Mooring overnight on the BCN - Wednesbury Oak Loop

comfortably numb

Featured Posts

I'm planning our latest venture on the wonderful BCN (filling in the few parts we haven't 'done' before). I'm looking for potential overnight mooring options and was wondering if it's possible to moor at the end of the arm outside the Bradley Works, or perhaps other safe moorings elsewhere along the arm. .

Researching some old posts on here I see that a few have moored outside the works unofficially, but that was 3 years ago so I'd be interested to find out what the up to date situation is please?

I prefer not having the restriction of planning our trips too specifically but like to have a few options available for when we're actually there and this is one I'm considering.

Just wondering whether turning into the basin would be better. It is a bit of a tight turn though. I think the chain was removed long ago?

Is there a noise from the pumps? Can't remember.

Ed: anyway, they're not that close.

Edited by nicknorman

Just wondering whether turning into the basin would be better. It is a bit of a tight turn though. I think the chain was removed long ago?

Is there a noise from the pumps? Can't remember.

The bridge is at a bit of an angle, I reversed in and then coming out turned towards the end then winded in the canal. It would need to be a very short boat to make the turn the other way I think.

The bridge is at a bit of an angle, I reversed in and then coming out turned towards the end then winded in the canal. It would need to be a very short boat to make the turn the other way I think.

We did turn into the opening to wind, probably a mistake! But at 59' and a bit of jiggery pokery we did manage it. Biggest problem was the shallows on the opposite side for our 2'8" stern.

To just wind you should be able to do that in the canal past the basin bridge. We moored in the basin after the Challenge last year. At the end of the challenge there were boats 3 abreast in the canal and a 60ft (I believe) boat tried and failed to wind using the basin bridge.

To just wind you should be able to do that in the canal past the basin bridge. We moored in the basin after the Challenge last year. At the end of the challenge there were boats 3 abreast in the canal and a 60ft (I believe) boat tried and failed to wind using the basin bridge.

It was a few years ago when we did it, we had super shiny paint and I didn't much like the look of the vegetation on the far side beyond the basin bridge. Maybe it has been cut back since?

It was a few years ago when we did it, we had super shiny paint and I didn't much like the look of the vegetation on the far side beyond the basin bridge. Maybe it has been cut back since?

Not sure, but I am certain Richard has winded Tawny there so you should have space without getting near too the bushes. Thanks for the shiny paint reminder though, my tactics may well be different this year.

Not sure, but I am certain Richard has winded Tawny there so you should have space without getting near too the bushes. Thanks for the shiny paint reminder though, my tactics may well be different this year.

Yes he did but with some difficulty. I watched him do it.

JP

It was Dotterel which is 62 feet and we almost made it! Cheers Graham

Thanks all of you for your replies, very helpful suggestions about winding (my boat is 62'), but not many about actually over-nighting there wink.png.

I'm fairly certain the chain is no longer there which should help me with winding and if the need arises I now know that mooring there is an option.

I knew I could rely on you lot clapping.gif

Thanks all of you for your replies, very helpful suggestions about winding (my boat is 62'), but not many about actually over-nighting there wink.png.

I'm fairly certain the chain is no longer there which should help me with winding and if the need arises I now know that mooring there is an option.

I knew I could rely on you lot clapping.gif

Yes, you can overnight there. Be aware that the gate will be locked, so you can't get out of the site

Richard

Yes, you can overnight there. Be aware that the gate will be locked, so you can't get out of the site

Richard

... Which is a shame because whilst there aren't any shops etc, it is worth a short walk to look at the buried / disused locks (that might be subject to restoration at some point). Presumably one could get out during a working day.

Staying in the basin is best, a call to them will probably get you permission, theres also a water point there too. 01902 491088 is the number to call, they are not under the local control of Fazeley.

... Which is a shame because whilst there aren't any shops etc, it is worth a short walk to look at the buried / disused locks (that might be subject to restoration at some point). Presumably one could get out during a working day.

Whole range of shops and a chippy just a few hundred yards away at the top of Bradley lane.

Yeah you can moor there. I guess its secure.....especially since the gate will be locked....and you could have a look round (the outside of) Bradley workshops.......struggling for another reason to moor there, apart from that its there and it means you could "tick off" that bit of canal as done??

post-14179-0-25009200-1454754907_thumb.jpg

post-14179-0-15662100-1454755006_thumb.jpg

Staying in the basin is best, a call to them will probably get you permission, theres also a water point there too. 01902 491088 is the number to call, they are not under the local control of Fazeley.

Whole range of shops and a chippy just a few hundred yards away at the top of Bradley lane.

How do you get to the shops from the basin?

Brilliant folks, and a great help thanks. Whether or not we actually moor overnight there depends upon time of day we get there as well as things like the weather etc. So long as it's safe and reasonably quiet and there's somewhere to exercise the dog then that's fine and if we are able to get out of the compound and have a mooch around then that'd be a bonus.

We looked for a way out at the end of the BCN Challenge last year, even for a gap in the fence but failed. Ended up having a takeaway delivered and passed through the gate!

Agree if would be a good overnight mooring though and the workshops are fascinating, even just walking round the outside.

Tom

It is a shame that an official visitor moiring can not be created at the end with a BW key locked gate to get out, that would encourage more people to venture down the arm.

Ian Lane seems reasonably receptive. Perhaps it should be suggested to him. Via the BCNS if that gives it more clout.

Ian Lane seems reasonably receptive. Perhaps it should be suggested to him. Via the BCNS if that gives it more clout.

I think I have already made that suggestion, but no harm in doing it again I guess, the more the merrier if others want to do that. For most there is no place they would choose to stop between top of the 21 and the BCLM,vso this gives another option, which is what I believe the BCN in general needs.