leaking top hatch

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

i think its called a top hatch?

ive noticed a dark damp patch under my tophatch , the drain hole on the runner is clear so any other ideas what could cause this ?

cheers

http://s446.photobucket.com/user/ocs400/media/IMG_0086_zpsewxrrnsu.jpg.html

http://s446.photobucket.com/user/ocs400/media/IMG_0088_zpslms8alzo.jpg.html

I call it a sliding hatch.

Sometimes rain water can land on the exposed part of the hatch runners outside and then run along the runners and into the boat.

Ideally the runners should be angled down/out rather than being flat. But looking at the picture the hatch is on an angle anyway so the water should drain off the right-hand runner.

Attaching something to the front of the hatch on the runner like a piece of plastic that slides on the runner may not work because capillary action could still draw the water in.

Edit: Is the hatch lid itself insulated? If not the damp patch could just be the result of condensation dripping off the inside of the hatch and into the boat.

Edited by blackrose

In round figures, the slide (oddly, at the front of our boat) doesn't leak, no.

- We got water in one winter, and only one, in 25 years. To this day I dont know if it came under the doors or through the slide.

Hard to say how or why yours leaks even from the photos but given most of its 'inside' if leaks like that it must be running in and or from the 'front' edge.

Daniel

I find that rainwater runs between the steel of the cabin top and the material that is fixed to it, that in your picture is green. that eases the slide. I cured mine with the application of a little silicon to the gap.

i was thinking that too, the last four inches at the end of the green strip that would sit over the damp patch when the hatch is closed has no silicone ,

it looks like the silicone has been applied when the hatch was pushed open rather than removed, but i thought i,d better check before the wallet was opened again

• 2 weeks later...

I'd suggest having a look at the front edge of the hatch when it is closed. Is there a lip 'hanging down' on the front edge of the hatch to stop it going past the closed position? Is there a lip welded/fixed to the roof for any lip on the front edge of the hatch to butt up against? Our hatched looks broadly similar and I decided that the water that we got was coming from rain either 'bouncing' or being blown under the hatch lip and over the roof lip (if you can visualize that). My remedy - admittedly a bit crude - is a strip of gaffer tape with the top edge stuck to the inside of the hatch lip and hanging down sticky side facing forwards. Then place a strip of something semi-rigid against the tape and front face of the hatch lip. Finish off with a further piece of gaffer tape but stuck onto the hatch lip and the wiper to hold it in place. What this does is effectively extend the lip on the leading edge of the hatch slider and reduce any gap through which water could blow or bounce. It's also flexible enough to not interfere with the operation of the hatch. Sorry for the slightly complex explanation but it seems to have worked for us. Consider whether your problem is water which is lying and running in or whether it is being forced in.

One option might be to stuff some newspaper where you reckon the water is coming from then run some water across the roof - does the paper get wet? That might localize the hole/source as well. The try the same on a wet and windy night - you shouldn't have to wait long to try that!!

Edited by Opener

Looking at picture the only part outside or not under the pram cover or whatever you call it are the runners that hatch slides open on. As with mine, totally exposed, the water was running under the brass strips the hatch slides on then into woodwork around hatch.

Have covered hatch for now. Come summer will take off hatch and runners. Coat of silicone on metal work and replace runners will keep water out.

Edited by valrene9600