LED lights, which to look at?

W+T

Featured Posts

I am in need of sorting the wireing out for my fit out and now the lights need to be sought to work out whats what what the wiring needs. I want to fit 10-12 LED lights around the cabin, small cruiser, i see there are so many to look at, i have found these on fleabay but unsure on the out put, as in brightness needed and enough watts..It will have 5-6 LED`s on each side, top and side under gunwale which will be switched independant of each top and bottom..

There will be others in the head and above the galley,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141887381526?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171397907062?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=470442842421&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111590521475?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Or any other suggestion on lighting..

Edited by W+T

Well, the first link is to red LEDs, so unless you have some suspect activities going on in the boat they're probably unsuitable ;)

The second link look like what they are - slimline under cabinet lights.

The third link looks right but you're buying halogen bulbs that you don't want, then you have to buy LEDs to suit.

Tony

Well, the first link is to red LEDs, so unless you have some suspect activities going on in the boat they're probably unsuitable wink.png

The second link look like what they are - slimline under cabinet lights.

The third link looks right but you're buying halogen bulbs that you don't want, then you have to buy LEDs to suit.

Tony

I can get the first in warm white, the second will they do or just cheap stuff that will not last, third any good with LED bulbs.

Prices vary so much, i believe you get what you pay for, but then a light is a light...or is it?

I dont want to fit lights that are no good, not bright enough or fail in one way or another.

Thanks Quaysider, had a quick look and good selection. I am after some shallow ones as as possible.

I also found these, i like these a lot, but 1.5w does not seem much, even with the amount i want.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262224075600?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I bought my warm whites from Midland Chandlers, no problems found, and an acceptable light.

I have been told though that Midland chandlers are over priced, unless i can get the same for a better price. I understand though they will be selling good quality gear. Iam on a tight budget Loafer, thats the only problem but dont want to skimp to much on buying crap.

Thanks Quaysider, had a quick look and good selection. I am after some shallow ones as as possible.

I also found these, i like these a lot, but 1.5w does not seem much, even with the amount i want.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262224075600?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have been told though that Midland chandlers are over priced, unless i can get the same for a better price. I understand though they will be selling good quality gear. Iam on a tight budget Loafer, thats the only problem but dont want to skimp to much on buying crap.

Understood. But Midland are good with after-sales, not sure about some eBay sellers.

I have purchased cheapo LED lamps from ebay on several occasions and there is always 'something' wrong with them.

Any I buy these days I get from Bedazzled as by and large, you get what you ordered and they work with no problems.

(Edit to capitalise the initial of the trade name.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I've spent some time looking at LED lights an did get some from ebay. I accept they aren't identical to the ones you are looking at but a similar sort of thing. My advice is don't do the same. The quality just isn't there. There is also in some ways a risk element. Part of you will always wonder if the cheaper ones are reliable and more importantly safe. In the overall cost of the restoration is the difference really that much.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you but there is a huge difference between cheap and value.

Now, how many watts will be enough?

That is puzzling me some watt lol, sorry had to be said lol.

A dozen 1.5w LED`s does not sound much. The cabin is around 12 foot long.

A dozen will be bright. You might want to zone them. There's nothing stopping you changing the 'bulbs' in some of them at a later date anyway, the fitments won't care.

Ah so i can change the LEDS if need be, i was in the thinking they were sort of sealed in bulbs.

If i dont need a dozen at 1.5w then i can afford the better ones as then i can get less. £12 each is a lot to me if i need 12 lights, but if i can get away with less....

I notice some are 2watt also, so even better now.

More important than the power drain, IMHO, is the colour of the light. Even the so-called 'warm white' ones are a little harsh, and both mine and the Nagger's reading lights (at bedside) are standard filament bulbs. Or oil lamps, depending on the mood.

Harsh white ones are terrible to live with, if you ask me. Or the Nagger.

ETA: To use Midland as an example again, they sell a roof light that has a brass reflector behind the bulb. These help to make your LED light more 'yellowy' than normal, and we like them. They also sell the LED bulbs that fit.

None have ever gone wrong yet. (I mentioned returning one earlier - there was nothing wrong with it though.)

Edited by Loafer

I just used http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/300-remote-control-led-christmas-lights-warm-white-a06qbwhich eats 32w to light a 72ft narrowboat on both sides £20 - they are 2700 kelvin (which is a very warm candle like light)

for kitchen area or reading light found IKEA did a nice usb powered one http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00321398/

I just used http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/300-remote-control-led-christmas-lights-warm-white-a06qbwhich eats 32w to light a 72ft narrowboat on both sides £20 - they are 2700 kelvin (which is a very warm candle like light)

I've been looking for something like this. Two questions:

1. Can you bypass/ignore the timer?

2. Can you have them static?

Tony

Edited by WotEver

Ah so i can change the LEDS if need be, i was in the thinking they were sort of sealed in bulbs.

If i dont need a dozen at 1.5w then i can afford the better ones as then i can get less. £12 each is a lot to me if i need 12 lights, but if i can get away with less....

I notice some are 2watt also, so even better now.

Warning, wink.png

Watts has nothing to do with brightness.

Lumen's is a measure of brightness.

Light colour has an effect, you need 'warm white' for living with think ordinary house lighting, 'cool white' is similar to LED torches think operating theatre.

You can have nearly any light fitting you like as there will almost definitely be an LED bulb lamp to fit. (may need an adaptor)

Have a look at Bedazzled for the different lamps and the adaptors available

Read the Bedazzled website, before ordering from anywhere.

Not all LEDs are the same, and not all are suitable for boat use. 12v mains type, often cannot handle the 13-15 volts that alternators put out. Its tempting to wire them direct, not using the supplied transformer, which creates a constant 12vdc from 240ac.

Radio interferance can also be a problem, with some cheaper LEDs.

Bod

Who was caught on radio interferance!