Llanymynech Canal

Heartland

Featured Posts

I am curious how much more remains to reunite the un-navigable sections of the Shropshire Union route from Frankton Junction to Welshpool. Over time more and more has been put into use. After so more sterling restoration work the closed part deserves attention.

Ray Shill

I am curious how much more remains to reunite the un-navigable sections of the Shropshire Union route from Frankton Junction to Welshpool. Over time more and more has been put into use. After so more sterling restoration work the closed part deserves attention.

Ray Shill

The Montgomery canal is still afflicted by Powys County Council with bridges that cannot be rebuilt easily. Its become a non starter in my eyes and is now arguably in worse condition than when I first saw it in 1972. Then there was a trip boat in Welshpool and that at one time was accompanied by a small hire fleet, now all that has gone and the canal is very overgrown.

An interesting waterway but with serious long term conditions.

The Montgomery canal is still afflicted by Powys County Council with bridges that cannot be rebuilt easily. Its become a non starter in my eyes and is now arguably in worse condition than when I first saw it in 1972. Then there was a trip boat in Welshpool and that at one time was accompanied by a small hire fleet, now all that has gone and the canal is very overgrown.

Thankfully it isn't your eyes that count as I'd argue your statement on the cana'ls condition is fallacious, since 1972 two major road crossings have been reinstated and ALL the CRT owned locks have been restored.

That said, there is little doubt that restoration has stalled and despite an enormous amount of behind the scenes work it doesn't look like restarting any time soon. Blame Peter Walker, SoS for Wales 87-90, who turned down money that the EU offered to restore it in full.

• Greenie 1

And when did you last actually come up here and see the canal?

And when did you last actually come up here and see the canal?

Had a good look when we removed "Effingham" a few years ago and had a visit in Autumn last year, I was shocked at the condition some parts were in near Welshpool in particular.

In my opinion parts of,the" Montgomery Canal"are in better condition than some fully navigable canals,The towpath is in exellent condition generaly,the Newtown to Berriew section has recently been upgraded .I have only been as far as Gronwen Wharf so far in the boat. As soon as the section to Crickheath Wharf is opened I will be back. I agree that the Welshpool section is underused,appart from the Heulwen boats .However,it is a most attractive walk.and a great asset to Welshpool .I believe that part of the problem is that a lot of the canal is in Powys .Any invoice for more than small change is likely to be more than Powys County Council can manage. The whole canal is a treasure to be enjoyed by walkers,fishermen,canoeists and in part by narrow boats.As has been said,all the locks up to the feeder are fully operational.I think Cart should have great credit for the standard of maintenance of all the bits that they control.

It is clear that the Montgomery(shire) Canal and the Llanymynech Branch of the Ellesmere Canal continue to receive restoration attention and the Shropshire Union Canal Society steadily restores short lengths to navigation. If a concerted effort is made then it should be possible to reunite the Welshpool section with the main national network. This waterway offers remarkable scenery and could well be another jewel in the waterways crown.

When these waterways were made water supply was an issue, yet with time the making of the Tanat feeder and the feeder from the Severn solved this issue. The locks that descend to the low point before ascending again to Carreghofa require a decent supply of water. It was clear that this was achieved with the supply from the Severn as Welshpool had a water mill beside the lock there that used the flow of the canal water to drive the water wheel!

At the current rate of progress, it will be a few years yet before this link is finished. It would be nice to think that more can be done. Whether it can be achieved through political assistance or a greater effort from the IWA remains to be seen. .

And, if there was a fantasy world then the CRT might also help, but as this is a real need, their help may not be forth coming

Ray Shill

• 3 weeks later...

Those involved in the continued restoration is still chiefly in the hands of the Shropshire Union Canal Society. If I read the WRG website correctly they have no camps on this waterway in 2016. If a concerted push is made the link from Crickheath to Llanymynech could be completed and with it a long length of waterway united with the main network!

• 2 weeks later...

If the canal was left as it was then it would slowly degrade, become impassible for walkers and return to nature, like other disused waterways. When the restoration is completed boaters will be able to access another scenic section of the network. It will be some thing to be proud of, not to hide.

Ray Shill

Those on foot have a network of paths, bridleways and byways amounting to in excess of 140,000 miles available to them, and that's not counting National Parks and Scotland - or towing paths. Not by any water? We live on an Island and are surrounded by Sea.

Could do without the excessive signage though.

Ray Shill

How much more what? Obstacles? 2 miles and 4 furlongs of dry canal, and 4 dropped bridges. Money? Plenty. Time? No-one knows!

I wouldn't say it's very overgrown. I would say it's consistent with a very low traffic canal!

Thankfully it isn't your eyes that count as I'd argue your statement on the cana'ls condition is fallacious, since 1972 two major road crossings have been reinstated and ALL the CRT owned locks have been restored.

That said, there is little doubt that restoration has stalled and despite an enormous amount of behind the scenes work it doesn't look like restarting any time soon. Blame Peter Walker, SoS for Wales 87-90, who turned down money that the EU offered to restore it in full.

Which 2 road bridges? The A5 at Queen's Head and the A483 at Llanymynech?

In my opinion parts of,the" Montgomery Canal"are in better condition than some fully navigable canals,The towpath is in exellent condition generaly,the Newtown to Berriew section has recently been upgraded .I have only been as far as Gronwen Wharf so far in the boat. As soon as the section to Crickheath Wharf is opened I will be back. I agree that the Welshpool section is underused,appart from the Heulwen boats .However,it is a most attractive walk.and a great asset to Welshpool .I believe that part of the problem is that a lot of the canal is in Powys .Any invoice for more than small change is likely to be more than Powys County Council can manage. The whole canal is a treasure to be enjoyed by walkers,fishermen,canoeists and in part by narrow boats.As has been said,all the locks up to the feeder are fully operational.I think Cart should have great credit for the standard of maintenance of all the bits that they control.

The towpath is great, and easily walkable right up until the last mile or two before Newtown.

My understanding is that Powys will only really consider restoration or replacement of bridges once the canal is navigable as far as Powys. I can see their point.

It is clear that the Montgomery(shire) Canal and the Llanymynech Branch of the Ellesmere Canal continue to receive restoration attention and the Shropshire Union Canal Society steadily restores short lengths to navigation. If a concerted effort is made then it should be possible to reunite the Welshpool section with the main national network. This waterway offers remarkable scenery and could well be another jewel in the waterways crown.

When these waterways were made water supply was an issue, yet with time the making of the Tanat feeder and the feeder from the Severn solved this issue. The locks that descend to the low point before ascending again to Carreghofa require a decent supply of water. It was clear that this was achieved with the supply from the Severn as Welshpool had a water mill beside the lock there that used the flow of the canal water to drive the water wheel!

At the current rate of progress, it will be a few years yet before this link is finished. It would be nice to think that more can be done. Whether it can be achieved through political assistance or a greater effort from the IWA remains to be seen. .

And, if there was a fantasy world then the CRT might also help, but as this is a real need, their help may not be forth coming

Ray Shill

At the current rate "a few years" is generous! However, progress continues to be made. The quarter-mile section from Redwith Bridge to Price's Bridge took years. The next half-mile section from Price's Bridge to Crickheath Wharf looks quite technically challenging (to my untrained eye). As far as I'm aware CRT do provide help, in terms of materials. After all, it's their canal!

Those involved in the continued restoration is still chiefly in the hands of the Shropshire Union Canal Society. If I read the WRG website correctly they have no camps on this waterway in 2016. If a concerted push is made the link from Crickheath to Llanymynech could be completed and with it a long length of waterway united with the main network!

WRG came a few years ago and worked on the Price's Bridge to Crickheath section. I think they encountered unexpected difficulties (such as a broken culvert).

To be quite honest, the restoration beyond Welshpool would be very difficult. There are numerous crossings of the A483 between there and Newtown and nearly all of them would need drastic rebuilding and raising of the road level to allow navigable headroom.

If Charlies could be persuaded to build a small mooring and winding hole by Coed yr Dinas that would be useful, as it would give them trade and is convenient for Powys Castle.

There is certainly a dropped bridge at the end of the section now being worked on. However,it is a minor road well above the level of the canal, Maybe the origional bridge still exists under the fill? The infilled bridge for the old railway should not be a problem,as the railway was lifted over 50 years ago.This would bring the navigable section to LLanymynech.almost to the end of the Llanymynech Branch. A causway built alongside a still existing bridge and a bridge which Powys C.C.have pledged to replace if the canal is restored to here brings the canal to Four Crosses. Two Major road crossings then prevent the navigable section from reaching the Welshpool section,just before the junction with the Guilsfield Branch.The Welshpool navigable section actualy extends to Refail,just short of the end of the Eastern Branch at Garthmyl.The towpath throughout is in good to exellent condition appart from a section near Cricheath which is in average condition.

Can I recommend Petes Montgomery Canal Photo site

To be quite honest, the restoration beyond Welshpool would be very difficult. There are numerous crossings of the A483 between there and Newtown and nearly all of them would need drastic rebuilding and raising of the road level to allow navigable headroom.

Being a pedant, I think you mean restoration south of Berriew, the canal is already navigable from Welshpool to Berriew (and from Arddleen north of Weslhpool)

ETA - this thread is making me want to visit the Mont again... I've cruised nearly all of it and walked the rest

Edited by magpie patrick

Got to go to the Pet Food warehouse at Garthmyl next week, which happens to be in the old canal warehouse, so I'll see how many bridges between there and Newtown need replacing. CaRT were working on the lock by the A483 in that section not long ago.

Being a pedant, I think you mean restoration south of Berriew, the canal is already navigable from Welshpool to Berriew (and from Arddleen north of Weslhpool)

ETA - this thread is making me want to visit the Mont again... I've cruised nearly all of it and walked the rest

Not quite MP.

The canal is navigable from Welshpool town centre to just before Coed yr Dinas, but the old navigable bridge on the A458, by the Red Lane junction is too low to be passed through.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.646486,-3.1504203,489m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Aside, that shot seems to show the canal has been diverted there at some stage.

Come on up and I'll buy you a beer!

Not quite MP.

The canal is navigable from Welshpool town centre to just before Coed yr Dinas, but the old navigable bridge on the A458, by the Red Lane junction is too low to be passed through.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.646486,-3.1504203,489m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Aside, that shot seems to show the canal has been diverted there at some stage.

That bridge is navigable - I've taken a narrow boat under it and thence to Berriew Aqueduct, up Belan locks and three other locks that I now can't remember the names of. I was part of the design team for it, that would be about 25 years ago?

The diversion was to allow a crossing at the point where the road could be raised - red lane now joins at the crest of the hill, with visibility down both sides.

There is no doubt it's low, highway constraints kept it to about 6 feet clearance, but the boat I took under was a standard Anglo-Welsh Hire Boat. It didn't have coal, or bikes, or indeed anything on the roof, and if you had these things stored there they would have to come off, but it is passable

welshpool.png

This is a screen shot from your link - the old route of the canal comes south (down the picture) on the east side of the A458, the new route goes under near Red Lane and the words "Bow Wow Wow) and comes south on the west side of the A458

Now that's an offer that can't be refused!

That bridge is navigable - I've taken a narrow boat under it and thence to Berriew Aqueduct, up Belan locks and three other locks that I now can't remember the names of. I was part of the design team for it, that would be about 25 years ago?

The diversion was to allow a crossing at the point where the road could be raised - red lane now joins at the crest of the hill, with visibility down both sides.

There is no doubt it's low, highway constraints kept it to about 6 feet clearance, but the boat I took under was a standard Anglo-Welsh Hire Boat. It didn't have coal, or bikes, or indeed anything on the roof, and if you had these things stored there they would have to come off, but it is passable

attachicon.gifwelshpool.png

This is a screen shot from your link - the old route of the canal comes south (down the picture) on the east side of the A458, the new route goes under near Red Lane and the words "Bow Wow Wow) and comes south on the west side of the A458

Now that's an offer that can't be refused!

My apologies then. I've been over that bridge loads of times and looking at it from the road I never realised it was navigable!!

Beers on me in recompense, perhaps when I'm down at my son's in Frome, or up here.

Edited by Graham Davis
  • Greenie 1

Gronwen Wharf is the last winding point on the section connected to the system .I have not been past there in a boat,but we winded there (50ft) no problem .Cant see why a 70ft boat would have a problem .Last time I walked it stop planks were in place under the Knockin road bridge. Will pop down to see if they are still in .Otherwise,a bit of reversing needed .No problem for members of this forum. The Welshpool navigable section extends to REFAIL where there is a winding point for full length boats.The warehouse at Garthmyl was origionaly a maltings. The metal frame thing which was something to do with the malting process,was still round the side,last time I looked.

Interesting. Old Mr Crowe told me that his Garthmyl premises were originally the canal warehouse. I did think it was a funny place to have a warehouse since there didn't seem to be a quay there.

I understand that The Nags Head used to belong to BWB.

Garthmyl was the terminus of the canal for about 25 years(from memory) until the Western Branch was built.to Newtown.The road works have eliminated most of it .Lord Carlisle encouraged B.W.B.to purchase the Nags Head Pub when they were in their pub buying phase.It was a financial disaster.Dont know why,as it used to be a popular pub.