The Final One Plan Thread? ;-)

Jambo

Featured Posts

Three are apparently sending letters to AYCE mobile contract holders (I assume including One Plan users) that they're jacking the monthly fee up to £30 (a doubling for many). Looks like they're playing hardball now:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/tariff-almost-doubles-on-threes-all-you-can-eat-mobile-phone-contract-a6843656.html

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/639291/Three-UK-Mobile-Contract-Price-Increase-MakeItRight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35441452

And on the same day that news gets in the press they're claiming that they'll hold prices steady for 5 years if their takeover of O2 is allowed:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/508f3a12-ca95-11e5-be0b-b7ece4e953a0.html

Edited by Jambo

Mine has come down from 37 to 28. With no reduction in service, they can't see my tethering.

I suppose I can get a better deal somwhere, not sure I can get a level of use able internet without spending more and sticking more things in the window or on the roof.

Talk of Three somehow in breach of some European directive about contract law (in news paper comments) is surely nonsense.

Your minimum contract term with them lasts something like 18 or 24 months after that (with notice) they can do what they like surely??, just as the customer can.

Edited by MJG

Mine has come down from 37 to 28. With no reduction in service, they can't see my tethering.

I suppose I can get a better deal somwhere, not sure I can get a level of use able internet without spending more and sticking more things in the window or on the roof.

Is that a general weakness to their system or you in particular? I've seen reference to them being unable to quantify tethering before but people are generally a bit vague.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the one plan SIM only AYCE contract. I have heard nothing from them.

AFAIK nothing has changed but I must check on my bank statement and make sure that they are still charging the same £15.

N

AFAIK nothing has changed but I must check on my bank statement and make sure that they are still charging the same £15.

N

Just checked my bills: £25 for the calls and AYCE -£10 loyalty discount last month.

N

I got my letter about ending the one plan last week, like others the cost would have gone up dramatically.

I ended up changing to the 200 mins, ayce texts, ayce data (12gb tethered) tarrif.

It was a little more expensive than the one plan but fits my usage pattern well.

I will be watching to how much / little of my actual tethering it picks up (it never broke it down under the one plan)

interestingly my partner has not had a letter about their one plan yet (even though it was ordered at the same time as mine).

Is that a general weakness to their system or you in particular? I've seen reference to them being unable to quantify tethering before but people are generally a bit vague.

The phone I have did not come with the contract due to various misadventures with the original one (s).

N

Me neither. I pay £18 per month for a rolling AYCE everything SIM only contract. I've been expecting the letter for a year now!

My other half had the letter a couple of weeks ago - she hardly uses any data, so they tried to sell a plan that offers less than Giffgaffs £10 plan for £12... got the PAC code, ordered a giffgaff sim, and will be switching around 12th March.

Hope she can get a decent signal as Giffgaff uses O2 which is abysmal in some places.

Phil

Hope she can get a decent signal as Giffgaff uses O2 which is abysmal in some places.

Phil

I made the switch to Giffgaff a year ago and have had no problems with the signal, so she should be OK :)

We also used them a few years ago before getting The One Plan, so things may even have got better in the places we frequent.

Phil

I made the switch to Giffgaff a year ago and have had no problems with the signal, so she should be OK smile.png

We also used them a few years ago before getting The One Plan, so things may even have got better in the places we frequent.

This is a very regional thing though.

Where we operate most (Southern GU) '3' is almost always consistently better than O2, and there are many places, including our home mooring, where '3' works and O2 does not. Cath has switched from O2 as a result, and now has 'EE'. Much better than O2, but still not as good as '3' and still no use on home mooring.

'3' also works at canal level in Braunston, which, unless things have changed, most other networks do not.

I consider myself somewhat locked in to '3' because I need a reliable service at our home mooring, and no other network provides it. However my '3' phone does not work reliably at our home address, so there is currently no one size fits all solution for us.

The net has been harder and harder to get on at our home moorings and we in common with many others find we have to reboot 2 or 3 times before things start to happen. 3 is the only broadband available here so I rang them and was told they are being overwhelmed by subscribers and gave me a 50% discount on my monthly rental. I have spoken to others here who have had the same issued and outcome.

They surely must be going to upgrade their mast as I don't think halving everybodies bill makes sense in the long term.

Pw

3 is the only broadband available here so I rang them and was told they are being overwhelmed by subscribers and gave me a 50% discount on my monthly rental. I have spoken to others here who have had the same issued and outcome.

They surely must be going to upgrade their mast as I don't think halving everybodies bill makes sense in the long term.

Pw

Sounds like sales guff to me... If they are inundated, why would they feel the need to give a discount? If they are inundated in your particular area, the bandwidth is going to be spread thinly, as you suggest.

I dont think they own enough bandwidth in the 4G spectra to increase supply, so I'd guess it's less to do with the aerial, and more to do with over selling, (which is probably what they did with The One Plan.

One of the reasons I dumped Threes' One Plan before they dumped me was due to their limited bandwidth meaning poor speeds.

It didnt matter as much for Janet, as her One Plan was only really needed in anger if we had an outage of the home broadband, (Virgin), which hasn't happened for some time, (touch wood :) )

This is a very regional thing though.

Where we operate most (Southern GU) '3' is almost always consistently better than O2, and there are many places, including our home mooring, where '3' works and O2 does not. Cath has switched from O2 as a result, and now has 'EE'. Much better than O2, but still not as good as '3' and still no use on home mooring.

'3' also works at canal level in Braunston, which, unless things have changed, most other networks do not.

I consider myself somewhat locked in to '3' because I need a reliable service at our home mooring, and no other network provides it. However my '3' phone does not work reliably at our home address, so there is currently no one size fits all solution for us.

I found my 3 to be very good around the areas you name.

Sounds like sales guff to me... If they are inundated, why would they feel the need to give a discount? If they are inundated in your particular area, the bandwidth is going to be spread thinly, as you suggest.

I dont think they own enough bandwidth in the 4G spectra to increase supply, so I'd guess it's less to do with the aerial, and more to do with over selling, (which is probably what they did with The One Plan.

One of the reasons I dumped Threes' One Plan before they dumped me was due to their limited bandwidth meaning poor speeds.

It didnt matter as much for Janet, as her One Plan was only really needed in anger if we had an outage of the home broadband, (Virgin), which hasn't happened for some time, (touch wood smile.png )

I think he meant unundated with people complaining about being harder to connect ie rebooting 2 or 3 times to get on.

Neil

I've had my letter now, a year after my contract "ran out". I've never taken the mickey, which I suppose is how I've survived this long, so I suspect that those others among us who have also gone long beyond contract expiry for similar reasons may be in the same boat shortly. :(

I've had my letter now, a year after my contract "ran out". I've never taken the mickey, which I suppose is how I've survived this long, so I suspect that those others among us who have also gone long beyond contract expiry for similar reasons may be in the same boat shortly. :(

Not had mine, yet. What are they offering to keep you as a valued customer.

Not had mine, yet. What are they offering to keep you as a valued customer.

Slightly less (package) for slightly more (cash) in the letter, or to switch to a plan of my choosing from their range. So nothing special at all for the valued customer bit although telephone negotiations are yet to be done.

Eta the bracketed bits.

Edited by Sea Dog

I've had my letter now, a year after my contract "ran out". I've never taken the mickey, which I suppose is how I've survived this long, so I suspect that those others among us who have also gone long beyond contract expiry for similar reasons may be in the same boat shortly. sad.png

Got my letter a couple of weeks ago - not bad, I've managed almost 18 months since the contract expired.

I did use the tethering quite a lot when we had the boat, but for the last year or so, its been a bit of an unused luxury, so when they told me in the letter I would be restricted to 12gb 'and by the way, we'll only double your monthly charge to £30' I said thanks but no thanks. Going to a cheap Virgin deal as I don't use the phone for much anymore, just a backup for occasional use.

Have to say, it was a good deal when we were out and about on the boat. And have spent quite a lot of time in various hospitals in the last year waiting around, so it did come in handy then (waiting for others luckily for me).