April/May trip; Yelvertoft to Llangollen

geehils

Featured Posts

I'm looking at this return trip for April/May and was wondering the pro's and con's of going through Birmingham and up the Shropshire Union, compared with going up the Trent and Mersey, as I have never been on either of these canals.

Canal plan calculates they take about the same time, but the shorter route has more locks.

I'd appreciate others thoughts and experiences and details of places they found interesting to stop at along the way.

Thanks all.

Depends on whether you like locks!

I have done both ways several times, but prefer the North Oxford, Coventry and T&M route unless I have additional crew.

If going via Birmingham, I find it more scenic to go via the northern part of the Stratford Canal, rather than the GU all the way.

The route via Leamington, Lapworth, Brum and up the Shroppie is more varied and interesting IMO.

Why don't you go up one way and back the other to make a combined Warwickshire/Black Country/Four Counties ring?

Places of interest? Braunston, Hatton, Brum, BCLM, Hack Green Nuclear Bunker, Whixall Moss, Nantwich, Pont....Aqueduct, Llangollen, Middlewich, Harecastle, Stone, Shugborough, Fradley for starters.

Edited by Dave_P