Live aboarders

dogless

Featured Posts

27th year this year and still our first choice for living. We found the first twenty years the hardest laugh.png We have at times owned houses as well but usualy lived on the boat with ocasional visits/ holidays to the house. We ended up not using the house enough so binned it in 2007. We are concerned about when we get old as my mum who visits us now struggles with the locks but has no problem getting on and off the boat etc...........mum is 95.

Tim

Pah, Newbies.!

43 years on May fifth 2016.

CT

Edited by cereal tiller

44 years of almost 365/24hours/day with an occasional 14 days holiday of the boat.

Never had a house or appartment so far and don't think that that is likely to happen in a hurry.

If health and funds permit it, I may convert a van to do some stealth camping while travelling to places that I can't (reasonably) go to by boat.

Peter.

Pah, Newbies.!

43 years on May fifth 2016.

CT

44 years of almost 365/24hours/day with an occasional 14 days holiday of the boat.

Peter.

Looks like you two win hands down ! To stay onboard that long I'm going to have to be well into my nineties.

Having said that, we enjoy the boat as much today as we did when new to it. Actually more now. We've encountered and usually overcome the many obstacles and pitfalls. You start to take things more in your stride as time goes by.

May we all enjoy many more healthy happy years of boating, however we do it.

Cue a drink ;)

Rog

Coming up for 14 years. I have a mooring and don't do much cruising compared to others (re. OP), but I'm not sure what that's got to do with anything? I work in one place and CCing wouldn't really be possible. Having a mooring doesn't mean one has given up living aboard. CCing and living aboard are two different things.

Edited by blackrose

3 months aboard and loving it so far , was always what we wanted to do so dont see us going back on land , I never felt right in a house to be honest must have been a sailor in a previous life .

FYI there is a liveaboard couple on marina near us she is 101 and he is 98 .. still going strong although they dont cruise anymore and are frail , everyone keeps an eye on them

Hoping that is near Aylesbury?

Coming up for 14 years. I have a mooring and don't do much cruising compared to others (re. OP), but I'm not sure what that's got to do with anything? I work in one place and CCing wouldn't really be possible. Having a mooring doesn't mean one has given up living aboard. CCing and living aboard are two different things.

I thought living aboard and spending some time on a boat but going back to a house for days/weeks/months were two different things too?

Doesn't being a liveaboard mean it's your home (i.e. you live on it as opposed to stay on it) - whatever you choose to do with it?

Edited by metanoia

I did say live aboard either cruising or on a mooring, full or part time. We've all been bitten by the same bug in different forms.

I don't see it in any hierarchical scale.

Just idle curiosity on a quiet icey mooring.

From all the answers so far it would appear there is little hope for a cure from the boaty bug.

Rog

I thought living aboard and spending some time on a boat but going back to a house for days/weeks/months were two different things too?

Doesn't being a liveaboard mean it's your home (i.e. you live on it as opposed to stay on it) - whatever you choose to do with it?

Yes, I think living aboard means it's your permanent home all year round, not that you go back to a house when it suits.

I did say live aboard either cruising or on a mooring, full or part time. We've all been bitten by the same bug in different forms.

I don't see it in any hierarchical scale.

I didn't see the bit where you said either cruising or on a mooring in your original post? it just came across that you thought those with moorings were losing interest. Perhaps just the way I'm reading it.

"Over the years we have met a number of live aboards who seem to sell up and move on to other things after 2 to 4 years. We've also noticed that a number take a mooring, and then subsequently do very little cruising. We'd assumed our interest would wane, and by now we'd have moved on."

Edited by blackrose

We're just coming up to 3 years. We bought an older boat so managed to keep the house in case we didn't take to life afloat. We rent it out and the income has helped allow us to retire early. We love life afloat so much I can't see us ever going back to live there.

We're marina based because the wife likes to have a base, but we do go out for weeks and sometimes months on end. I'd love to CC all year round but the misses doesn't so I can't see this happening.

Nearly seven years for us.

As young (ish) boaters, I'm increasingly feeling the pressure to buy some bricks, so this year or next may see us moving onto land. However, we are consoling ourselves with the idea that in a couple of years' time we can rent out the landhouse and move back onto the water. I don't think the waterways will have seen the back of us!!

I have a home mooring too on a riverbank, nice and quiet, no shore power and water connections.I haven't had the chance to do much cruising for the last couple of years, mainly due to health and money problems, hope to be able to do some more this year.The many years onboard in my case are because it was my living, and because I don't like bricks and morter, this isn't likely to changePeter. Edited by bargemast

Nearly seven years for us.

As young (ish) boaters, I'm increasingly feeling the pressure to buy some bricks, so this year or next may see us moving onto land. However, we are consoling ourselves with the idea that in a couple of years' time we can rent out the landhouse and move back onto the water. I don't think the waterways will have seen the back of us!!

People in this country don't feel secure unless they own (land-based) property. It's so ingrained in the culture. I suffer from it too sometimes and am filled with regrets for not buying property years ago when I could afford it. However, I think security is one of those elusive things that a Buddhist monk might tell us is unattainable, and I think a mortgage is probably just another route to more worry. Anyway, I'm sure when I'm on my deathbed property ownership won't be one of the things I'm thinking about...

Edited by blackrose

Third year - currently stuck in one place as I was admitted to hospital with renal failure and now waiting for further treatment. This would be OK if you could get hold of said enforcement officer for this area

Oh blimey that's bad news. Wish you a speedy recovery, assuming that's a possible outcome.

I'd be inclined to get in touch with CRT in writing if I were you. Phone calls are not worth the paper they are written on. Email is as good as snailmail, then you have a durable record you've told them what's going on.