Eberspacher or Websto

otfd

Featured Posts

I have an Eberspacher D5w of 1998 vintage on a 45 foot boat that now has a sized burner motor so I am now looking at replacing the unit.

There appears to be lots of reviews out there regarding both Eberspacher & Websto products as well as a variation in the cost of the units.

My local boatyard suggest replacing it with a Webasto system as he is of the opinion there exhausts are a lot quieter and they are better in a marine application.

Before I part with lots of ££££ has anyone got any views comments or suggestions

I have an Eberspacher D5w of 1998 vintage on a 45 foot boat that now has a sized burner motor so I am now looking at replacing the unit.

There appears to be lots of reviews out there regarding both Eberspacher & Websto products as well as a variation in the cost of the units.

My local boatyard suggest replacing it with a Webasto system as he is of the opinion there exhausts are a lot quieter and they are better in a marine application.

Before I part with lots of ££££ has anyone got any views comments or suggestions

The boat I have recently sold had a webasto, ir was virtualy silent with no discernable exhaust noise. Cannot comment on ebers other than all the ones I have heard sounded like jet engines, could be instalation though.

Tim

Yep, try butler technik http://butlertechnik.com/

Good idea...... if you want to lose the Webasto three year on board warranty that is, or indeed any on board warranty at all, The Webasto and Eber are actually very little apart in terms of noise, it's more about the quality of install and type of silencer used. Personally I would favour the Webasto for marine use,It is important that you get the more voltage tolerant marine model and not a cheap vehicle type or you will be storing up future issues as many people are only recently discovering. Also you may not need a 5kw unit, you need to work out the radiator load first and choose the heater based on that (unless you wish to add rads) if there are about 4.5 to 5kw of rads then use a Webasto 4.2kw TTE, for the 5.2kw TTC you need about 5.8 to 6kw of radiator load or again you will be storing up future issues due to cycling, any calorifier load should be ignored in the calcs.

• Unimpressed 1

Good idea...... if you want to lose the Webasto three year on board warranty that is, or indeed any on board warranty at all,.......................

Was this comment because they are not an authorised seller or because they are a truck only supplier?

They do sell units they claim are suitable for narrowboats etc

http://sales.butlertechnik.com/webasto/webasto-installation-complete-heater-install-kit/webasto-thermo-top-c-narrowboat-kit-41k5037c?___SID=U

Ooh strife ;)

I partially agree with NMEA, having purchased a marine variant Webasto with a BSS suitable installation kit from Butler Technik - my only connection with them is as a satisfied customer.

The on board warranty is meaningless to me as I installed my own system, and am quite capable of removing it and couriering the whole unit back for repair if I ever need to - so far so good!

If you just need a working Webasto/Eberspacher/Mikuni etc and don't want to install it yourself, there are plenty of places that will do it for you for a price.

Was this comment because they are not an authorised seller or because they are a truck only supplier?

They do sell units they claim are suitable for narrowboats etc

http://sales.butlertechnik.com/webasto/webasto-installation-complete-heater-install-kit/webasto-thermo-top-c-narrowboat-kit-41k5037c?___SID=U

They are not an authorised dealer, they are an end user that box sells, they can of course sell proper narrowboat kits. Nothing agaist them, they are very knowlegable and helpful people and will always honour a return to base 1 year warranty but many people want the job done and the confidence of not being without heating whilst a unit is in the post and being repaired, it is also true to say that many problems require holistic onboard diagnisis as it is not always just the unit at fault.

Having now had both, I can say that they each have their own issues & it comes down to personal choice.

Eberspacher tend to be expensive to repair, not easy to DIY service & can have red diesel issues, although mine was OK as far as I knew. Power supply can be a problem, mine had to be connected directly to the batteries due to voltage drop via a fuse panel creating insufficient voltage for starting.

Webasto are definitely quieter once running & so far the only issue I have with it is the inability to have a room thermostat like you get with the Eber, its full on all the time, so getting the rad outputs for the output of the Webasto right is important. That could make replacing an Eber with a Webasto not as straightforward as it could be.

On the whole I prefer the Webasto at the moment, but I've only had one for a year compared to 15 with the Eber.

If you just need the unit it might be cheaper to check e bay a few deals around.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-GENUINE-Eberspacher-Hydronic-II-H-12v-5kw-diesel-water-heaterD5Z-H-fuel-pump-/321973366134?hash=item4af71bad76:g:haUAAOxyOalTYDqS

If you change the system you will need all new wiring etc. Might be easier to just change the unit.

• 4 years later...

A bit late on this! I trust you have a comfortably warm boat today in 2020.

Initially I feel I must own up ... I'm a tad biased on this one as I work for Butler Technik. We've been around for a long time, our 4 x dedicated tech support staff are all long-served guys that have worked for either Webasto Eberspacher themselves or within their dealer network. We have worked as a dealer and distributor of Webasto UK and Eberspacher UK for over 20+ years, and only sell warranted heater kits. It's true that our website may show lower cost heater kits for boat applications that have a 'repair parts only or return to Butler Technik' warranty, but please consider that we are also a global supplier of Eberspacher and Webasto heaters - a UK only on-site dealer warranty is of no benefit to a boat owner if they do not moor up in the UK. Even if they are moored in the UK we find that it is not unusual for the 'local' UK DEALER to insist on an upfront credit card payment for a diagnostic visit. We believe our hassle-free tech support + heater test and repair service to be a very efficient solution to the majority of heater diagnostic and repair requirements

Of course we work with and appreciate the large majority of our fellow UK heater dealers within the UK network.  There is a role for all of us within the installation, service and repair of Eberspacher and Webasto heaters.

20 minutes ago, Butler Technik said:

a UK only on-site dealer warranty is of no benefit to a boat owner if they do not moor up in the UK. Even if they are moored in the UK

Thanks for posting and an explanation of the 'system'.

I think that as this is a UK canal forum that 99%+ of forum members will have their boats moor on a UK canal or River, they are not sea-worthy vessels so are unlikely to ever be outside UK waters (unless they are exported to, and operating within the European mainland)

Thank you for your reply.

That's understood, I totally agree.

I thought I would just provide an explanation with regard to the legitimacy and boat worthiness of all the Webasto and Eberspacher heater kits and applicable warranties sold at Butler Technik.  For a specific Narrowboat application we only advertise a Webasto UK boxed and supplied, UK dealer warranted Webasto Thermo Top Evo 5 Diesel heater of course. We are also perhaps a familiar supplier of ancillary components associated with these installations for self installers and boat builders alike. I wasn't trying to get any easy publicity with my first comment on this thread, to be honest I was just wishing to clarify the bona fide specification and UK warranty applicable to the Canal boat kits stocked at Butler Technik.

Thank you once more for your comment, appreciated

webasto-thermo-top-evo-5-diesel-narrowboat-kit-with-seven-day-timer-4117864a.jpg

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

Does anyone make a smaller marine heater, say 3 or 4kW? (water not air)

Another question: Is the water pump built in to the Webasto or does it require an external one like the Eberspacher?

Edit: Just noticed the pump in the above kit so my question is answered

Edited by Stephen Jeavons

Hello, yes they do, both Webasto and Eberspacher. the Webasto Thermo Top E (4kw) is still available, but only just; it'll soon be discontinued. Webasto UK hold stock of the heater but we ourselves would need to assemble the ancillary items for marine application in this case. That's no problem, we hold everything in stock to do this

Also the new model Eberspacher S3 is now available to order as a Narrowboat kit with a reduced output of approx 4kw - delivery is 2-3 weeks from Eberspacher UK. Pricing is similar to the 5kw  heaters.

Thank you for enquiring