Glascote locks stoppage

dogless

Featured Posts

I just wondered if anyone is moored by the locks and could indicate if the stoppage (listed to be open 4pm on Sunday) is likely to be lifted earlier this week.

I'm sat at Atherstone waiting to head north.

Mind you it is the 'Ball Game' tomorrow, so at least I'll have chance to witness an event over 800 years old.

Rog

Why? Do you think she plays too rough?

Richard

Only with me !

You've met her I guess

Rog

They are usually clear of locks by Friday afternoon in my experience.... any delay and the work will be carried over to Monday.

I would agree, and I have my fingers crossed for this week.

I have it in my mind that a forum member moors just below the locks. I was hoping for a heads up.

Rog

Enjoy the ball game, where scores are settled from the last 12 months!

I hadn't realised that these ancient ball games were played down in England. There are several played round here too, but I tend to avoid them in case anyone tries to reintroduce the former practice of the ball being an Englishman's head.

I'm coming the other way!

Glascote is opening on the Sunday 14th (do they work weekends?) The next lock 8 miles away, Atherstone bottom closes Monday (15th)..

I will be at Fazeley on Wednesday (10th) hot footing it to the office to see how work is progressing. I guess the same guys, equipment and barges will be fixing Glascote top and Atherstone bottom.

I need to get through both!

Edited by Sue

Drove down the high street in Atherstone last night, shops were boarding up windows ready for the ball game!

If anyone is not aware of this tradition, its held every shrove tuesday, a ball gets lobbed out an upstairs window at 3pm, the only rule is that the ball can not leave the town center, who ever holds it at 5pm is the winner, anything goes!!

Glascote is opening on the Sunday 14th (do they work weekends?) The next lock 8 miles away, Atherstone bottom closes Monday (15th)..

I will be at Fazeley on Wednesday (10th) hot footing it to the office to see how work is progressing. I guess the same guys, equipment and barges will be fixing Glascote top and Atherstone bottom.

I anticipate that you'll have the weekend to pass through. I can't imagine Glascote won't be open by Friday tea time.

Unless of course you're giving the widebeam 'a test run'. :)

Let us know what they say on Wednesday please.

Rog

I think I would get to the lock and wait, the office will just say Sunday. We once wanted to get up Farmers Bridge. Friday lunchtime. We walked up and the top lock was full of scaffolding and no water, Rang BW to be told it would be all open at 5pm. It opened a week later.

I think I would get to the lock and wait, the office will just say Sunday. We once wanted to get up Farmers Bridge. Friday lunchtime. We walked up and the top lock was full of scaffolding and no water, Rang BW to be told it would be all open at 5pm. It opened a week later.

Yes you are partly right Brian. I did go to the office and the young lady rang through. They wont know until the end of the week whether it will be opening or not!

I have heard from moorers in the Marina close by that there has been some vandalism to the tune of £4K and now there is security people on site.

I have also heard that drunks and druggies are using that area around the locks so I am going to wait at Fazeley until I know.

The Marina moorers are going to have a word with the crew tomorrow to see what they say and also enquire whether it will be the same crew doing Atherstone Bottom Lock.

I'll report back when I know more.

We've got the CRT chaps in Glascote Basin at the moment as they are using our site to keep their welfare unit and for parking. Yesterday the site foreman came to tell me that the top lock will be open on Friday, but there is a new stoppage now on the bottom lock that will start on 22nd Feb and run for two weeks.

Sarah

Thanks everyone. Should be on our way north soon.

I received the new stoppage notice from C&RT yesterday, although the coal boat Auriga warned me there was now only a one week 'window' to get through until fully opened in March.

As an aside, since the new houses have been built by Glascote basin, the area seems much improved. I hope that remains the case.

But thanks Sue for passing on your 'towpath chatter'. It's always good to be aware of what's being said.

Rog

Got the email below from CRT this morning. Looks like they will be closed from 22nd Feb to 4th March as well.

Notice Alert

Coventry Canal

Starts At: Lock 13, Glascote Bottom Lock

Ends At: Lock 13, Glascote Bottom Lock

Up Stream Winding Hole: Above Glascote top lock 12

Down Stream Winding Hole: Fazeley Junction

Monday 22 February 2016 06:00 until Friday 4 March 2016 18:00

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Repair

Original message:

Due to the severe leakage of water through the lock, work is needed to repair the bottom gates, this is to ensure that water is not lost from the pound above.

Navigation will be closed.

You can view this notice and its map online here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/6537/glascote-bottom-lock-13-glascote-tamworth

You can find all notices at the url below:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Edited to add the fact that I have lived in this area for two years now, moor my boat at the end of my garden and regularly walk the towpath and surrounding areas and have never seen any signs of drunkenness or drug taking.

Definitely an unfounded towpath rumour.

Edited by cuthound

Yes they will be finished tomorrow (Friday). Five boats waiting to go up so we won't be in a hurry to move.

Thanks for that. Took your advice and remained at Polesworth. You will deninitely be above the Atherstone stoppage before Monday.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Do fat boats have these problems :)

Rog