Basingstoke Canal - Temp Moorings?

mark99

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if there are moorings on the Basingstoke where a boat can be left secure for a couple of weeks? <obviously we will pay>

We are visiting (Spring) and, rather than rush though, we want to dawdle a bit however work calls and it will be better to go through/back in two stages.

TIA

Edited by mark99

Does anyone know if there are moorings on the Basingstoke where a boat can be left secure for a couple of weeks? <obviously we will pay>

We are visiting (Spring) and, rather than rush though, we want to dawdle a bit however work calls and it will be better to go through/back in two stages.

TIA

Two places with moorings spring to mind, although I don't know about availability.

1. A little way north of the visitor centre, Mytchett. Call 01252 370073.

2. At Galleon Marine, Odiham. Call 01256 703691.

Whilst there are several possible locations for casual towpath mooring, I wouldn't leave a boat unattended in many of them, even if it were permitted.

M

Two places with moorings spring to mind, although I don't know about availability.

Whilst there are several possible locations for casual towpath mooring, I wouldn't leave a boat unattended in many of them, even if it were permitted.

M

Mychett advise that you can only leave your boat un-attended for 72 hours - so my plan to go back to work is out the window!

I'll revise to do a 9 dayer starting and leaving at Pyford if I can get a temp mooring there.

Edited by mark99

I've never had a problem getting a short term mooring at Pyrford Marina. They have always been very helpful, but not cheap.

Another possibility might be the "Bridge Barn" in Woking. They have mooring for customers and they might let you stay there. Could be worth a try?

M

What is the problem with casual mooring on this canal? I had had the same idea as the OP. Cheers.

Edited by Mary P

What is the problem with casual mooring on this canal? I had had the same idea as the OP. Cheers.

IIRC all trips along the Basingstoke are micro-managed by the navigation authority and have to be logged in advance (or something like that) so a canal ranger can turn up as you arrive at each lock, unchain it, then chain it up again after you've passed. All due to a desperate shortage of water.

Or it was like this when I spent a few days on it about ten years ago. Things may have changed.

The chap in the Canal office said to dissuade "Cruisers".

Make of that what you want! wink.png

I think my plan to revert to max 9 days or less is looking favourite to be honest.

Get to Pryford, back to work. Up the Basingstoke back to Pyrford, back to work. From Pyrford and up/down the Wey. Back to Pyrford/home.

All the time wondering whether the "bloke hiding in the bushes" is a stonethrower, ranger, stockbroker burying his bonus or just a rude Southern towpather that you only get in Surrey according to some. smile.png

Edited by mark99

Sorry for the late response. I agree with what others have posted ... I would have the usual concerns as to whether my boat would be safe. It can be totally fine in a deprived urban area or very vulnerable in a rural area, defying logic. Or t'other way round of course. So I never leave it unattended overnight. And, as already stated, the canal authority will have its own rules anyway.

In response to MtB's post, yes the BCA does effectively micro-manage your navigation of the canal, but only through the lock flights. It is possible to stay on the Basingstoke for a few weeks - see NB Epiphany's excellent blog detailing the Slees' two trips in recent years. We were ascending the Deepcut flight and passed them coming down in October 2014 (there is an oblique view of our boat here - we're famous!)

M