engine leaking and not sure if we should pull out- help

Anna_Licorice

Featured Posts

Depends how it has been used TBH. If it has been on rivers a lot, it may have been a bit underpowered. On canals it should have been enough power if correct propeller fitted. Now many hours are on the clock?

If the hull is what you want, and you can get a nice new engine out of the deal, it might be worth considering.

Is there any record of who stretched it, and what is the surveyors opinion of the workmanship?

Not sure what the hours are, I'll check that.

The surveyor said it was an excellent stretch.

I'm wondering if it is worth considering the boat still if the engine is put right- because that was our original offer. A boat with an engine!

changed my mind

Richard

Well, that's a lady's prerogative.

Oh, wait...

I'm wondering if it is worth considering the boat still if the engine is put right- because that was our original offer. A boat with an engine!

How do you know that it'll be put right? Will there be a warranty on the engine after they repair it?

Personally... you say you put in an offer for what you thought it was worth and now it may need a new engine. So it's now worth £2k (or more) less... walk away or get a decent reduction in price and fix it out of your own pocket (when you'll have a warranty)

Tony

It is very hard really without seeing the boat. All I would say is that there are plenty of boats for sale with good engines at the right money. Another thing to consider; if going for a bigger engine (which might be advisable at 52 ft) , the existing skin tank might not be big enough, plus the prop will likely need changing.

Of course the existing engine might not be a write off, but there is no way we can know that without further investigation.

Anna_Licorice,allsorts could be wrong with the engine. If you do decide to let them repair it pay regular unannounced visits to the boat during the process with someone who knows a bit about engines who can politely cross examine them about whats what, keep them on the ball, and not stitch you up with a botch job.

£40k for a fairly ordinary 52ft boat from 2001 sounds like a lot too much money, even with a good engine. If it does need a new engine at £6k or £7k, you would also want something for the hassle of arranging things - plus you know little/nothing about boats, so what happens when the new engine doesn't work quite right and the company who fitted it wriggle regarding the warranty.

It might be a simple fix, but you have no way of knowing, so I would be running away very very fast, and rationalise the survey fee as the cost of avoiding the purchase of an expensive money pit.

Its easy to turn your money into boat, but not easy to turn your boat into money.

Lots more boats for sale!!!

• Greenie 1

Yes, I agree.

The brokerage website says we can pull out and keep our deposit if the price of hull or engine exceed 5% of sale price. A new engine would definitely fall in that category. how they would determine it needed the new engine I'm not sure- and who pays for that? We may just walk away having lost the surveyor and lift out fee.

Though the website also says there is 'nothing that can't be fixed, repaired or replaced.

Yes, I agree.

The brokerage website says we can pull out and keep our deposit if the price of hull or engine exceed 5% of sale price. A new engine would definitely fall in that category. how they would determine it needed the new engine I'm not sure- and who pays for that? We may just walk away having lost the surveyor and lift out fee.

Though the website also says there is 'nothing that can't be fixed, repaired or replaced.

If you leave it to them to sort out, it's pretty much a given that they will bodge it in the cheapest way possible rather than doing it properly. If you have to go ahead with this boat, get your own diesel fitter to diagnose the faults and lower your offer accordingly.

If you tell us what you are looking for in a boat and how much you want to pay there will be many helpful members that will suggest various boats listed for sale . Pump out toilet or cassette will generate opinions from both camps but the more details you list the more helpful it will be .

I bought my boat 30 years ago and there was no Forum such as this for advice .

What a pity the surveyor wasn't more specific about where the oil and water leaks were . As has already been pointed out it could cost very little to fix tighten a hose clip and replace a gasket for example . On the other hand worn piston rings , cracked head / block will be an expensive fix.

If you tell us what you are looking for in a boat and how much you want to pay there will be many helpful members that will suggest various boats listed for sale . Pump out toilet or cassette will generate opinions from both camps but the more details you list the more helpful it will be .

Top budget of £40,000. Cassette preference. 50-60ft. Cruiser stern preferred. Dinette. Stove. Walk through bathroom preferred.

Oh- and a working engine (never thought I'd need to specify that!)

From the comments that you keep saying the broker has made I assume that the broker is xxxxx (deleted)

If it is, walk quickly away with your hand holding your cheque book firmly in your pocket.

Edited as the broker is not who I thought it was.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

What a pity the surveyor wasn't more specific about where the oil and water leaks were . As has already been pointed out it could cost very little to fix tighten a hose clip and replace a gasket for example . On the other hand worn piston rings , cracked head / block will be an expensive fix.

He suggested a nautical engineer takes the boat out and really gets it hot- I think this would check the compression. He did suggest we be there for it also- to make sure that it all went accordingly and that we were happy that it was being tested properly.

I guess a hull without holes in it too wink.png

Picky! yep!

From the comments that you keep saying the broker has made I assume that the broker is xxx.

If it is, walk quickly away with your hand holding your cheque book firmly in your pocket.

No, it's not actually. But we are still concerned and grasping the cheque book with one hand and one eye on the exit.

Edited by Anna_Licorice

My thoughts are:

1) This boat is already overpriced for a pedestrian 15 year old Liverpool boat of which there are probably a dozen or so for sale at any one time, never mind the knackered engine.

2) They know the engine problems are a bag of worms or they'd have fixed them before offering for sale.

3) A stretched boat is always a compromise compared to a boat built to that length in the fist place. The bow and stern shapes are forshortened as the length reduces in a new build, so a stretched boat will have inappropriately stumpy bow and stern.

4) This boat probably cost less new than the asking price.

5) Stretched boats tend to retain their original (short) bathroom, galley and bedroom, with the stretched space being an unnaturally long saloon.

6) Far better to buy one of the several dozen other clonecraft on the market at any given time, built to to right length in the first plaice, and with engines that work!

• Greenie 1

3) A stretched boat is always a compromise compared to a boat built to that length in the fist place. The bow and stern shapes are forshortened as the length reduces in a new build, so a stretched boat will have inappropriately stumpy bow and stern.

I very much doubt that is true for this particular boat.

I bet a 42 foot Liverpool Boats narrow boat built in 2001 would have had front and back ends built to an identical template to a 52 foot one, or even a 62 foot one.

If the original boat had been much shorter it might have been a bit "stumpier", but not if it was over 40 feet originally.