River Wey

jenlyn

Featured Posts

We are thinking of having a trip on the Wey this year. Anyone done it with a widebeam (10ft)?

The bumf says we will be ok, but it would be good to get any personal experiences.

That's weird, it's just been on the telly, Great canal journeys.

Looks brilliant.

That's weird, it's just been on the telly, Great canal journeys.

Looks brilliant.

Yeh we saw it first time around and liked it. Just watched it again and decided perhaps we should do a trip their.

The longest visitor licence is 21 days, and I don't know if that will be long enough to explore.

I'm wandering if they would sell me two lots of 21 days.

Once you get away from the ever present M25 it's quite nice and pretty. Because it's owned by the NT tree huggers and protection of the lesser-bladderwort group take precedence, so the channel is very much U-shaped, meaning that there are few unofficial places to moor. Quite twisty in places and even us in a 60foot NB got stuck on occasion, though it's straightforward to slip off the mud...

The lock paddles are heavy to work thanks to the lockgear being designed 'sounds like' an Italian ice cream manufacturer (house joke) (If Vince is still around, sorry, 'cos he was a first class person).

We were there for four years and loved the location - but getting on to the Thames became a pain as the exit low was only open 9-6 with a break for lunch.

Apart from that folks love it - so I'm in a minority - it is nice and rural. Some pubs and a Waitrose a warp's length away at Godalming. Fraffly posh doncha know in the expensive part of Surrey....

Yeh we saw it first time around and liked it. Just watched it again and decided perhaps we should do a trip their.

The longest visitor licence is 21 days, and I don't know if that will be long enough to explore.

I'm wandering if they would sell me two lots of 21 days.

There is not that much to see up there, 3 weeks should be loads of time

Once you get away from the ever present M25 it's quite nice and pretty. Because it's owned by the NT tree huggers and protection of the lesser-bladderwort group take precedence, so the channel is very much U-shaped, meaning that there are few unofficial places to moor. Quite twisty in places and even us in a 60foot NB got stuck on occasion, though it's straightforward to slip off the mud...

The lock paddles are heavy to work thanks to the lockgear being designed 'sounds like' an Italian ice cream manufacturer (house joke) (If Vince is still around, sorry, 'cos he was a first class person).

We were there for four years and loved the location - but getting on to the Thames became a pain as the exit low was only open 9-6 with a break for lunch.

Apart from that folks love it - so I'm in a minority - it is nice and rural. Some pubs and a Waitrose a warp's length away at Godalming. Fraffly posh doncha know in the expensive part of Surrey....

Has to be worth a pootle then.

There was a fat hotel boat plying the Wey this, sorry, last year. he seemed to mange ok, but i think he did have a few problems with Shalford road bridge!

21 days is enough, you can do the bottom to top in a long day, but two is comfy and three is better!

Guildford is good and so is Godalming,

Wind at Godalming by pointing into the stream and back into the corner to let the stream push the bow around.

Prepare to pay Surrey rates on everything! Fuel is expensive, especially at Farncombe boat house.

Going uphill the locks are exiting, use the yellow pin by the back gate to tie to, they have lots of lifted gates every year because some think they can do it without looping a line around one. Going down hill the locks are pussycats!

Just watch the weather as the river can get exiting after a heavy fall of rain!

Be prepared to meet hire boats coming down with the stream, there are lots of them!

Have fun!

Been along it with an 11` 4" x 33` tug, no problems except with the height, bridges are very low so we had the wheelhouse down all the time (and yes, it rained) its very pretty, we only went a bit past Guildford due to time constraints. It would need care with a long boat but its worth it. A week is enough really. Never noticed the yellow pin on the locks but they are turbulent going uphill.

Took Parglena (50'x11'6"at that time) to Godalming, no problems at all apart from air draft at Broadford Bridge, fine going upstream, river came up 4" overnight it was very tight coming back.

Found a few shallow spots near Byfleet Boat Club in tha canalised bit but then PG draws 3'

Bel and the Dragon in Godalming is/was a good place to eat.

Maybe going back this year in the NB

There was a fat hotel boat plying the Wey this, sorry, last year. he seemed to mange ok, but i think he did have a few problems with Shalford road bridge!

That's Broadford Bridge - the yellow bins are called barge pins.

All information on the Navigation is here - https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/river-wey-and-godalming-navigations-and-dapdune-wharf/documents/download-our-guidance-for-boat-users.pdf

Been along it with an 11` 4" x 33` tug, no problems except with the height, bridges are very low so we had the wheelhouse down all the time (and yes, it rained) its very pretty, we only went a bit past Guildford due to time constraints. It would need care with a long boat but its worth it. A week is enough really. Never noticed the yellow pin on the locks but they are turbulent going uphill.

The Lockie at Weybridge will make sure you have a line around that yellow, or is it white, pin before she works the lock.

The rangers have this uncanny knack of turning up when your trying to go through the top gates without opening one, and when you hold the boat on the engine going up hill!i!

But all in all, it's pretty river with low bridges,

The one at Shalford is the lowest, but as your approaching from down stream, you have the advantage of going very very slow up to it. Going downstream is ok unless it has rained.

You are referring to Mr Locatelli and has gone. Best days work the National Trust have ever done was getting rid of him

We did the Wey in 2013. The first few locks were shall we say, challenging! Rather fierce, but soon got the hang of them, sort of!

A beautiful area and thanks to the NT, kept at its very best. We did it in a week and apart from the rather low bridge just prior to Godalming,we had no problems.(Our air draft is 6'2").

Liked it so much, we hope to return this summer. Hope the Turkish barbers remains in business at Godalming. Best haircut ever.

The Wey is very nice, but I fear that you might find six weeks too long - even if the Weybridge lockkeeper is able to sell two 3-week visitor licences. While you're "down our wey" why not try the Basingstoke too? It can be done in a week, but I know that they issue longer licences as NB Epiphany spent a month there late in 2014. But the Basingstoke bridges (three in particular near Fleet) are lower than the Wey.

Some useful points about the Wey:

1. Borrow a couple of Wey windlasses from Thames Lock. Normal BW windlasses are the wrong size (so could damage the winding gear) and you will need a longer handle.

2. Enjoy flexible mooring towpath side except where marked no mooring - there are numerous places to moor ranging from town centre to a remote meadow. Remember that you cannot leave a boat unattended overnight.

3. Pyrford diesel is reasonably priced. Water and Elsan disposal are free. Farncombe diesel is more expensive, and they charge a modest fee for water and Elsan disposal.

4. There are not many water taps, and fewer Elsan disposal points. Pumpouts are at Pyrford and Farncombe.

5. Most locks have fierce gate paddles, and front/back ropes are essential going uphill. Open the paddle on the same side as the boat initially, to keep it close to the lock wall. Switch engine off in locks.

6. Lock gates can be left open as you exit - whether going up or down. Both gates must be opened, but you'll have to do that with a WB anyway.

You won't be unpopular in a WB - there is sufficient width on most stretches for boats to pass each other. Queues at locks are very rare. It's a relaxed and friendly place to be - have fun.

M

The Wey is very nice, but I fear that you might find six weeks too long - even if the Weybridge lockkeeper is able to sell two 3-week visitor licences. While you're "down our wey" why not try the Basingstoke too? It can be done in a week, but I know that they issue longer licences as NB Epiphany spent a month there late in 2014. But the Basingstoke bridges (three in particular near Fleet) are lower than the Wey.

Some useful points about the Wey:

1. Borrow a couple of Wey windlasses from Thames Lock. Normal BW windlasses are the wrong size (so could damage the winding gear) and you will need a longer handle.

2. Enjoy flexible mooring towpath side except where marked no mooring - there are numerous places to moor ranging from town centre to a remote meadow. Remember that you cannot leave a boat unattended overnight.

3. Pyrford diesel is reasonably priced. Water and Elsan disposal are free. Farncombe diesel is more expensive, and they charge a modest fee for water and Elsan disposal.

4. There are not many water taps, and fewer Elsan disposal points. Pumpouts are at Pyrford and Farncombe.

5. Most locks have fierce gate paddles, and front/back ropes are essential going uphill. Open the paddle on the same side as the boat initially, to keep it close to the lock wall. Switch engine off in locks.

6. Lock gates can be left open as you exit - whether going up or down. Both gates must be opened, but you'll have to do that with a WB anyway.

You won't be unpopular in a WB - there is sufficient width on most stretches for boats to pass each other. Queues at locks are very rare. It's a relaxed and friendly place to be - have fun.

M

Thank you.

I was up there middle of last year, our widebeam 60 X 11, brought a 7day licence (£77 and there is a discount if you are a member of NT). The bankside near Pyrford is very sandy so sometimes your pins get pulled out by passing boat, good food at The Anchor Inn.

Stopped at the Rowbarge just before Guilford, did not think much of the food but good beer and good moorings.

It can be very slow going in places due to depth and width but well worth the trip.The lowest bridge is called Broadford Bridge 6ft4in headroom up near Shalford, your will find a height gauge before bridge on left hand side.

Well worth the trip with no real problems. I was told that there is a horse drawn trip boat up at Godalming so don’t have anything on top of boat.

I'm struggling with this concept of the "expensive part of Surrey", I think it's all a bit relative. Surrey doesn't have cheap parts, the least expensive bit being Croydon, where £250,000 will no longer buy a small 3-bed terraced house. Do that search on Rightmove for the whole of Surrey and all you'll see is a handful of park homes and auction properties.

Southerners, and Surrey people in particular, are not so much snobby as reluctant to start a conversation with a stranger unless there's a particular reason.

It's not quite the same thing, and we're friendly when you get to know us, but getting to know us is difficult because of the above. More so on public transport, and especially on the London Underground. When I'm out on the canals I make the effort to say hello and talk to people; I like this but it still feels a bit weird.

Just to wander a bit off topic, the Wey is lovely and if you are down that way and have plenty of time the Basingstoke is beautiful too, but there are some low bridges at Farnborough and Fleet, from memory much the same as the one at Shalford on the Wey that you would need to check out - they are a bit lower than the Shalford bridge I think; we are about 6 ft air draft and just got through the Basingstoke low bridges. Nicholson indicates 6' 0" for the lowest Wey bridge and 5' 9" on the Basingstoke.

Mick

Edited by zodiak

I'm struggling with this concept of the "expensive part of Surrey", I think it's all a bit relative. Surrey doesn't have cheap parts, the least expensive bit being Croydon, where £250,000 will no longer buy a small 3-bed terraced house. Do that search on Rightmove for the whole of Surrey and all you'll see is a handful of park homes and auction properties.

Southerners, and Surrey people in particular, are not so much snobby as reluctant to start a conversation with a stranger unless there's a particular reason.

It's not quite the same thing, and we're friendly when you get to know us, but getting to know us is difficult because of the above. More so on public transport, and especially on the London Underground. When I'm out on the canals I make the effort to say hello and talk to people; I like this but it still feels a bit weird.

Croydon has not been in Surrey since 1965. It was a good day for Surrey as the crime rate went down by 80%