winding at torksey

14skipper

Featured Posts

We've winded our 67-ft boat many times below the lock. The widest point is immediately below the lock, because there are no pontoons, but I am not sure whether the depth is adequate at low tide. There is plenty of room opposite the visitor's pontoons, and even if there is a big boat moored there you can put your bows into an outfall opposite and watch the look of fear on their faces as your stern sweeps round past their glossy plastic

Arriving from Keadby afew years ago, I moored on the pontoon, ducking in to beat craft coming out of the lock. The following morning I struggled to wind 57 ft as tide was exceptionally low, although I was advised it was best time to go.. The river was low all the way to Cromwell and some cruisers with outdrives.

Hi is there room to wind a 60ft below Torksey lock ?

14Skipper

Pretty much a necessity since overnighting here on the way down the Trent is oft recommended with a stop on the pontoon (to eb arranged with the lock keeper) but you don't want to have to reverse back out into the mainstream to re-commence the journey!

Yes, very big tide, and maybe even some 'fresh' on top of it as well.

What must be remembered about Torksey is that this far upriver the High Water 'stand' of the tide is much briefer than it is further down toward the Humber and the sea.

Once the river has reached the HW level for any tide, there can be a sudden and very rapid drop in water level, . . . . a foot, or more, disappearing within a minute or two.

For this reason, avoid turning boats in Torksey Cut immediately prior to , or at the time of, local HW.

Edited by Tony Dunkley