Fairline 40 Flybridge Refit

matthewr

Featured Posts

It would appear I'm new the owner of this.......

gallery_25882_1380_17861.jpg
A Fairline 40 Flybridge clapping.gif
I've started this firstly to help me keep track of time (and cost!) as well as to share with anyone that might be considering doing anything like I am.
Summary of the plan so far:-
Change all seacocks as quite a few are looking a bit grim.
Clean bilges.
Install new fire systems.
Install modern distribution board for AC power and generator. DC to follow next year.
Engines and generator to service.
Repair to remote oil filter housing and change a broken engine mount.
Replace headlining around helm and in forward cabin with lining carpet.
New PC based nav system with 2x 22" monitors at the helm (Radar, AIS, chart plotter, cctv, etc).
Upgrade audio system to Fusion head unit, new speakers and fit TV's.
Few below water gelcoat chips to fix.
New antennas.
New carpets, upholstery, etc...
Obviously the list will get longer (a lot longer!!) but it should be good smile.png Timescale is basically to have it launched on 25th April ready for a 280 mile journey.

So it's been the second day working on the boat! First day was basically a fact finding mission. What does this do? What does that do......... Most things have now been found.

This morning consisted of tipping the remainder of old stuff left on board that wasn't needed. I've never seen so many soft furnishings on a yacht!!
I have removed the old original AC system which consisted of 6 crude thermal trip switches and have installed a modern MCB and RCD distribution panel with a changeover switch and monitor module. I have a few more breakers to fit when they arrive but the bulk is complete. Also the genny feed needs wiring in.
Normally I don't like using twin and earth (domestic) cable in installs but as it is quite a large vessel and very dry I thought it'd be silly to rip it all out.
The system is made to run on a 32A shore power supply but it could run at a reduced 16A if necessary.
From the top left: 2x DP switches (1 for shore power and 1 for genny), changeover switch between shore and genny, voltage and amperage monitor. Second row from bottom left: 30mA RCD, sockets (16A), immersion (16A), Victron battery charger (16A), low voltage lighting supply (6A), fridge (16A), fixed dehumidifier (6A).
All lighting will be low voltage DC but instead of using batteries when connected to shore power, there is a 12v DC transformer fitted to save cycling the batteries unnecessarily. A separate changeover switch means this can be switched from mains transformer or batteries depending on situation.
gallery_25882_1380_92270.jpg
Once power was restored, I turned the battery charger on as they hadn't been charged for over 2 years. Within 20 minutes there was a acrid smell of sulphur!! EMERGENCY!!!!!! Upon inspecting the batteries at least 1 resembled the shape of a football excl.pngexcl.pngexcl.png They have all now been relegated to the recycling centre so new batteries will be required.
No more work on the boat today and I'm now in a lovely hotel for the night so not all bad!
The other major development so far has been removing the saggy headliner in the helm. The remaining foam needs scrapping off and then we can fit the new lining carpet with high temperature contact adhesive.
gallery_25882_1380_12636.jpg
Edited by matthewr

Welcome to the forum. An interesting project.

I'd like a bumpy water boat but 'er indoors doesn't like the idea of not being able to touch the bottom. I counter by saying if she tried hard enough she could.

Good luck with getting everything done in time. Looks good.

Beautiful boat

The 40 flybridge is a big boat for its size.

I've had some lovely fair lines to the targa 38 then I went princess..

I'm envious, good luck on the refit, is the joinery okay, as that's the most difficult to get back up to scratch.

Well done to you

I would if I could, but running 2 guzzling engines at today's prices

Enjoy the fit ou

Good quality boat

Col

Good luck with that.

I am re-fitting a 36 footer so understand where you are coming from and would just make a couple of (hopefully) constructive suggestions :

1) I think that you will find that 2 x 22" plotters will be too large - I personally feel that 15" is sufficient. (1 at the helm and 1 at the chart table)

2) Ideally the T&E wiring should be replaced, the solid conductors do not take kindly to the pounding, vibration and flexing that a sea-boat gets. Take the opportunity, whilst everything is stripped out, to put in 'proper' marine flexible wiring. Its worth it and will save you issues in the future.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

To amplify what Alan said.

Inland we can get away with un-tinned multi-strand conductors but even then after may years of service you can find corrosion running for feet back from the terminal. On a seaboat it's even worse with the salty atmosphere. It is very important only to use tinned (silver coloured) multi-strand conductors.

Ah `another` proper boat :), Welcome along to the nut house. I am looking forward to this, i keep seeing these Flybridge type cruisers around and fancy adding a f;ybridge to mine, it looks similar to my power cruiser.........well a little bit it does lol ;)

Good luck and enjoy ;)

So work today has consisted of fitting a new LED bulkhead light outside over the rear seating area as well as some cool blue LED mood lighting to the rear. These will all be switched from inside the rear doors.

I managed to get the majority of sockets and light switches fitted today but spent quite a lot of time hunting for DC cable locations for the cabins.

gallery_25882_1380_35928.jpg

I have also installed the TV aerial with wall mounted sockets. There is a wall mounted socket in the saloon as well as 1 in each cabin.

The old gas alarm system is nearly all removed. I just need to find the other sensor hidden somewhere in the galley bilge!

Tomorrow's plan is along the lines of:

• Collect supplies to tidy up current loose ends (few extra sockets, light switch, etc).
  • Test Eberspacher heater.
  • Wire in permanent fixed dehumidifier mounted at the helm (was installed when purchased but not wired in).
  • Install a temporary battery to finish testing remainder of DC circuits.
  • Continue removing sagging headlining.
  • Inspect generator cabling.
  • Install 20A DP switch and 7 day TimeGuard on immersion element.
Edited by matthewr

I have a set of 4 of these on our Princess 32, very good value for money and lightning fast delivery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281627468304

J

I have always 'got on well' with Varta. I have 6 of these on our Cruiser ( 4 x 230Ah domestics and 2x 230Ah starters) and they run our domestics quite happily for 3 days+ (down to about 50% SOC)

A friend has scored 4x 110Ah leisure batteries from Euro Car Parts for £52 each so can't grumble at that! I want to make up a plywood box to contain them and then tidy wiring as currently there is a lot of wires all clamped to the terminals.

A friend has scored 4x 110Ah leisure batteries from Euro Car Parts for £52 each so can't grumble at that! I want to make up a plywood box to contain them and then tidy wiring as currently there is a lot of wires all clamped to the terminals.

Yes consider both positive and negative battery distribution busbars with several studs to attach cable lugs, maybe colour coded red and black and with covers.

25193.jpg

This wil allow just one main battery bank cable connection each for positive and negative, simplifying replacement.

Edited by by'eck

More wiring, squeezing into small spaces and swearing today!

gallery_25882_1380_144556.jpg

I have got the Fusion Marine radio installed today along with most of the indoor speaker cables. I am using in-ceiling speakers that will sit around in various places. I'll have 2 outside of the "patio doors" and 2 on the flybridge but these will get done if/when we get a summer.

The benefit of the Fusion unit is they can be zoned so music isn't playing outside on a cold winters day or at midnight when parked up in the marina!

Pretty much all the 12v stuff has been identified and labelled now so I know what breaker does what.

And more headlining has been removed ready for recovering hopefully next weekend!

Edited by matthewr

• 2 weeks later...

Headlining is all out now and wood has been scraped and sanded.

gallery_25882_1380_59018.jpg

Van lining carpet has been fitted to saloon ceiling, old veneered top side panels, helm ceiling and above galley.

The helm panels for mounting instruments in have been carpeted in a contrasting colour. New equipment will be fitted in due course!

Recessed LED ceiling lights have been fitted. Although I need to fit another 2 as there is a very slight dark spot.

New safety wires have been fitted outside around the deck.

Sadly I didn't get many photos as I've been so concentrated on the build (but they will follow)!!

Doing a good job, are you still on schedule ?

Getting there! Slightly behind schedule but nothing major. I'm hoping to get back down this coming weekend to get a few more bits done.

In other news....

I've started to cover panels. I'm trying to use all existing ones I possibly can. 1, to keep it original and 2, to keep it simple! I have got to change the instrument panel as there are lots of holes that are now not required. This will be made from a new sheet of 6mm ply.

gallery_25882_1380_93221.jpg
Edited by matthewr

• 2 weeks later...

A lot more has been done. More headlining parts removed for carpeting....

gallery_25882_1380_44555.jpg

Helm panels in and equipment starting to be mounted.....

gallery_25882_1380_151090.jpg

gallery_25882_1380_150783.jpg

And 1 of 2 boxes of brand new sea cocks have arrived!

gallery_25882_1380_89300.jpg

We're back on track after a few days catching up. Anti foul paint has arrived as well as some new dyneema rope for the davits.

Technology has started to arrive, some of which consists of an AIT2000 AIS transponder, DST800 transducer, ZG100 GPS/ electronic compass and an Antisense NGW-1-USB to communicate all the NMEA 2000 stuff with OpenCPN which uses the 0183 protocol. Just need to find a new laptop smile.png

Edited by matthewr

What swung you towards the Open CPN ?

It's handy to be sitting here now in the warm of my bed plotting as opposed to pissing around with the little fiddly thing in the helm. Easy to load and renew maps. Radar integration. Dashboard on 2nd monitor showing depth, speed, temp, wind, engine electronics, etc...

It'll run on a laptop or notebook with a solid state hard drive. I can then access it from above on an iPad.

Cheaper than fitting out with a new multifunction display.

Loads of benefits really :)

It's handy to be sitting here now in the warm of my bed plotting as opposed to pissing around with the little fiddly thing in the helm. Easy to load and renew maps. Radar integration. Dashboard on 2nd monitor showing depth, speed, temp, wind, engine electronics, etc...

It'll run on a laptop or notebook with a solid state hard drive. I can then access it from above on an iPad.

Cheaper than fitting out with a new multifunction display.

Loads of benefits really smile.png

Yes - I have it on a dedicated 10" tablet - but - I still think you cannot beat a 10" / 12" MFD at the chart table with maybe a 7" at the helm.

As AIS becomes more widespread I guess it will become a more useful safety instrument, currently with many boats only having receivers instead of transceivers it makes it a bit 'hit & miss'.

Keep up the good work - nearly Easter !!

• 2 weeks later...

More progress made. Full below water line pressure wash. Sand and prime scabby bits. Also a few little chips were filled and sanded.

gallery_25882_1380_20950.jpg

2 coats of anti foul have been applied to everywhere apart from very rear as ran out! 5 litres ALMOST does 2 full coats! I've ordered another tin and will give it a third coat.... because I can! :)

Also got the Sea-Fire system fitted.

gallery_25882_1380_98645.jpg

I have installed 2 new VHF antennas on the roof along with new mounts. The Digital Yacht GPS antenna on the flybridge rail and AIT2000 AIS transponder in the helm. A new Airmar DST800 transducer has been put in below. Just waiting for a bracket to install the B&G heading compass with inbuilt GPS.

Lots done but lots more to do!!

More pics will follow when I get them from my phone :) :) :)