BSS - minimum number of extinguishers

Murflynn

Featured Posts

BSS Guide 6.1.1 R states:

The minimum number of extinguishers may be reduced by a maximum of one 5A/34B rated extinguisher where the vessel has either no internal combustion engines, or no fuel-burning appliances.

That particular clause tells me that, if I have a boat less than 7m long, with an internal combustion engine but with no fuel burning appliance, I only need one extinguisher, rated at 10B/68C. Is that the way that BSS inspectors are instructed to interpret that clause?
Edited by Murflynn

I read it and it is clear in that it is what is written so it should be.

If my boat fell into that category I would either have 2 as they are not that expensive and will last years or I would have a letter from the BSS office to show the inspector should he/she be unsure of what is acceptable.

But thinking about it, I would have two as it also means that should I ever need to use one - maybe a fire on another boat - I would are not left with none.

That's not the way I read it. It says you can REDUCE the number you need by one IF you don't have an ic engine or a fire.

You have an ic engine, so this does not apply.

On second thoughts the either or clause is a bit tricky!

Edited by keble

That's not the way I read it. It says you can REDUCE the number you need by one IF you don't have an ic engine or a fire.

You have an ic engine, so this does not apply.

On second thoughts the either or clause is a bit tricky!

Yes, the 'either' should read 'both' if it meant that you can't have either. (Wow! That's not confusing, is it?)

Either way (there's that word again), why risk your life just to save a few quid?

Tony

I have a new project boat which does not have a fuel burning appliance, however I plan to satisfy the 10A/68B requirement by having two 5A/34B extinguishers.

My question was more about the use of English and the correct interpretation of the words.

I have a qualification the the Use of English, and have written technical specifications for most of my career, and I am in no doubt about the meaning of the words, but the responses above confirm my belief that many people (possibly including BSS inspectors) understand it differently.

The words either ... or ... are unambiguous. You only need to satisfy one of the 2 possible conditions to be able to reduce the number by one.

I suppose if we broaden our horizons and consider a small dinghy with just an outboard motor, then the reduced requirement is understandable.

Edited by Murflynn

Yes it could read. "... has neither x nor y..." Or it could read "both has no x and no y" or it could read much more simply "does not have x or y". As it's written it sucks because I don't believe it means what it says.

Yes it could read. "... has neither x nor y..." Or it could read "both has no x and no y" or it could read much more simply "does not have x or y". As it's written it sucks because I don't believe it means what it says.

a boat with neither doesn't need a BSS certificate, AFAIK.