The Bargee

pig

Featured Posts

The narrow-boats Banstead and Bellerophon which were used in the film were built around 1935 and are still in existence (2005). Bellerophon became a horse drawn trip-boat and was renamed Iona. In this guise it made an appearance in the British TV soap Coronation Street (1960). Banstead was recently offered for sale as one of a working pair of boats with a GBP 75,000 price tag.

post-20094-0-97038100-1455439751_thumb.png

Some people may be wondering why they can't find Freeview channel 81, even after retuning. For example our recorder gets it but our TV doesn't. It turns out that 81 is an HD channel so if your TV is just "HD ready" instead of "full HD" it won't be able to receive it.

The narrow-boats Banstead and Bellerophon which were used in the film were built around 1935 and are still in existence (2005). Bellerophon became a horse drawn trip-boat and was renamed Iona. In this guise it made an appearance in the British TV soap Coronation Street (1960). Banstead was recently offered for sale as one of a working pair of boats with a GBP 75,000 price tag.

You are correct in that BANSTEAD and BELLEROPHON are both extant, but there is an inconsistency with any 1960 appearance on Coronation Street.

BELLEROPHON certainly did become a horse drawn trip boat renamed as IONA, but this was not until the late 1960's (sold by B.W.B. 1968). BELLEROPHON replaced the wooden horse drawn trip boat IONA, a role that this boat did for a relatively short period of time as it was still in full time carrying with Blue Line Cruisers Ltd., Braunston in 1962, but was certainly a trip boat by 1965.

edit = there is a more comprehensive thread regarding this film and the boats in the History and Heritage section of this Forum captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Some people may be wondering why they can't find Freeview channel 81, even after retuning. For example our recorder gets it but our TV doesn't. It turns out that 81 is an HD channel so if your TV is just "HD ready" instead of "full HD" it won't be able to receive it.

Or it may not be broadcast on the local transmitter as is the case with Mendip so I am unable to receive it.

There's a boat with "The Bargee" written on it's cloths, cant remember what boat was called poss Banstead. Saw it a little while ago.

Yes, it was until relatively recently owned by forum member BenC, and before he sold both paired with butty "Bodmin".

Both used to have home moorings just above Kings Langley lock no 69A, but I'm not sure where either are now based.

Yes, it was until relatively recently owned by forum member BenC, and before he sold both paired with butty "Bodmin".

Both used to have home moorings just above Kings Langley lock no 69A, but I'm not sure where either are now based.

Ah yes, I had a tea with Ben on his mooring watching Dave M lettering the butty just before Ben sold.

I told you I had a bad memory boat.gif Mind you, I passed K Langley many a time and don't remember any cloths stating "The Bargee" (I guess they are a recent addition).

20141003_122329_resized_zps34094907.jpg

Edited by mark99

For those who want to watch "The Bargee" and have windows 10.

Go to the windows 10 store and search for films.

ifreefilm (Films Arina) can be found and downloaded for free, then use this to get your copy of The Bargee, and pretty much any other film that has been!

It costs nothing!

Nipper

For those who want to watch "The Bargee" and have windows 10.

Go to the windows 10 store and search for films.

ifreefilm (Films Arina) can be found and downloaded for free, then use this to get your copy of The Bargee, and pretty much any other film that has been!

It costs nothing!

Nipper

top tip!

Edit

OK, not so top tip the film search does not find the Bargee for me.

Edited by churchward