What colour paint

Alan&sue

Featured Posts

having a light grey one I disagree but it is grey raddle no problem

I have a dove grey roof which is a marine anti slip paint and as such with an aggregate mixed in it is effectively also none reflective so I never have issues with the sun on the roof. It is noticeably cooler in the summer.

Phil

Edit for spilling

Edited by Phil Ambrose

I have a dove grey roof which is a marine anti slip paint and as such with an aggregate mixed in it is effectively also none reflective so I never have issues with the dun on the roof. It is noticeably cooler in the summer.

Phil

Likewise, no issue for us either.cheers.gif

We are Brunswick green all over, in a sort of 'gloss but not very' all bar the folding wheelhouse roof which is as sort of old English white (I put a spoon fil of yellow and a drop of red in it) and polarising sunglasses are must!

Oh, and red handrails that fade 2years before the rest if only after 7 years.

But paint what you like, what looks nice to you.

Daniel

Perhaps it depends on how glossy it is. I've had a matt non-slip cream roof and I've never had any problems with glare.

I agree with you. Never had any glare issues with a matt cream roof even on that 30 degree day last year.

Bugger to keep clean though. :)

Hi

We are planning on paining our boat in a couple of weeks, I've been looking racing green & grey roof. Any recommendations on best paint to use & any ideas on other colours scheme

Thanks

Light blue and raddle red? TBH does not matter how nice the roof looks if it's cluttered with chattels it won't matter.

20140824_112948_zps6070c3ce.jpg

Perhaps it depends on how glossy it is. I've had a matt non-slip cream roof and I've never had any problems with glare.

I agree,my boat has a cream roof with non-slip sand in it, and I have never suffered glare. It keeps the boat cooler on the rare occasions we have hot summers as well.

Digressing slightly from the colour issue I've had excellent (and lasting) results using Dacylate Vehicle and Machinery Enamel. They mix the colour you want, we used a blue, RAL5002, there was never any hint of fading and it wore well on the roof, some of it plain and some non slip using dried sand.

Bob

edit for finger trouble.

Edited by Hawkmoth

Have heard it's not the best idea to use red. It seems to fade quicker than other colours... allegedly

edited to add... had already posted before I saw Phil's post !

It can also crack. There's on DQ's horizontal surfaces faded a bit (not to pink though), but also cracked on the handrails. Looked as though someone had slashed at it with a Stanley knife. Paint was Top Laq. However it is undamaged on the vertical surfaces.

Some red paints fare better than others with fading (the red paintwork on mine is showing no signs of fading on a 5 year old paint job)

the light grey roof (dove grey?) does not cause glare although it is not a high gloss finish.

I wish I could help with paint makes but the boat was painted 2 owners before me and there is no record of who painted it and with what.

post-9998-0-90818800-1454166846_thumb.jpg

Having changed from a dark to a light roof (matt)

1. Noticeably cooler in summer

2. No problem with glare, even on the rare occasions when the angle of the sun might cause one.

Use decent paint, that has a relatively high UV protection factor.

Choose whatever colour scheme pleases you.

Red usually fades quicker than other colours. High quality reds will just take longer. It's a matter of chemistry, to do with red absorbing higher energy/shorter wavelength light.