Insurance quote

bigcol

Featured Posts

craft insure for 7 years got my renewral quote as runs out next month

it's the same price if I went as a new customer on line for fully comp.

Every year gos up for, just wondered do prices reflect all the floods we've had.

I thought I would get some loyalty discount.

Col

Edited by bigcol

I think insurers of all risks give little/nothing for loyalty any more, (if they ever did).

I started in 2011/12 with Haven Knox at about £150, (I think), then they increased it to about £170 after a claim free year, so I shopped around. GJW were about £120 so I switched... following year GJW were about the same and I called to see if increasing my excess would reduce the premium... they dropped it to £95, but didnt increase the excess. This year its about £110. I've lost a year in the figures, but you get the gist.

I'm not saying GJW will be best for you, but they are worth a call, and it's probably time to shop around.

I've always found GJW to be a fair company with the added bonus of contents as well and a 30 year limit without requring a survey for fully comp cover.

Was with Saga for a number of years until one year they really hiked it up without a satisfactory reason, hence my return to GJW.

Slightly off topic but I believe insurance companies charge what they think they can get away with, working on the bank account theory that most people can't be bothered to shop around knowing all the potential problems that can arise by changing so just pay whatever they it says on the renewal letter. I'm with Green Flag breakdown service and despite the no claims discount they advertise my premium still seems to rise well above inflation every year but I still pay it without question because it's just easier ( and they are still the cheapest despite that )

Car insurance is no different. We inevitably swap companies every year. Sometimes the extant company will price-match (which makes me wonder why they didn't quote that price in the first place) but not always.

My first year inland boating was with as GjW as insured by them on coastal boat for years.

Changed to craftinsure as again premium went up.

Craft insure good value, never in my life time made any claim.

Yet price keeps going up,same price whether your a brand new customer, or very long term customer.

Last year I noticed a AA had taken out £130 DD

We decided as I don't drive now and wife drives in MK we didn't need it.

Phoned them up, told them didn't want to renew could they refund me.

Been a customer for years

They reduced the premium,not the cover by well over half. Same cover

I didn't even try

So yes it pays to phone and question a premium

I'm going to try craftinsure

Wish me luck

It seems most insurance premiums are computer generated with no allowance for time with the company. As retention is very important to most insurers phoning up and questioning a rise in premium and threatening to leave will normally result in a discount.

I didn't even try

Wish me luck

Just a quick word on this - make sure they actually do reduce the premium. This happened to me a few years ago and I didn't notice until the following year that they had actually not enforced the reduced premium and taken the original over inflated price out of my bank. Stupid of me not to check, but I pledged never to touch The AA ever again. I had no proof of the conversation with the call centre so there was nothing I could do a year on.

I have been with Craftinsure for many years and didn't find their increases to be unreasonable. However last year I made a claim following a breaking. The claim was for about £450 but with their £300 excess I only received £150. A couple of months later the renewal came through with an increase of £100 because of my claim. If I had known that, I would have done the work myself and not made a claim. I did contact them and said I wasn't very impressed with the rise, especially after the £300 excess and about 12 years of no claims, after which they reduced the increase by £30. Still not very impressed.

Had a couple more quotes, not a lot in it, to be fair.

Having spoken to craftinsure and have had good comunication in the past

I've decided to stay with Craftinsure.

Thanks for the imput

And yes it's good to talk

Col

Had a couple more quotes, not a lot in it, to be fair.

Having spoken to craftinsure and have had good comunication in the past

I've decided to stay with Craftinsure.

Thanks for the imput

And yes it's good to talk

Col

I wonder if they up their premiums early in each New Year? Mine falls due right at the beginning of January, which seems to be before they've had chance to increase the premium!

I didn't even try

Wish me luck

That's still £65 or so, you can get breakdown cover for £18.95 these days (and about £30 for an equivalent to the AA, which you probably don't need).

That's still £65 or so, you can get breakdown cover for £18.95 these days (and about £30 for an equivalent to the AA, which you probably don't need).

We are getting slightly off topic, but I guess it depends on the level of cover you want.

My own findings is that if I wanted cover that would take me on to my destination and or home it was about £30 to add it to my insurance for the one car alone, but as I have three cars by the time I had added it to all of them the AA cover worked out cheaper and also covered me fully (relay to destination/home) in any other car even as a passenger, which given a lot of people just have a 'roadside assistance' type cover may well save me one day.

As someone who is fairly competent, carries a small tool kit in the car, can change a wheel etc while there might be things that could be done that I cant do getting towed 20miles to a closed garage on Sunday evening is not my idea of breakdown cover.

Daniel

I have been with the same insurance company for well over twenty years. I dont think my premiums have moved much each year the reason I stay with them is that my bother in law needed to claim and they paid out without question. The most important thing by far with an insurance policy tom me is not the actual policy cost but wether the particular company will or will not pay out or wriggle out. I would rather pay lets say an extra 100 squid a year on a paying out policy than a cheaper one that doesnt pay up. I do not pay ANY excess on my car policy either, this year the excess should have been 300 pounds and for 18 pounds I reduced it to zero, what is the point of being insured but not realy insured?

Tim