Leads/Liverpool from Wigan locks to Leads

Kendorr

Featured Posts

It's not the controls that need moving, it's the landing stages that need moving to the offside like several of those on the Lancashire side.

That wouldn't be possible in the majority of areas where it's a busy road and a automated one is used, as they tend to be in built up areas.

Not all the electric swing bridges are fully automated, on quite a few you still have to push the bridge open and closed once the electric barriers are down.

I would call that a manual bridge.

That wouldn't be possible in the majority of areas where it's a busy road and a automated one is used, as they tend to be in built up areas.

I would call that a manual bridge.

Well you still need a key to operate the bridge and lower the jacks before you can open it..have you ever been on the L & L..?

Thanks for all the discussion, very interesting to hear peoples views, I'll hope to see all the bridges in August/September.

The canalplan site is good for swing bridge details, especially if it's normally left open or stiff. I've had to use a pulley system on one partially stiff bridge near Rodley. Was okay the next time I used it tho.

Only thing I would recommend is a couple of longer than usual ropes, take your time and not to be rushed by waiting cars.

Edit to add, a small extendable aluminium boat hook I find useful as well.

Edited by Robbo

Just a thought but is it worth carrying some spare rope with you. Did part of this stretch last year (with crew) and if I remember correctly one or two of he bridges has a tendency to want to close by themselves. Another boat had smashed a window when the crew couldn't hold the bridge open, due to the wind.

It would be very possible on the majority of all the swing bridges between Leeds & Skipton making life a lot easier for single handed boaters

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a few notifications from CRT that they are relocating the pedestal on a number of bridges along the L&L to improve ease of operation for single handed boaters!

So far...

197, Bar Lane Swing Bridge

182A, Bradley Swing Bridge

Also ... 16, 20, 36

Edited by Robbo