Tree fallen onto boat at Bradford on Avon

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Hardly huge

No, it's more, the article goes on to say the tree is VAST (their capitals!).

Maybe the Wiltshire Times photographer has failed to capture its true majesty. Certainly the article only has three almost identical shots, suggesting the photographer is even worse than me.

I agree. The question is a valid one Munk

That was my first thought. Even I know you need to know where to cut fallen trees or they dont do what you expect them too. Likewise if RCR had have been tasked with rescuing the boat in Oxford it would probably never had sunk. Its outside their field of expertise.

The Fire Service based at Bradford on Avon is a retained unit and is well rehearsed in rescuing boats on the canal.They will have certainly got there a lot more quickly than C&RT, or any tree surgon. I suspect when the call went out they did not know if anyone was on board or whether the boat risked sinking.They have the equipment to pump out and raise a sinking boat, which would be outside the abilities of a tree urgeon.

The Fire Service based at Bradford on Avon is a retained unit and is well rehearsed in rescuing boats on the canal.They will have certainly got there a lot more quickly than C&RT, or any tree surgon. I suspect when the call went out they did not know if anyone was on board or whether the boat risked sinking.They have the equipment to pump out and raise a sinking boat, which would be outside the abilities of a tree urgeon.

Plus the longer they're in attendance the more they earn,!

No, it's more, the article goes on to say the tree is VAST (their capitals!).

Maybe the Wiltshire Times photographer has failed to capture its true majesty. Certainly the article only has three almost identical shots, suggesting the photographer is even worse than me.

They have not got a photographer, that is the problem.

:(

Plus the longer they're in attendance the more they earn,!

Why the cynicism? They are hardly payed a fortune. Just under £3000 bi annual retainer, plus just over £13 an hour attendance fee, and that is for a fully qualified Firefighter, Trainees and those partially trained get much less. I wonder how many paople would do a dangerous job saving other people's property (and lives) for that sort of pay.

• Greenie 1

It looks like the boat is wiggling with excitement saying "Well get it open then!"

He he. Just like the Dads Army opening credits.

The private mooring arm is just above a lock hence the movement is due to locks being operated.