Beta Marine green power on light.

johnmck

Featured Posts

For the second time , the power on light on our control panel has ceased to be.

Being a tight wad, I have searched for a supplier other than Beta.

The part number is I think 200-04656.

I have Googled this and a month or so ago, came up with a reasonably priced supplier, who now seems to have disappeared.

Any suggestions of alternatives before I have to go to Beta. Postage makes them a little expensive.

Thank you.

Edited by johnmck

I wonder why ?

Ours is now nudging 6 years old and has not yet blown.. Not sure if it forms any part of the charging / alternator circuitry ( anyone ?) but if so could it be indicating a fault might be existing or developing somewhere ?

Nick

Yes. The charging aspect has also crossed my mind, although all appears well in that respect according to the Smartguage. Ours is a semi trad and the panel is rather exposed. The boat was completed in 2011, with two bulb failures.

Yes. The charging aspect has also crossed my mind, although all appears well in that respect according to the Smartguage. Ours is a semi trad and the panel is rather exposed. The boat was completed in 2011, with two bulb failures.

Do you have twin alternators like we do? (Beta 43) in which case it's worth bearing in mind that the green bulb is powered from the engine battery, charged by the engine alternator, whereas the Smartgauge is probably connected to the domestic battery and domestic alternator. Do you have the deluxe panel with a voltmeter (which is the engine battery voltage)?

Anyway my thinking is some excess voltage or spikes on the engine alternator. Our green light is 4 years old, 2000 hours and still fine.

Do you have twin alternators like we do? (Beta 43) in which case it's worth bearing in mind that the green bulb is powered from the engine battery, charged by the engine alternator, whereas the Smartgauge is probably connected to the domestic battery and domestic alternator. Do you have the deluxe panel with a voltmeter (which is the engine battery voltage)?

Anyway my thinking is some excess voltage or spikes on the engine alternator. Our green light is 4 years old, 2000 hours and still fine.

Yep, that's the set up,with the deluxe panel. Ours is a coccooned engine, but same set up. I will investigate, or get someone who understands electrickery to do so!

First bulb went in the second year, next one towards the end of last summer. We now have 3200 engine hours on the clock. It has always concerned me a tad that the panel is exposed to the elements when cruising. Dare I say, we have a pram hood erected when stopped and over winter, which does offer some protection.

Indeed, I don't think it does anything more than show that the key has been turned "on". Personally I hate it, and have stuck some black tape around it so that it can't be seen from the steering position, but is clearly visible when I move forwards.

Yep, that's the set up,with the deluxe panel. Ours is a coccooned engine, but same set up. I will investigate, or get someone who understands electrickery to do so!

First bulb went in the second year, next one towards the end of last summer. We now have 3200 engine hours on the clock. It has always concerned me a tad that the panel is exposed to the elements when cruising. Dare I say, we have a pram hood erected when stopped and over winter, which does offer some protection.

A couple of thoughts.

If the lamp fails because of poor connection due to corrosion then it is probably damp getting in. If the filament is burning out then it is probably not damp but could either be bad luck or slightly high voltage. Excessive vibration will reduce lamp life but I can not believe it was that.

So I would check the voltage on the lamp and see if there are any large voltage spikes during cranking etc. Failing that just change the bulb every couple of years or if all it does is 'show power is applied' add a resistor to drop the voltage a bit or use an LED.

What does the deluxe panel voltmeter show when the engine is running, and is it steady?

If its only a power on indicator cant you replace it with an LED which may be longer lasting

Or just forget about it. After all, if the key is on but no engine running then you have the noise of the warning buzzer telling you so, or otherwise the noise from the engine tells you.