when will they ever learn?

Murflynn

Featured Posts

At 4pm on a Sunday, this is a late entry into the most "random topic of the week" competition.

I'll have you know there is nothing random about ampsters, that is a shocking suggestion. Current theory states that they come in eddies

They will only learn when people like yourself educate them. Something you fail to do here so what is the correct terminology.

amp.hours per hour will do nicely if you insist, but it would be unnecessarily verbacious ......................... in my humble opinion of course.

I'll have you know there is nothing random about ampsters, that is a shocking suggestion. Current theory states that they come in eddies

it is an offence under the Sudanese Prevention of Cruelty to Animals legislation to shock hamsters even if you use Eddie's currants.

amp.hours per hour will do nicely if you insist, but it would be unnecessarily verbacious ......................... in my humble opinion of course.

it is an offence under the Sudanese Prevention of Cruelty to Animals legislation to shock hamsters even if you use Eddie's currants.

Was that a ruling by the Sultana

Well just to be awkward I'll point out that there is such a thing as amps per hour, it being a rate of change of current (rather slowly, given the time units selected). So for example in deciding when your batteries are charged, you might consider that less than X amps per hour rate of change of current (at constant charging voltage) signifies fully charged.

Well just to be awkward I'll point out that there is such a thing as amps per hour, it being a rate of change of current (rather slowly, given the time units selected). So for example in deciding when your batteries are charged, you might consider that less than X amps per hour rate of change of current (at constant charging voltage) signifies fully charged.

Amps per hour might be a sensible unit for plotting the performance of a solar panel

Richard

There's a couple of legitimate uses for Amps per hour, but its incorrect usage is far more widespread. The only real solution is Education. The concepts aren't massively complicated and should be within the grasp of 99% of people, but some people do prefer to shrug their shoulders instead of investing their time/effort/brainpower into developing a proper understanding of electricity. It doesn't particularly worry me, but it would be nice to find a way to effectively educate/inform.

There's a couple of legitimate uses for Amps per hour, but its incorrect usage is far more widespread. The only real solution is Education. The concepts aren't massively complicated and should be within the grasp of 99% of people, but some people do prefer to shrug their shoulders instead of investing their time/effort/brainpower into developing a proper understanding of electricity. It doesn't particularly worry me, but it would be nice to find a way to effectively educate/inform.

I haven't checked recently, but many so-called 'data sheets' for fridges (shown in shopping websites) described the current draw as amps per hour. What they should state is the peak current draw, and the average current over a full 24 hour cycle (which is the total number of amp.hours used over 24 hours, divided by 24 hours). Some bright advertising executive presumably tries to give more information by using the term amps per hour. God save us from journalists and 'The Meedya'.

The way to edyucaite peeps is to teach them at skool, but apparently human rights and media studies are more important than factual subjects like use of English, physics and maths, which are considered to be boring and old-fashioned by modern yoof and their teechers.

While I'm on the subject of data sheets for web shopping, I recently tried to buy 2 extinguishers to meet BSS examination standards. Most did not specifically state any certification displayed on the cylinder (or show a photo of the back of the cylinder where the information may be displayed), or state the capacity rating, e.g. 8A/21B which is the most common and does not fulfil BSC requirements. Even Kidde, the market leader, was ambiguous about certification, simply stating 'certified as meeting EN standards' or words to that effect. No mention of the kitemark, which I now learn appears on their extinguishers. Don't these peeps want our business?

factual subjects like use of English, physics and maths, which are considered to be boring and old-fashioned by modern yoof and their teechers.

Don't blame the teachers! Since 1988 they have been tied to what the government says they have to teach and used as a political football with course requirements often changing in the middle of the kids course.

I haven't checked recently, but many so-called 'data sheets' for fridges (shown in shopping websites) described the current draw as amps per hour. What they should state is the peak current draw, and the average current over a full 24 hour cycle (which is the total number of amp.hours used over 24 hours, divided by 24 hours).

Just purchased a fridge freezer and the only consumption figures available was the (for my purpose) rather useless 232 kwh/annum

Just purchased a fridge freezer and the only consumption figures available was the (for my purpose) rather useless 232 kwh/annum

Actually, that's an excellent consumption figure to be given - one of the easiest to calculate.

232/365 gives us 0.636 kWh per day. Or 63.6 Ah per day.

So this shows us that it's a pretty inefficient fridge/freezer.

Tony

Actually, that's an excellent consumption figure to be given - one of the easiest to calculate.

232/365 gives us 0.636 kWh per day. Or 63.6 Ah per day.

So this shows us that it's a pretty inefficient fridge/freezer.

Tony

Ah depends on the volt in this case