travel to Ireland via UK

dc51

Featured Posts

Not disputing your source but I was informed by C&RT BW Scotland that at 3 metres air-draft I wouldn't get thru.

I'd be interested in confirmation that I could.

I was looking at Hull to Inverness (Caledonian canal) then down the Irish sea to get back to Holyhead for a few weeks, if I could do the F&C it would save some time.

Length 36 fet

Beam 14 feet

Draft 4 feet

Ait draft 9' 10" (3 metres) with fairly full tanks and everything folded down.

Crinan as well?

Not disputing your source but I was informed by C&RT BW Scotland that at 3 metres air-draft I wouldn't get thru.

I'd be interested in confirmation that I could.

It might be worth checking with Scottish Canals which bridges don't give the same air draft as the skipper guide says. I know there is one between Maryhill locks and Bowling somewhere (sorry, can't remember exactly which bridge it is) that is lower than expected and the Forth and Clyde Canal Society trip boat, Voyager, got stuck going through it the first time they ventured down to Bowling (they got through though after the pound was dropped a bit) . There is also one on the stretch between the sea lock at the Kelpies and the Wheel which has been known to be too low for some boats till the level of the pound is reduced. Yachts are demasted at the entry lock on the Forth and Cyde so presumably they don't have a problem. It might be worth asking the Forth and Clyde Canal Society which bridges cause Voyager a problem and what her airdraft is. When they had her built, I gather that they used the publicised measurements for the canal and they were therefore a bit upset when they got stuck.

haggis

It might be worth checking with Scottish Canals which bridges don't give the same air draft as the skipper guide says. I know there is one between Maryhill locks and Bowling somewhere (sorry, can't remember exactly which bridge it is) that is lower than expected and the Forth and Clyde Canal Society trip boat, Voyager, got stuck going through it the first time they ventured down to Bowling (they got through though after the pound was dropped a bit) . There is also one on the stretch between the sea lock at the Kelpies and the Wheel which has been known to be too low for some boats till the level of the pound is reduced. Yachts are demasted at the entry lock on the Forth and Cyde so presumably they don't have a problem. It might be worth asking the Forth and Clyde Canal Society which bridges cause Voyager a problem and what her airdraft is. When they had her built, I gather that they used the publicised measurements for the canal and they were therefore a bit upset when they got stuck.

haggis

Thanks - I phoned "Scottish canals" today and was told the person who may know was not in but the figures in the skippers guide should be accurate. I'll need to do more work.

The Forth and Clyde Canal Society has a web page at http://www.forthandclyde.org.uk/ but they don't give the air draft of their boats. Voyager doesn't have a removable wheel house so if you check with them what her air draft is, it should be a useful guide for you.

haggis

PS the Crinan is no problem as boats go through there with their masts up!

Edited by haggis

The Forth and Clyde Canal Society has a web page at http://www.forthandclyde.org.uk/ but they don't give the air draft of their boats. Voyager doesn't have a removable wheel house so if you check with them what her air draft is, it should be a useful guide for you.

(snip)

Emails have been fired off to the Forth & Clyde manager and Forth and Clyde Canal Society.

I'll report backcheers.gif

haggis

PS the Crinan is no problem as boats go through there with their masts up!

I knew that ....it's on my bucket list together with the Caledonian......I was just being envious sad.png

Reply received from Robert at the Forth & Clyde Canal Society.

He usually advises 2.7 metres air draught as a comfortable maximum.

One of their boats, Maryhill, is 2.9 metres air draught,and needs ballasting at the M80 bridge east of Wyndford. They have had difficulties at the railway and road bridges between Locks 8 and 9, and Maryhill has to be watched carefully at the footbridge at Lock 17, and the bridge at Bearsden, which has a slope on it.

The air draught at the locks 8/9 bridges can be increased to over 3 metres by letting water down through Lock 8. I suppose the same tactic could be used for the M80 bridge, alhough it's a longer pound.

At 2.5 metres air draught,there wouldn't be a problem.

Forth & Clyde, I'm afraid, would be too far north for me. I'm still trying to find out the lowest air draft on the K&A canal. It may be possible to take on ballast to get through. Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

Dermot.

Reply received from Robert at the Forth & Clyde Canal Society.

He usually advises 2.7 metres air draught as a comfortable maximum.

One of their boats, Maryhill, is 2.9 metres air draught,and needs ballasting at the M80 bridge east of Wyndford. They have had difficulties at the railway and road bridges between Locks 8 and 9, and Maryhill has to be watched carefully at the footbridge at Lock 17, and the bridge at Bearsden, which has a slope on it.

The air draught at the locks 8/9 bridges can be increased to over 3 metres by letting water down through Lock 8. I suppose the same tactic could be used for the M80 bridge, alhough it's a longer pound.

At 2.5 metres air draught,there wouldn't be a problem.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

That puts me out - I am a 'full-up' 3 metres air draft with 1000 litres of fuel. 500 litres of water and full pump out tank, I could add another 1800 litres of fuel but don't think it will bring me down by 12".(0.3mts)

Its the Caledonian (again) then, adds another week or so to a most enjoyable trip.

According to this link , the lowest headroom on the K&A is 2.4m, for the Leeds and Liverpool its 2.38m at Foulridge Tunnel (but only 2.03m on the Liverpool Link). Rochdale Canal is 1.93m (M62 bridge).

So K&A does look to be the highest route if you can't reduce the headroom requirement.

Thanks very much for that. That gives me something to work with. If I can't get under, perhaps I can get over with a crane! Worst case I'll have to turn back.

According to this link , the lowest headroom on the K&A is 2.4m, for the Leeds and Liverpool its 2.38m at Foulridge Tunnel (but only 2.03m on the Liverpool Link). Rochdale Canal is 1.93m (M62 bridge).

So K&A does look to be the highest route if you can't reduce the headroom requirement.

I would be a bit carefull with that you need to consider the width of your cabin top in relation to the bridge arch.

Hi.

Thanks for that, are you familiar with this stretch of canal?

Dermot.

Not been down that way for about 10 years and that was with a narrowboat so the bridge arch is not an issue. It was more a general comment that with arched bridges the available height goes down with the extra width of the wheelhouse. Having said that I did scrape my cabin roof on a bridge in Reading!

If you have 12' beam you will have a 9'ish wide wheelhouse and that is going to really reduce your available height available in a bridge arch.

I have never seen any figures on any canal which give an air draft in relation to width.

If you put in to google "kennet and avon canal bridges" you will get loads of photos which will give you a better idea.

Yeah, I've been doing that, but it's hard to tell from the pics. They look like there's lots of room. I'll probably have to do a reccy. What about changing water levels? Dry/wet summer?

I thought you wanted an adventure?

If you put your route into here: http://canalplan.eu/it is possible to follow a virtual tour showing you places along the route. From memory, this includes bridges

Richard

And, if you put in your 'dimensions' and the route you want to take it will tell you if it is possible or not. (Like all computer systems it is only as good as the information provided to it)

• 4 months later...

To enter the Irish waterways system from Waterford, go go north up the Barrow. Lowest bridge on the river Barrow is Carlow Bridge. At normal summer water levels the maximum air draft is 2.58m over 2.4m. In summer the levels can be as low as 0.75m