No 70ft Moorings!

nipper

Featured Posts

Hi all!

Over the last few months I've been looking at C&RT's new moorings page, Waterside Moorings.

Can someone tell me if they have ever seen a 70ft mooring advertised on there for sale or even for Auction?

There are moorings , but only very few for 69ft 10 inch boats at times, but never for the full 70ft.

What would happen if someone bought a mooring for a 69 ft 10 boat and put a 70footer on it?

Would the culprit be hung at dawn, thrown off the canals, or just praised for using there initiative?

Also where are the Auctions for moorings?

Nipper

Your bid will be rejected as your boat won't fit, IIRC.

Not sure why I think this. I think I tried it!

But I've noticed this too. Idly looking for a new southern mooring for my boat, and there just aren't any.

I'd like to know who in C&rt knows where a 69ft 10 boat is!

Is this the same reason why moorings with rings are never spaced to fit any boat?

I've been looking too; and i can't say i've noticed a full 70' mooring in the last 6 months...

Maybe there just don't want 70ft boats on their moorings, although i cannot see the reason why not!

Nipper

Edited by nipper

Yes, i was thinking along those line too!.

What I may do tomorrow, as i am against a concrete walled Mooring for a change. I will measure the exact length of Largo without fenders and with them!

That way at least i know, if it would be possible to encourage her to fit within the measurements required.blush.png

I have no intention of getting a mooring yet. I have been full time cruising for three years, and want a few more years to cruise around, just to see if i like it!

Nipper

Edited by nipper

Maybe the previous boat moored there was 69'10" and that's what CRT have entered on their database. It's worth measuring the mooring or even better see if your bost fits. If it does, I'm sure they'll be fine about it.

Edited by Markinaboat

Your bid will be rejected as your boat won't fit, IIRC.

Not sure why I think this. I think I tried it!

But I've noticed this too. Idly looking for a new southern mooring for my boat, and there just aren't any.

How far south mike, they had a mooring at brick lock island on the stort the other week.

Neil

The problem is that there are too many piddley little boats about so peeps with proper boats find it harder and harder to get a mooring. All moorings should be charged at 72 foot length then we could buy any mooring and any boat would be able to fit on it.

Tim

The problem is that there are too many piddley little boats about so peeps with proper boats find it harder and harder to get a mooring. All moorings should be charged at 72 foot length then we could buy any mooring and any boat would be able to fit on it.

Tim

Quite the opposite I think - the average length of canal boats nowadays is far greater than it was in, say, the 1980s. How many Springers longer than 45 feet do you see? The fashion back then was to cram 5 berths into 40 feet, now 2 berths in 58 feet is more common.

Tim

I'm in total agreement Tim, then maybe all the empty mooring will at least be used!

Anyway, I digress.

I did measure Largo's length today before I had to cruise for my daily few hours.

Surprise! Surprise! She is not 70ft, indeed she is 69' 7" to be exact, thats without the fenders but including the rear fender plate.

So Largo can occupy one of C&RT's 69' 10" mooring albeit with a fender lifted.

It's always nice to think one belongs somewhere!tongue.png

Nipper

I'm in total agreement Tim, then maybe all the empty mooring will at least be used!

Anyway, I digress.

I did measure Largo's length today before I had to cruise for my daily few hours.

Surprise! Surprise! She is not 70ft, indeed she is 69' 7" to be exact, thats without the fenders but including the rear fender plate.

So Largo can occupy one of C&RT's 69' 10" mooring albeit with a fender lifted.

It's always nice to think one belongs somewhere!tongue.png

Nipper

Measured with rudder straight, or kicked over full deflection?!

When licensing your boat CRT require it to include the length of any fenders, and it is the same when buying a mooring from them.

I measured my boat with and without fenders and as both licences and moorings are sold in "bands" it made no difference to the cost.

However I wouldn't like to be sharing a linear mooring with a boat without fenders, it could do a fair amount of damage to the next boat if it was moored loosely and kept banging into it.

Measured with rudder straight, or kicked over full deflection?!

Rudder full over, as is the proper way to do it!

Tiller arm to the bank, so the boat will be guided towards it!

icecream.gif

Nipper

I was wondering about the measurements too - does a 57' mooring mean the space is 57' or for a boat 57' foot WITHOUT it's fenders? ... I hope it's the latter because I just bought one for the boat on order....sick.gif

I was talking to a boat builder a couple of years ago and if you order a 56ft boat (from him) it will be 56ft when 'normal' fenders are added. This is to match fitting it into a lock or mooring space etc.

Tim

Not a clever idea -- there wouldn't be nearly as many linear moorings if they did that.