there as maybe we didn't fit properly with their establishment.

It's underpowered for serious river cruising - much of the K&A is not 'river', but there are some parts at either end where a bit of extra 'welly' would be more than just 'desirable'. hThis is the one issue that I think is genuine. Pooh Pooh the boat as much as you want, but actually it comes down with us making peace with the size of the engine.

I guess you're just tired of looking and want to do 'something'. ​What do you know of my 'tiredness'? And the tone here is actually quite offensive. I do not think I have done anything to warrant this reply or the picture you seem to want to paint about me.

Others may not agree.

Anna, does it seem that the boat wants YOU?

You seem to be very determined and well-researched, and I applaud that.

With the information that you've given, it seems to me that you should buy her.

PS But don't come back here crying 'cos you made a crap decision!

So true. I have tried to research. And we have viewed many boats, and like I said we have made two genuine offers.

I will not come back and cry- well I might- but not for sympathy only for advice.

• Greenie 3

So true. I have tried to research. And we have viewed many boats, and like I said we have made two genuine offers.

I will not come back and cry- well I might- but not for sympathy only for advice.

Well you'd get both for free!

I can't tell you to go and buy that boat, but YOU can...

Greenie.

With that attitude, you deserve a great boating life and I hope you have one.

All the very best

Bruce

• Greenie 1

As others have said, the temperature gauge is an easy fix. It is either the gauge, the sender or the wiring between the two. Less than an hours labour, plus parts.

To my mind a stretched boat is worth a little less than the same but unstretched, maybe 5% less if it has been done well.

The engine power is adequate, rather than generous. Fully laden working boats managed to tow laden butties with less power.

If you are comfortable with the deal, go for it. I would still try to knock 10% off the price though. (If the offer is not accepted you can always increase it).

Edited for speelung.

Edited by cuthound

As others have said, the temperature gauge is an easy fix. It is either the gauge, the sender or the wiring between the two. Less than an hours labour, plus parts.

To my mind a stretched boat is worth a little less than the same but unstretched, maybe 5% less if it has been done well.

The engine power is adequate, rather than generous. Fully laden working boats managed to tow laden butties with less power.

If you are comfortable with the deal, go for it. I would still try to knock 10% off the price though. (If the offer is not accepted you can always increase it).

Edited for speelung.

Wow, thanks for this post. It's so helpful. The surveyor says the stretch is a good one, and so we are happy with it. But, it is good to know about value- especially as it is an area we haven't considered.

Wow, thanks for this post. It's so helpful. The surveyor says the stretch is a good one, and so we are happy with it. But, it is good to know about value- especially as it is an area we haven't considered.

They might even accept Pontefract cakes in part payment.

Greenie.

With that attitude, you deserve a great boating life and I hope you have one.

All the very best

Bruce

+1!

Can you still get them? I haven't seen them for years!

Am sure that posh bakery in Stone does 'em... Bakery's called "Stone Baked" IIRC......

They might even accept Pontefract cakes in part payment.

Can you still get them? I haven't seen them for years!

Am sure that posh bakery in Stone does 'em... Bakery's called "Stone Baked" IIRC......

Is this one of those things that has completely different meaning to a Northerner and a Southerner?

To me a "Pontefract Cake" is not a "cake" at all, it is a disk shaped liquorice sweet.

I wouldn't expect them to come from bakeries, rarher from confectioners.......

Edited by alan_fincher

Is this one of those things that has completely different meaning to a Northerner and a Southerner?

To me a "Pontefract Cake" is not a "cake" at all, it is a disk shaped liquorice sweet.

I wouldn't expect them to come from bakeries, rarher from confectioners.......

Where should a pancake come from?