Is scheduling a narrow boat cruise in July/August a bad idea?

tipton1947

Featured Posts

I'm not sure anyone else has quite spelled out that the long school holiday over here starts around the last week of July and lasts till the first week of September. So you could avoid the busiest weeks (and probably save yourselves quite a lot of money) by sticking to the earlier part of July.

The Llangollen canal is supposed to be stunning (we haven't cruised it ourselves), but the down side is that you'd be doing an 'out and back' trip where you cruise the same stretch twice in different directions. You might like to consider a cruising ring instead - or in addition, for that matter, depending on how long a holiday you were thinking of. In a busy two weeks or a more leisurely three weeks, you could do the Llangollen plus either the Cheshire Ring or the Four Counties Ring. (Obviously there are many other popular cruising rings elsewhere in the country if you decide you're not too bothered about the Llangollen).

...just to add that there are some stunning, and less busy, stretches of canal a bit further north. Somebody mentioned on a recent thread that a company called Bear Boating (www.bearboating.co.uk) offer one-way cruising between Apperley Bridge and Barnoldswick, which is a stretch that takes in some absolutely gorgeous Yorkshire and Lancashire countryside. It would also make for a very leisurely week's cruise, giving you time to explore places like Saltaire and Skipton along the way. (We live, and used to moor our boat, in the area, and after several hundred miles' cruising further afield I've seen very little to compete with the rural stretches either side of Skipton.)

Please folks -

The OP wasn't looking for recommendations (although suggestions may be welcome) - he just wanted dates to avoid.

Hopefully he may come back and ask for suggestions?

In fairness, it was the number of holidaying boats on the canals that the OP was concerned about, so it's not veering wildly off topic to point out that some canals are considerably less busy than others. And it was the OP who mentioned Llangollen.

In fairness, it was the number of holidaying boats on the canals that the OP was concerned about, so it's not veering wildly off topic to point out that some canals are considerably less busy than others. And it was the OP who mentioned Llangollen.

Oh, yes indeed; my bad. Velly solly...

I singlehanded the Llangollen and Montgomery last year, and am slightly older than the OP. For some reason, I had never done it before in 30 years of boating, and I was really impressed. But it was earlier in the year. I managed to visit the majority of the pubs along the route, so if the OP is a pub-goer he may like to take a look at my 2015 Pub Cruise.

But a serious warning. You will be hooked, and it's a long way to come from Arkansas every year!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Just a thought..... I tend to do 1.5 week hires (10 or 11 days) that many companies offer.

It's another good way to make your journey 'out of phase' with the bulk of other hire-boaters.

I would think that the journey from Arkansas to the Llangollen and back would be quite an adventure in itself!

Thanks for all of the input. My current scheme is a 10 day hire from Middlewich to Llangollen and back. Based on other numbers I have seen on the Internet, this works our to about 6 hours a day (does that seem right?).

Thanks.

Regarding adventure.

In our family we tend to agree with the statement of a famous Arctic explorer: "adventure is a sign of incompetence!"

We have done a lot of international travel both in our professional lives and in retirement. We try to minimize the "adventure" of getting from Arkansas to the "target" country. However once we are there we consider the "adventure" of riding public transportation to get around as a positive part of the "adventure" of visiting a foreign country. Any unplanned adventure that you survive makes for a good story later on.

Thanks for all of the input. My current scheme is a 10 day hire from Middlewich to Llangollen and back. Based on other numbers I have seen on the Internet, this works our to about 6 hours a day (does that seem right?).

Thanks.

According to the journey planner at canalplan.org.uk that's roughly 57 hours' cruising, so yes, that does seem right.

If you find you're making good time (and it can be hard to resist doing just a couple more hours' cruising on a nice summer evening!) you could think about taking a detour to the walled city of Chester on the way back - only a day's cruise from Barbridge Junction (i.e. the turn-off from the Shropshire Union main line to the Middlewich Branch).

Hireboat changeover day at Middlewich is supposed to be something of an 'adventure'

boat.gif

Yeah but loads of people do it, with no adverse effects on the holiday, and still enjoy the holiday? Just allow a bit more time (as the OP has done - his schedule is very sensible) and take it easy rather than rushing. Middlewich Narrowboats are above the 3 locks in Middlewich, so for Llangollen that bottleneck is avoided, unlike Andersen Boats whose boats start from below the locks.

According to the journey planner at canalplan.org.uk that's roughly 57 hours' cruising, so yes, that does seem right.

If you find you're making good time (and it can be hard to resist doing just a couple more hours' cruising on a nice summer evening!) you could think about taking a detour to the walled city of Chester on the way back - only a day's cruise from Barbridge Junction (i.e. the turn-off from the Shropshire Union main line to the Middlewich Branch).

Or even down the Mont.

Have a fantastic time.

Google earth can be handy in regard to familiarising yourselves with the route. I am sure that the hire company will assist you up your first locks just above the base, then comes the narrow passage past Middlewich Narrow boats. Under the bridge and then a rather awkward and severe right turn onto the Wardle canal and the lock rising to the Middlewich arm.

This lock can be quite fierce, so slowly does it. After that,you will have miles to get familiar with the boat and just the odd lock.

Enjoy.

I have confirmed a a Narrowboat hire from Friday July 22 to Monday Aug. 1, with Andersen Boats. We are exited!

Andersen seem to have a nice fleet of boats, it seemed when we were on the Llangollen that virtually everybody on an Andersen boat was Norwegian, I was told that Mr Andersen is Norwegian and advertises heavily in Norway. Have a good trip!

Andersen were / are one of the 'independent' = small hire fleets that go back to the seventies. The original owner didn't suffer fools gladly ('fools', NOT the inexperienced), but the company has mellowed over the years.

Long may they succeed!!

Anderson boats look smart, both inside and out (have seen them touching up the paint between hires).

Difficult flight of locks as soon as you set off, including a tight corner in the middle, sometimes see a bit of boat rage! Usually have good volunteer lock keepers to help of late, just take it slow.

Turn into Middlewhich branch (Wardle canal) a bit tricky, send crew ahead to check and do not turn till its clear, if a boat is coming down the lock you will have to reverse out of the way so don't turn till you have the lock.

After this traumatic start find a mooring as soon as you can and walk back to the pub, its had its ups and downs over the last few years but its very much on the up lately, very good beer.

Detour to Chester highly recommended, and a walk to Beeston castle on the way also recommended.

................Dave

Anderson boats' staff will help you through the three locks and train you & crew on how to operate locks. In a way, they're lucky they have locks so close by to do this, other hire firms don't. There is no need for stress etc just take it easy and don't be in a rush, expect a bit of delay since about 3/4 the Andersen boats will be going that way too.

We did the trip in ten days from Middlewich last August including a very relaxed day at Wrenbury, where we walked over the the excellent Bhurtpore Arms for an afternoon drink followed by food and beer in the evening in the very welcoming Cotton Arms. We also had time for a trip on the steam train and a night in the Corn Mill in Llangollen. The Kings Lock at Middlewich will make a good last night if it is still as good as was last year.

On the first night just moor up out in the country near Church Minshull, there are some moorings with great views over the upper Weaver.

One thing to remember is to do a good shop at Middlewich as your next town with a supermarket in it is Ellesmere.

We found the Llangollen a lovely canal and all told a very relaxing trip