Cost of a decent widebeam?

Donna

Featured Posts

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=454080

This boat in the link above seems incredibly cheap considering how it looks. I am still trying to study up on the technical aspects of boats so can anyone tell me whether there is something obvious that makes the price so low?

You see from a little browsing I have goot the impression that I'd be looking at at least 60k for a half decent second hand widebeam. Is this correct?

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=454080

This boat in the link above seems incredibly cheap considering how it looks. I am still trying to study up on the technical aspects of boats so can anyone tell me whether there is something obvious that makes the price so low?

You see from a little browsing I have goot the impression that I'd be looking at at least 60k for a half decent second hand widebeam. Is this correct?

Its about right I would say. I sold my nice 50 foot widebeam a year ago for 50k very quickly. Remember it will have more room than a 60 foot narrowboat and in a more useable configuration.

Tim

Might be that it's only 9 feet 9 inches wide which isn't (I believe) a particularly popular size. You should be able to get in through the Ribble link if it will do the tight turn at the sewer pipe crossing, if not you'd have to move it by road if you want to get off the Lancaster.

K

This boats moored about 10 meters away from me in Garstang marina, having recently come back on to its mooring. From the outside it looks very smart fairly fresh if not new paint job with recent blacking. I think the interior pictures are the before and after type as the latter pics look to be before the galley refit, i might be wrong of course. Must be worth a look if its the style your after, also the marina at Garstang is a nice place to be. The boats nothing to do with me I just happen to be nearby. Happy hunting!

This boats moored about 10 meters away from me in Garstang marina, having recently come back on to its mooring. From the outside it looks very smart fairly fresh if not new paint job with recent blacking. I think the interior pictures are the before and after type as the latter pics look to be before the galley refit, i might be wrong of course. Must be worth a look if its the style your after, also the marina at Garstang is a nice place to be. The boats nothing to do with me I just happen to be nearby. Happy hunting!

Thanks for that - I did suspect before and after shots.

So, it's an open plan saloon/kitchen/bedroom with a separate bathroom?

Richard

Oh yes - welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome must admit to having been a bit of a lurker for a few months now .I must agree that the advert is rather confusing and I am struggling to understand the interior layout going by the advert photos.

I suspect it's just that you've been looking mainly at boats with a 12' beam and this one's 10'. If it was 20% wider and cost 20% more (£54,000), would that still strike you as suspiciously cheap?

If you're interested, I'd go and have a look.

No. of engines: 1 Engine model: I Engine power: 50 Engine hours: 750 Fuel type: Diesel Drive type: Shaft drive

Now I'm the first to admit I don't know much about engines, but even I suspect the average buyer would want a little more information than that. And is there really an engine model called just "I" ? As in "I'm the engine, I have to bow haul it"?

Why has there been this fashion for years now to use a lot of black in interior design? It's good for photographic darkrooms and chalkboards, both now rather obsolete, and not much else.

Having said which, if and when I come to buy a boat I doubt I'd be interested in a widebeam so what am I doing in this topic?

Having said which, if and when I come to buy a boat I doubt I'd be interested in a widebeam so what am I doing in this topic?

You were offering your opinion and advice.

I don't necessarily need to be in the market for a battery charger or a galvanic isolator to offer advice on these items of equipment. Likewise you don't need to be interested in buying a widebeam...

Had a wonder over to this wide beam this morning and noticed the Boat shed for sale boards, looked it up on there web sight and it appears to be priced at £75000 not £45000, also there are lots of updated photos and a better description of the boats systems.

Had a wonder over to this wide beam this morning and noticed the Boat shed for sale boards, looked it up on there web sight and it appears to be priced at £75000 not £45000, also there are lots of updated photos and a better description of the boats systems.

at 75k its very expensive to say the least

45K listing is a mistake , I have phoned and was told the 45k boat is the first few pics on the listing , Its not before and after pics , two different boats somehow in a mixed up listing error.

Whoops!

Thanks for that

Richard