30hp twin cylinder Sabb - any info please?

MtB

Featured Posts

This one has a 2:1 reduction transmission, and I'm trying to establish the following, if anyone here knows:

Direction of rotation of the shaft?

Engine bed dimensions (or better, an installation drawing).

And if anyone here actually has one, what diameter and pitch blade do you have please? And is it on a 1½" shaft or 2"?

Many thanks...

Have 2JHR sat in my unit and due to fit it hopefully soon in my own boat.

If it has a Hurth box on it it wants a Right hand prop- mines going onto a 1 1/2 " shaft and have not long ago bought a 20 x 16 prop.Engine manual, prop calc and Norris's came up with similar size. Crowthers did suggest a 23 inch by ?? initially as being the ideal but I only have room for 20 inch.

Engine bed wise the bearers need to be internally approx 12 1/2 inches apart and approx 1 inch above the centre of propshaft - the whole engine including the gearbox is 1 metre long.

Dont think there is a drawing in the manual but have loads of dimensions, photos etc if you need any more info. Manuals / parts lists online - will have the links to them somewhere but on moby at moment .

Edited by PaulJ

This one has a 2:1 reduction transmission, and I'm trying to establish the following, if anyone here knows:

Direction of rotation of the shaft?

Engine bed dimensions (or better, an installation drawing).

And if anyone here actually has one, what diameter and pitch blade do you have please? And is it on a 1½" shaft or 2"?

Many thanks...

Your going for another engine change?

Engine bed wise the bearers need to be internally approx 12 1/2 inches apart and approx 1 inch above the centre of propshaft - the whole engine including the gearbox is 1 metre long.

I love how we British of a certain age happily mix Imperial and Metric like that, depending on which is easiest.

I love how we British of a certain age happily mix Imperial and Metric like that, depending on which is easiest.

Model railway enthusiasts have been doing it for over half a century: none of us thought it strange when we were told that 00 scale was 4 millimetres to the foot.

I tend to visualise in imperial but measure in metric. Although a stick plus a few mm is always a valid measurement :-)

So come on Mtb- have you got a Sabb 2J or just thinking about it ? They are a great grunty engine with a good sound and as the only other person Ive come across who may or may not own one, you have my interest.

Would this also be a low hours ex lifeboat engine perchance?

Didn't the wood yards start the mixed unit trend by selling for example 3 x 2" wood by the metre, although I can see why given the investement in imperial machining equipment.

Even in European countries that have embraced the metric system far longer than us, imperial sizes are still used. I remember my business selling Brembo (Italian) brake discs which had the mount holes spec'd on a nice round PCD size of 101.5mm which just happens to equal 4 inches.

What engines were fitted to Field Marshall tractors? They were single-cylinder and emitted a most pleasing tunc-tunc sound. A look at Wikipaedia reveals that they were 6-litre single-pot jobs - can this be right? - but does not make it clear whether they were an in house Marshall product or someone else's.

Edited by Athy

Hi guys & girls new to the forum but been lurking for a while! First post so here goes, I am a fan of the sabb two cylinder engines and am currently doing a complete rebuild on a 2G to be fitted in a new build 57ft trad I also have a 2J engine, as Paul said theres lots of info on line the sabb site has parts books and user manuals with engine bed drawings and dimensions, Crowthers recommended a 20"x14" for my 2G sabb manual states 20"x15" for 2G and 20"x16" for 2J. Various gearboxes are fitted to sabb engines and some run LH and some RH. I am fitting a prm 260 to my 2G,parts availability is pretty good but very expensive Sleeman&hawken I have found to be very helpful some useful info on their website too regarding identifying which gearbox you have, good luck Mike. Also being of a certain age and in the timber trade we come across metric and imperial mixed on a daily basis, plus requests for a piece of wood as long as this piece string/wool/cotton or completely made up measurements that don't even exist.

I hadnt come across engine bed dimensions anywhere - do you read norwegian :-D-any idea whereabouts I might find that or could you email it to me- not vital as have already measured off the engine but very interested to see it.

How comes you using the 2 G and not 2J ?

Really looking forward to getting mine in and running- great engines.

Hi Paul no sadly cant read Norwegian but you can read between the lines and translate what you need, sadly google translate doesn't work on sabbs pdf files, engine beds drawings and dimensions on sabb site look for pdf bruksanvisning 2g og 2j 977040 don't know how to post a link sorry better on engines than computers! Let me know if you cant find it, decided to fit 2G as I like them, I have a 2J as well so can always fit that if I need more power! What boat are you fitting your 2J into?

Thanks for pointer Rob18. Had just found it on the Sabb site. I hadnt realised it was in the norwegian manual and wasnt included in the english version.

2J is going into a 50 ft trad - would have liked to have it in engine room but have no room so will be in the stern.I got it cos I loved the simplicity and sound of it so will be hearing plenty of it though must admit I was originally looking for a 2G :-)

There is another member on here with 2G in I think a 57ft- look on you tube for narrowboat Bullfinch.

seeing Bullfinch on youtube nice boat! and the owners posts on the forum were part of the reason for choosing the 2G in the first place, he seems to get on ok with it! My 2G is currently down to bare crankcase but parts have now arrived so can start re assembling.

The engines going into a new boat so I figured do it now & it will good for long time, according to sleeman&hawken I got the last front & rear main bearings available from Norway and they are now obsolete! don't know if that's true but hopefully I wont need any more!

What engines were fitted to Field Marshall tractors? They were single-cylinder and emitted a most pleasing tunc-tunc sound. A look at Wikipaedia reveals that they were 6-litre single-pot jobs - can this be right? - but does not make it clear whether they were an in house Marshall product or someone else's.

Not really sure but think they they were in house, although they are very similar to some of the Lanz 1 pot tractor power units &Lanz ( I think ) have been manufactured since the early 1920's The one pot 25 hp Seffle semi diesel I had in my boat had a decent exhaust note

Yes I was also surprised at their capacity although given the inefficiences of 2 stroke diesels, probably needed. Earlier Marshall models used a single cylinder engine of over 8 litres but were not semi-diesels like the Lanz.

Loved the cartridge start option fired with a hammer. Almost certainly an in house engine given the huge numbers made of this iconic tractor, with several present at our local boxing day meet just outside East Harling.

Thanks for all the information everyone. Much appreciated.

It's not necessarily for Reginald, but a possibility. I haven't actually bought it.

Given the people supposedly casting the new white metal bearing for the Skandia have let us down (they promised to supply it by last xmas), and are now making no commitments on delivery at all, I have to consider what to do about it. Given the sheer noise of the exhaust and the uncertainty about whether it can be fixed, along with the bearing problem, I'm looking at all options. I want to use the boat!

I tend to visualise in imperial but measure in metric. Although a stick plus a few mm is always a valid measurement :-)

So come on Mtb- have you got a Sabb 2J or just thinking about it ? They are a great grunty engine with a good sound and as the only other person Ive come across who may or may not own one, you have my interest.

Would this also be a low hours ex lifeboat engine perchance?

Yes sorry should have said in the first place, a 2JHR same as yours!

Thanks for all the information everyone. Much appreciated.

It's not necessarily for Reginald, but a possibility. I haven't actually bought it.

Given the people supposedly casting the new white metal bearing for the Skandia have let us down (they promised to supply it by last xmas), and are now making no commitments on delivery at all, I have to consider what to do about it. Given the sheer noise of the exhaust and the uncertainty about whether it can be fixed, along with the bearing problem, I'm looking at all options. I want to use the boat!

Think I see the offending (rather large) bit at Primrose a bit before Xmas? Become a bit of a nightmare then.

One thing I will say about the Sabb's is they have a very civilised exhaust note ! - even running mine with no pipe on it is not particulary noisy.