Alde Comfort not turning off

OldPeculier

Featured Posts

I've got an Alde Comfort - tall thin one that I use to heat the calorifier.

A couple of times now, I've struggled to get the thing to turn off. Turning the knob to the off position shuts the burner down but the thing keeps sparking. I have to re light it and turn it off several times before it finally stops.

Not a major issue but it can be a pain. Any ideas?

on mine the microswitch has been removed and replaced with a little push button that's mounted next to the knob so it may be that this is a common problem.

I find that the separate button is not an issue in use, just push the knob down and press the button (boiler usually lights on the 2nd spark), then count to 5 and set the knob to the right temperature (usually about 1 1/2 for mine)

Ok. I had a look last night. The little plastic cam on the bottom of the knob that the micro switch is activated by, is worn, and the arm on the switch can sometimes go over it and off the other side causing it to start sparking again. Bending the arm has helped a bit, but I'll get some epoxy putty and 'build up' the cam again for a more permanent fix.

on mine the microswitch has been removed and replaced with a little push button that's mounted next to the knob so it may be that this is a common problem.

This is what the earlier models had - ours is like that

Richard

I find that the separate button is not an issue in use, just push the knob down and press the button (boiler usually lights on the 2nd spark), then count to 5 and set the knob to the right temperature (usually about 1 1/2 for mine)

Interested in what Jess-- says. How long have you operated on a separate switch? I fitted one a while ago - admittedly a cheap switch - and found that, after a while, my problems with (non-)sparking came back. Sorted by fitting a new switch so now I buy them in pairs and have a new one ready to fit.

I've also bought an old complete boiler to cannibalise for spares - that already had a switch conversion so I'm guessing that problems with the microswitch are common. Mine was caused by an engineer removing the control knob and axle and snapping off the arm that the axle runs through. But I find that I'm much happier controlling the spark myself rather than relying on the electronics.

Interested in what Jess-- says. How long have you operated on a separate switch? I fitted one a while ago - admittedly a cheap switch - and found that, after a while, my problems with (non-)sparking came back. Sorted by fitting a new switch so now I buy them in pairs and have a new one ready to fit.

I've also bought an old complete boiler to cannibalise for spares - that already had a switch conversion so I'm guessing that problems with the microswitch are common. Mine was caused by an engineer removing the control knob and axle and snapping off the arm that the axle runs through. But I find that I'm much happier controlling the spark myself rather than relying on the electronics.

I can't say how long mine has been converted as I have had the boat less than a year, but I have to say it looks to be an older modification.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I built up the worn cam with a little epoxy putty. Worked perfectly for a week then the arm on the micro switch snapped. I reckon I must have 'adjusted' it with the pliers one too many times. Bought a momentary push switch off ebay and fitted that instead.

Why didnt I just do that in the first place?