Eberspacher problem?

RichM

Featured Posts

Hi,

I have a Eberspacher on my narrowboat. It fires up for about 5 minutes and then cuts out even with the temperature set at 28c.

I know one of the batteries is weak as it does not hold charge for long. Could this be related? The problem also happens while running on a shoreline - the eberspacher will cut out after around 5 min.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Arm

It probably needs taking apart and de-coking, which in itself needs a servicing kit from Eber.

We bought a spare burner 'pot' for our D5 some years ago, which we swapped every 6 months. It then took about 5 months to clean out the first one.

However, it worked well between those 6-monthly replacements.

Thanks for the replies.

Have just done some searching on here and found that they're not rated well for reliability along with webasto's on boats, some say they don't like red diesel which would make sense given they're designed for trucks/campervans etc if I'm not mistaken.

If I were to convert to something else for hot water and heating, what would be the best way to go?

Mine is first class runs perfect h the first one fitted to the boat 15 years ago replaced 2 years ago with a new one . Run them hard 2 hours minimum they do need good voltage that's why I said engine running to see if it is voltage . Could be Carboned up . Good instructions on you tube for stripping them down and cleaning quite simple really .

Thanks for the replies.

Have just done some searching on here and found that they're not rated well for reliability along with webasto's on boats, some say they don't like red diesel which would make sense given they're designed for trucks/campervans etc if I'm not mistaken.

If I were to convert to something else for hot water and heating, what would be the best way to go?

This was possibly true when 'red diesel' (gas oil) was available but 'red diesel' is now the same as 'white' with dye added.

If it is doing the shut down even when on shoreline.

Check all electrical connections for cleanliness and tightness.

It needs cleaning and servicing.

Check out YouTube as mentioned above.

Surely it would be far cheaper just to service it?

Tony

Absolutely. The hire fleet here are all eber and very rarely fail and they are the only form of heating on the hire fleet several boats are out now and the heating is needed. The problem is most private/hobby boaters think most items are fit and forget and last forever. The units on the hire fleet here are removed every year for decoke etc if needed and refitted a boat environment is about as bad as it gets for most stuff and it has to be looked after and of course the only way to heat a narrowboat full time is a solid fuel stove.

Tim

Ebersplutters can be a real pain. If you have plenty of cash I'd replace it with something like a Hurricane. However, if you want to struggle on with the Eber there are a few things to check. Obviously voltage, but if you're on shore power that shouldn't be a problem. Next is fuel supply, but if there is fuel getting through it's unlikely. Next is probably to service it. Check out Utube, get the spares from an Eber dealer. I found that using Oven Pride was great for cleaning out the burner tube, just don't put it anywhere near the aluminium bits of the machine. Don't forget the little mesh which goes over the glow pin. This makes lighting it easier.

We dumped our Eber after multiple failures, at the wrong times despite regular servicing and several very expensive breakdowns, but others swear by them so you takes you choice.

Bob

PS nearly forgot, if it's shutting down after a few minuets it could be overheating, check the water flow through it, if the pipes are getting hot throughout, then it's probably OK but if the heat isn't moving far from the unit it just could be an air lock or pump problem.

edit for PS

Edited by Hawkmoth

• 2 weeks later...