Great 30 rolling contract data only sim deal.

johnmck

Featured Posts

We've blagged this 4G 25GB/mth plan from EE* for new and existing customers for just £15 per month (usually £30/mth). Use the code MSEHALFPRICE until Tue 9 Feb to get the deal, though it should already be entered at the checkout if you go via the above link.

This Sim is currently the cheapest out there that gives such a massive data allowance. It's a one-month rolling contract and EE says you'll be able to continue the contract at this cost indefinitely.

EE offers a variety of plans with different amounts of data but none of them is as good value as this one. If you manage to use up the full 25GB, you'll have to buy a data add-on, starting at £1 for 100MB.

All the above taken from the Martins Money website.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-mobile-broadband

This offer closes on the 09/02/16. Not to be missed!

It could be my age, but the purchase of this Sim was by no means simple!

Followed the link from the MSE site, and looking good. Then flagged that further details required and I should ring them.

It appears an Eqifax check showed me to have a poor credit score. Never been refused credit before, but there again, have applied for none in several years. There may lie the problem, but no black marks against me when I checked!

So to get the sim, I had to leave a £100 ransom, repaid after three monthly payments completed.

Not a happy bunny!

It could be my age, but the purchase of this Sim was by no means simple!

Followed the link from the MSE site, and looking good. Then flagged that further details required and I should ring them.

It appears an Eqifax check showed me to have a poor credit score. Never been refused credit before, but there again, have applied for none in several years. There may lie the problem, but no black marks against me when I checked!

So to get the sim, I had to leave a £100 ransom, repaid after three monthly payments completed.

Not a happy bunny!

smiley_offtopic.gif

Indeed it is, the argument put forward is, that as you have not required credit for some time, they do not have any knowledge of your ability to (re)pay.

The topic heading meant absolutely nothing to me - I recognised each individual word but together they made no sense. So, to educate myself, I read the first post and guess what? I STILL hadn't a clue what it was all about!

It looks as if users of mobile phones (at least I got as far as working out that they were involved) have developed a jargon all of their own, impenetrable by casual onlookers.

The topic heading meant absolutely nothing to me - I recognised each individual word but together they made no sense. So, to educate myself, I read the first post and guess what? I STILL hadn't a clue what it was all about!

It looks as if users of mobile phones (at least I got as far as working out that they were involved) have developed a jargon all of their own, impenetrable by casual onlookers.

Its not that hard.

Basically a SIM only rolling contract is a way of buying internet access or mobile phone service without signing up to a 18 month or 2 year contract.

You only get a SIM card (this being the small card that goes in your phone or dongle - in this case dongle). No phone or any other device is included in the deal so they are cheaper as there is no device to pay for.

They suit people who already own a device they are happy with and don't want the vey latest handset or 'all singing all dancing' dongle, or they have bought one elsewhere at a better price.

The contract you have with them lasts for a month and automatically 'rolls' over into the next month until either party cancels it.

Edited by MJG

A little punctuation may help, with explanation

'Great 30' rolling contract, data only, sim deal

Great 30: name by which the offer goes by

Rolling contract: a contract for the supply of service for one month (usually) that is paid for by direct debit on a monthly basis, either party can cancel with one months notice. Check conditions

Data only: as it says can only be used for data cannot be used in a 'phone

Sim: no equipment (dongle/wi-fi etc.) supplied, only sim, small card, with chip on board, of various size to use in existing equipment

Edit: syntax

Edited by bottle

Errr yeees, thanks chaps. I'm pleased that you have made sense of it.

I shan't even ask why anyone would want this card for their phone if they couldn't use it to make phone calls.

...and I don't think I want to watch anyone making their dongle dance. That sort of thing should happen only in private.

Errr yeees, thanks chaps. I'm pleased that you have made sense of it.

I shan't even ask why anyone would want this card for their phone if they couldn't use it to make phone calls.

...and I don't think I want to watch anyone making their dongle dance. That sort of thing should happen only in private.

I guess you have internet in the house and no internet on a mobile phone.

Not to worry everyone has to learn everything sometime so just take it all in slowly and who knows some of the stuff out there might appeal to you.

Mobile Internet while out boating perhaps.

I guess you have internet in the house and no internet on a mobile phone.

Not to worry everyone has to learn everything sometime so just take it all in slowly and who knows some of the stuff out there might appeal to you.

Mobile Internet while out boating perhaps.

That's correct, I have internet in the house but no mobile phone. Mrs. Athy does have one of those tablets (she says it's either a Google or a Nexus?) which she sometimes takes to the boat. No, it doesn't appeal to me, for the same reason that we have never had a telly on any of our boats - it's something that one goes boating to get away from.

That's correct, I have internet in the house but no mobile phone. Mrs. Athy does have one of those tablets (she says it's either a Google or a Nexus?) which she sometimes takes to the boat. No, it doesn't appeal to me, for the same reason that we have never had a telly on any of our boats - it's something that one goes boating to get away from.

Shurely you can't be having an attack of tongue in cheek??

I must admit the mobile data market is very confusing. The difference between a mobile telephone (a device to enable you to actually speak to another person has been changed in recent years so that you can send them a 'telegram' or text message. Now a mobile phone has transmogrified into a device that can take pictures, videos compose emails and send them to others. Indeed - for the nimble fingered a phone / tablet now acts as a mini laptop.

For the less dextrous person you can buy an attachment for a laptop - colloquially known as a dongle - into which you can insert a suitable SIM (Subscriber Identity Module - that giving no clue to what it actually does) - which allows you do whatever the modern mobile phone now does more conveniently and comfortably for those who are less aurally, visually or dexterously able.

Indeed the whole technology has expanded to the extent that you can watch videos, TV programmes and the like on your TV through the medium of your telephonic device. Apart from the great expansion of network traffic and hence additional income to the service provider, nobody has realised that the networks are not coping with this new traffic - but that's another matter.

I hope this clears the matter for you......

[insert smiley here]

Apologies for the carp title. For some reason I seem to have acquired a delay on my device when typing. Should have read "Great 30 day rolling contract, data sim only deal."

Think my Hudl2 is expiring!

Edited by johnmck

Shurely you can't be having an attack of tongue in cheek??

[snip]

I hope this clears the matter for you......

No, I am perfectly serious. Shurely you can't be having an attack of condescension?

I've managed rather well for bleepy-bleep years without feeling any need to carry a telephone around with me. If I am away from home and wish to send some text to another person, I will write them a letter or a postcard. If I wish to speak to them I'll use a call box.

My only concession to these devices is, I think, a prudent one: as Mrs. Athy does a lot of driving in her job, sometimes after dark, I encourage her to carry a phobile mone (indeed, I actually bought her one) in case she has a breakdown or other incident while on the road.

No, I am perfectly serious. Shurely you can't be having an attack of condescension?

I've managed rather well for bleepy-bleep years without feeling any need to carry a telephone around with me. If I am away from home and wish to send some text to another person, I will write them a letter or a postcard. If I wish to speak to them I'll use a call box.

My only concession to these devices is, I think, a prudent one: as Mrs. Athy does a lot of driving in her job, sometimes after dark, I encourage her to carry a phobile mone (indeed, I actually bought her one) in case she has a breakdown or other incident while on the road.

Not at all - merely an attack of tongue-in-cheek!

Everything communications-wise today is based around mobile devices - banks wish to force me to enter codes they send me in order to verify a transaction. Vodafone stops me looking at my data only contract on my PC at home (their internet signal here is 2G or worse). Our landline connection speed is 5Mb/ sec: or worse, despite the fact that there are fibre cables not 400 yds away and BT won't do anything about it....

so I'm fed up and like to tilt at the market.

Not at all - merely an attack of tongue-in-cheek!

Everything communications-wise today is based around mobile devices - banks wish to force me to enter codes they send me in order to verify a transaction. Vodafone stops me looking at my data only contract on my PC at home (their internet signal here is 2G or worse). Our landline connection speed is 5Mb/ sec: or worse, despite the fact that there are fibre cables not 400 yds away and BT won't do anything about it....

so I'm fed up and like to tilt at the market.

You really have swallowed the Phobile Mone Book Of Jargon this morning!

As for "everything communications-wise" being based around mobile devices, now I know that you're having a laugh.

Apologies for the carp title. For some reason I seem to have acquired a delay on my device when typing. Should have read "Great 30 day rolling contract, data sim only deal."

Think my Hudl2 is expiring!

Sounds like it needs "cleaning" (its memory, not the screen or case). Try downloading an app called "The Cleaner" from the Play store. Worked wonders for my Hudl.

Fair enough,I respect your right to boat and get away from techy stuff.

Fair enough,I respect your right to boat and get away from techy stuff.

Thanks. Were I living on board I'm sure I would want more home "comforts" as it would be my home. But as it is, we never spend more than 2 weeks consecutively on the boat.

We do, however, have two radios on board!

I find a smart-phone enormously useful, despite making little use of the various entertainment options. Having a calendar/diary linked to my home computer is great. Having tides, weather, news, maps, Satnav, and Google available at the push of a button makes life so much easier. Email and every other form of electronic communication is always available. Basically, it makes the idea of wi-fi hotspots redundant, and if you are staying in an hotel, you don't need to pay their extortionate charges.

And I confess that I do play Othello/Reversi on it when travelling by bus - BTW, it tells me when the next bus is coming too.

But all these things need data.

I am close to your age, Athy, or possibly even older! So dip your toe in the water and try the 21st Century.

Edited by George94

I find a smart-phone enormously useful, despite making little use of the various entertainment options. Having a calendar/diary linked to my home computer is great. Having tides, weather, news, maps, Satnav, and Google available at the push of a button makes life so much easier. Email and every other form of electronic communication is always available. Basically, it makes the idea of wi-fi hotspots redundant, and if you are staying in an hotel, you don't need to pay their extortionate charges.

And I confess that I do play Othello/Reversi on it when travelling by bus - BTW, it tells me when the next bus is coming too.

But all these things need data.

I am close to your age, Athy, or possibly even older! So dip your toe in the water and try the 21st Century.

I must admit a couple of years ago I went through a phase of going 'back to basics' with my phone and went back to a basic Nokia and even bought a Filofax!!

However I agree modern smartphones are great and after a while with an iPhone again I am now using a Nokia Lumia 930 Windows phone and on the verge of ditching my iPad all together. The screen is big enough and it sync's brilliantly with my Windows PC and Outlook. So much so I find myself picking it up in preference to my Pad.

The only really annoyance I have with it is getting my Bank (Nationwide) to get their backsides into gear and develop an app. for Windows phones, pretty much all the other major banks have done so, Nationwide 'have the matter under consideration'. They do of course have one for Android and iOS.

I would never make the claim 'you couldn't live without one' as you so often hear people say, but I find the convenience and accessibility of information at your fingertips vey useful.

Other uses I put it too-

Keeping all my internet passwords (protected by a master password)

Recording my BP and printing the readings for my GP

Streaming Digital music to the car Stereo

Streaming internet radio so I can listen to otherwise unavailable radio stations on my bedside table or the mini hi-fi in the lounge (Our DAB and VHF reception is dire)

Tethering to my iPad if I really do want to use it and I haven't got wi-fi

etc etc

Edited by MJG

We are part time boaters, only living on for six months. We would find it very difficult to live without full contact with the outside world without the internet.

I am not decrying anyone who wishes to turn their back on technology onboard, but...

I have been in it since its inception, thank you. If you like your electronic toys and gimmicks, by all means play with them, but not everyone will want to join you. I do not feel the need for a Satnav on the boat and I certainly don't want to take a computer on board.

Edited by Athy