More trouble at Bittell

pophops

Featured Posts

Sorry, I posted before I'd finished typing. The incident occurred between 12th and 19th of January. Pink paint was thrown at the boat from the other side of the canal. The police have been informed and are appealing for information. This follows other problems at the same location (Search thread yobs drill holes in boats) Sorry, don't know how to post the link.

i don't suppose there is a peculiar design (used to be pale green) boat moored there with no back hatch and a youngish bloke owner? Somehow strange incidents seem to follow his boat and he was seen moored there a year or so ago.

I can't confirm that at the moment but I know the boat and boater you mean. He is certainly a bit strange.
We first came across him about 3-4 years ago. We were on our way into Brum and pulled in at the Bournville visitor moorings, (the 'secure' ones on the offside). His boat was there, (pale green, part painted) and also an old cabin cruiser. He approached us and told us it was OK for us to moor there short term but he had bought the moorings from Cadbury and was expecting a digger to arrive the next day to begin major alterations. I'm afraid to say I believed him and even posted on the Forum the "news" that the moorings had been sold. So when we were coming back past Bournville a few day later we expected to see major changes in progress. There was no sign of any work, just his boat and the old cruiser which was burned out, totally gutted. Odd coincidence that.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Dave1963 said:

Has all the trouble at Bittell calmed down now, and the person described above moved on?.......we have been looking at mooring there, that is till i saw this post.

I don't know, but did you notice it was 3 years ago? 

PS. If you resurrect any posts from the 1970s about power cuts, that's not something to worry about now. ;)

59 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I don't know, but did you notice it was 3 years ago? 

PS. If you resurrect any posts from the 1970s about power cuts, that's not something to worry about now. ;)

May get some power cuts soon if we don't build any new base load power stations. One good high pressure in January, very cold weather, no wind and long dark nights, now where do we get our electricity from? I's cold and dark in the rest of Europe as well so they are not likely to sell us any.

It somewhat depends on what is mean by 'the internet'. The first fully functional wide are network is usually said to be ARPANET which began life in the late 60's. X25 came in a similar time frame but TCP/IP overtook it in popularity (money talks louder than logic!) . It was a much more 'hard-wired' approach back then with specific applications using the packet technology to send data over telephonic links.

In Europe especially, the main impetus was for email to enable communication between researchers working collaboratively on large projects with teams in many countries.

Many people think that internet = WWW but it was not until around 1992  before that latter became available and turned the internet into a repository of information as much as a means of communication.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

It somewhat depends on what is mean by 'the internet'. The first fully functional wide are network is usually said to be ARPANET which began life in the late 60's. X25 came in a similar time frame but TCP/IP overtook it in popularity (money talks louder than logic!) . It was a much more 'hard-wired' approach back then with specific applications using the packet technology to send data over telephonic links.

In Europe especially, the main impetus was for email to enable communication between researchers working collaboratively on large projects with teams in many countries.

Many people think that internet = WWW but it was not until around 1992  before that latter became available and turned the internet into a repository of information as much as a means of communication.

And unfortunately give a platform to gross misinformation and kids don't get vaccinated. But we are where we are.

11 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

And unfortunately give a platform to gross misinformation and kids don't get vaccinated. But we are where we are.

But the use of misinformation, both deliberate and accidental, is far from new - it as been a part of warfare for as long as history is available. (The Trojan Horse was a form of fake news!)

The arrival of cheap and fast air travel meant that diseases spread further and quicker and the internet similarly allows misinformation (bad news always spreads quicker than good, for some reason) to reach places that hitherto it would not, just because it attenuates with distance. Now there are few places on the earth where internet (mis)information does not reach.

17 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

The first fully functional wide are network is usually said to be ARPANET

Which, as it became self-aware, lead directly to the rise of the machines and a time-travelling Austrian body builder and state governor. 

• Greenie 2