Bluewater or Colecraft Bespoke Builds

Featured Posts

By their nature, so-called widebeam narrowboats are not beautiful, though their sheer size can be impfessive.

But you don't live on the outside of the boat. I'm sure the owners are not the slightest bit worried about the external aesthetics as they relax in their lovely 11-foot wide lounge.

12 Foot. Might even be wider. 'Just' fitted in the lock at the New Inn.Buckby.

As I said, the fit out was coming along very nicely and he was doing a quality job. When they showed us around I did say it's very nice. He asked would I like one. I answered no. He knows that I think it's an ugly beast.

Looks like a very tall boat that has been stood on.

As I said, the fit out was coming along very nicely and he was doing a quality job. When they showed us around I did say it's very nice. He asked would I like one. I answered no. He knows that I think it's an ugly beast.

Looks like a very tall boat that has been stood on.

there are widebeams and widebeams mine has shape some others dont

And some are F**** ugly:

ladytealatcrickboatshow2010.jpg

Yes, we saw that one at Crick. Perhaps the word which you seek is "distinctive"?

It had make optimum use of internal space, but I don't think that I would care to drive it far.

I was thinking of internal dimensions; assuming it might be 12 feet wide, a fairly common widebeam dimension, I deducted a foot for side decks and insulation. But from what you say, it's probably 14 feet wide - so would have a lovely 13' lounge!

And some are F**** ugly:

ladytealatcrickboatshow2010.jpg

From memory that particular boat was a newly built hotel boat and I guess the brief was 'maximum space for the width/length' please. It's not pretty though agreed.

nearly all the commercial boats had bows like that around here under the water they had shape though unlike that brick

There was a picture on here that Carlt once posted of a Sheffield (I think) boat in dry dock that showed that very nicely, they have a surprisingly beautiful shape under the water line considering how they look above. I can't find it now though.

ed - it wasn't Carl the pics were posted by member - Flatplane8 and were of his own boat.

stern%20plate.JPG

final%20stern1.jpg

Edited by MJG

This brick is named "Lady Teal" and she's a most succesful hotelbarge travelling mainly on the L & L.

The owners and their clients seem to be very happy with her, and her ugliness doesn't bother them at all.

Seen through my own eyes a couple of years ago, she handled well enough to enter the locks without any difficulties.

In the water she looks (a little bit) less ugly than on the land at Crick, but she'll never win a beauty contest that's for sure.

Her owners and her clients are much more interested in the comfort she offers.

Peter.

Édités because of endless fights with my french automatic spelling corrector.

Edited by bargemast

Do you really think that narrowboats are beautiful by their nature? huh.png I don't.

They're built to appropriate proportions. They are not all things of beauty, but they stand a good chance of not looking plug-ugly either.

I find some wide boats quite beautiful, but not so-called widebeam narrowboats, as the proportions are all wrong and most of them just look obese. But I'm sure that owners of such craft trade off the lack of aesthetic appeal against the space and comfort of the interior.

there are widebeams and widebeams mine has shape some others dont

Yes, widebeams can be ugly, but then so can narrowboats. I wouldn't say my 12ft widebeam is beautiful, but in my opinion it's certainly not ugly and its proportions are more aesthetically pleasing to me than many narrowboats I see.

IMG-20130511-00347_zps62e164d7.jpg

utf-8BUmVhZGluZy0yMDEzMDQxOC0wMDIwMS5qcG

DSC_2949-1.jpg

Bath%20and%20North%20East%20Somerset-201

They're built to appropriate proportions.

Yes, appropriate for narrow locks, but NOT appropriate for anything else, least of all aesthetics! There's nothing "natural" about the proportions of a narrowboat compared to a widebeam.

Edited by blackrose

Yes, widebeams can be ugly, but then so can narrowboats. I wouldn't say my 12ft widebeam is beautiful, but in my opinion it's certainly not ugly and its proportions are more aesthetically pleasing to me than many narrowboats I see.

Yes, appropriate for narrow locks, but NOT appropriate for anything else, least of all aesthetics!

Beauty...eye...beholder...

• Greenie 1

They're built to appropriate proportions. They are not all things of beauty, but they stand a good chance of not looking plug-ugly either.

I find some wide boats quite beautiful, but not so-called widebeam narrowboats, as the proportions are all wrong and most of them just look obese. But I'm sure that owners of such craft trade off the lack of aesthetic appeal against the space and comfort of the interior.

Well, it depends the way you look at it. Comparing to all sort of boats built all around the world, it’s the narrowboats that actually have “weird proportions” being so narrow in relation to the length.

There's at least one widebeam-narrowboat that's looking rather nice (I think) which is, and has been operating since many years on the K & A and the GU as a succesful hotel-barge named"Tranquil Rose"

Her lines are pleasing to the (my) eyes.

Peter.

This brick is named "Lady Teal" and she's a most succesful hotelbarge travelling mainly on the L & L.

The owners and their clients seem to be very happy with her, and her ugliness doesn't bother them at all.

Seen through my own eyes a couple of years ago, she handled well enough to enter the locks without any difficulties.

In the water she looks (a little bit) less ugly than on the land at Crick, but she'll never win a beauty contest that's for sure.

Her owners and her clients are much more interested in the comfort she offers.

Peter.

Édités because of endless fights with my french automatic spelling corrector.

are you sure its lady teal i saw lady teal on the new junction last year and thought her different to the beast in the picture

are you sure its lady teal i saw lady teal on the new junction last year and thought her different to the beast in the picture

Yes Peter, I'm only about 100% sure that the brick @ Crick is the "Lady Teal", but as I wrote, she doesn't look as bad in the water.

Peter.