Ametech Engine Restore (Lister)

Craigh

Featured Posts

I have recently bought a Lister Petter PH2 W that i intend to fit into my Narrowboat. The engine seems to have a lot of back pressure and is very smokey on tick over. I am thinking of using engine restore. Does anyone have any feedback if this works? Thanks.

I have read about this product and have ordered a bottle off eBay. It says to add a bottle of oil and run for 8 hours? this is the advert Restore engine restorer and lubricant is a unique engine additive that repairs those worn out areas in the cylinder wall thereby restoring cylinder compression and improving engine performance to nearly new original condition. RESTORE is the only product that contains the proprietary CSL formula. This technologically advanced formulation fills in and seals micro leaks in the cylinder wall. the result is increased engine compression and more engine power. Independent lab tests prove that RESTORE really works to increase cylinder compression. Has anyone seen the outcome of this product? Thanks.

Yes, smoky when cold, ran clearer when warmed up. Don't worry Craig, it's normal for that sort of engine - which, by the way, is a Petter, not a Lister Petter.

I have some snakes that have been recently oiled, too...

Eh? What have snakes got to do with this engine?

Oil made from snake skins or summat, I suppose.

How has so much popular culture managed to pass you by?

Snake oil is an expression that originally referred to fraudulent health products or unproven medicine but has come to refer to any product with questionable or unverifiable quality or benefit.

The popular image is the Snake Oil salesman - The Wizard of OZ in his black and white career was one IIRC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil

Don't you dare ask me who the Wizard of Oz is

Richard

RESTORE worked well on a 100K Land Rover Diesel Turbo and cut the smoking a lot but it wasn't a permanent fix - useful for a MoT though.

A cheap answer that will require a follow up of proper work, but worth it in the short term

Grait thanks for the help,although i dont see what the tooth fairy and farther chritmas had to do with a 5 start rated product! Thanks for the usefull help and advice tho

And which well respective independent research/testing organisation rated it five star and exactly what does 5 start indicate?

The adverts for the product that I have seen do the opposite to fill me with confidence in the product, the chap they feature always makes me thing of Mr A Dailey and I always take claims from magazines with something of a pinch of salt bearing in mind advertising revenue may be at risk.

Duckhams Acoids - little waxy yellow cubes that are added to the fuel, Holts Piston Seal that is poured down the plug holes of overheated engines, STP added to oil, and so on. Maybe we could have a competition where we remember other similar "magic potions" that have been supposed to repair engines.

Thanks for all the usefull advise,going to give some advise my self now and say that people should keep there kids off there computer as theres no way a adult would waste there time talking uter sh*t about the wizard of oz and santa on a engine forum? Think they thought they was clever taking the mick but got there eye wiped when smart helpfull people gave there advise! Thanks guys

Edited by Craigh

Thanks for all the usefull advise,going to give some advise my self now and say that people should keep there kids off there computer as theres no way a adult would waste there time talking uter sh*t about the wizard of oz and santa on a engine forum? Think they thought they was clever taking the mick but got there eye wiped when smart helpfull people gave there advise! Thanks guys

I think you craigh or Craigh86 are just advertising the product 8.48 you asking advise - 9.10 you have ordered it then give the sales speel - sorry if wrong but i guss thats why you have the replies you have got, if not welcome to Canal World.

I joined the forum in 2014 when first got the boat and forgot the password so signed up again! No advertising just wanted advise and got told a load of childish fairy tales

There are a lot of people who have smoky engines. The 'proper' solution is to rebuild them, and off the top of my head I guess a rebuild of a PH2 is going to be around £3000. The last PH2 I bought (not watercooled) was £65. So, you can pick them up cheap and maybe people don't have the money to properly restore them. It's the same with cars where a rebuild will be around £1000 and the car cost £200

This means there is a big market for people who can't afford to do the work needed but want a fix. A cheap magic solution that will restore the cylinders, improve compression and do goodness only what else would clearly sell well. Even if it didn't work. No matter how well the adverts speak of it

How does something you put into the fuel put metal back in the bores?

These products are a confidence trick to take money from people hoping for a cheap fix for serious problems with engines

Richard