12 volt phone charging

hilaryb

Featured Posts

If its a USB charger then 99.99% of 12V versions would have a cigarette lighter style plug on one end. You could use an adapter or fit an appropriate socket to the boat. Or fit USB power sockets to the boat, eg:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-to-5V-Motorcycle-Mobile-Phone-USB-Charger-Power-Adapter-Socket-Waterproof-Uk-/121415340153?hash=item1c44eb1079

I suspect a charger lead which ends in a 12V plug with 2 prongs is a "special" lead custom made up for the particular application.

Does anyone have. 12 volt charger for Samsung mobile which has two pins to go into a 12 volt wall socket? Where do I get one from?

I am assuming you have 12v two pin sockets? If so why not buy a two pin to USB adapter and plug a USB charger cable into that?

I found one on eBay on this page;-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fast-Charge-12V-USB-Socket-for-T5-Transporter-Caravan-Motor-Home-/252246518962

Failing that there is also a 12v plug to female cigarette lighter cable that could be used to plug a car charger into on the same page.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Pennine,

Genuine question for the benefit of the OP and me. Aren't we saying the same thing at least in terms of the principle?

I only have 12v in my boat and have a wall mounted cigarette lighter into which I plug a USB adapter and cable. Is there anything the OP could buy that doesn't convert to 5v?

JP

Pennine,

Genuine question for the benefit of the OP and me. Aren't we saying the same thing at least in terms of the principle?

I only have 12v in my boat and have a wall mounted cigarette lighter into which I plug a USB adapter and cable. Is there anything the OP could buy that doesn't convert to 5v?

JP

If the phone needs 5v then apart from making something up the answer is no because you need 5V at that particular phone. You can buy 12V car plug type in computer power supplies that offer a selection of voltage outs but I doubt they go much below 10 volts or more.

As has been said he could also buy a small inverter with a car plug on it that allows the mains charger to be used but I have heard/read reports that in some cases the modified sine wave ones make the charger run hot.

All our phones use pre-USB chargers and we use suitable cigarette socket type 12V charging leads.