Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
xub1

Does anyone know of TV or film dramas set on canal?

Featured Posts

Midsomer Murder's

"The Green Man" (No 29) Skeletons unearthed by a tunnel collapse during the restoration of a canal project (filmed on the Thames and Severn Canal at the Coates Portal at the south-eastern end of the Sapperton Tunnel also Black Jack lock on the Grand Union.

"Dead in the Water" (No 37) Midsomer Regatta at Morton Shallows boat club where a club member is murdered. (Filmed at Henley on Thames.

"The Axeman Cometh" (No 55) Cully enters the backcabin with the band manager (Filmed above Black Jack Lock GU.

I think there's great potential for a Midsomer Murders set mainly on the canals (perhaps a cyclist's severed head found in the weed hatch of a hire boat to start it off, and go from there...) so I'm surprised they've not made one yet.

Perhaps I ought to write a screenplay?

The series where a boat was blown up in Sowerby Bridge Basin, as someone said was Stay Lucky (my parents then boat was shown). Also featuring a narrowboat in the basin was Sally Wainright's (writer of Happy Valley) other TV series, Last Tango in Halifax.

Some years ago there was a TV movie based on a book by Elizabeth Jane Howard (ex wife of Peter Scott, secretary/lover to Robert Aickman in the early days of IWA), which featured a chap who lived on a boat on the Leeds & Liverpool.

During the story the boat sank and disappeared without trace, so he must have found the one bit of the L&L which is 6 ft+ deep!

An episode of The Professionals had a "chase" and a shootout on a canal.

As I remember it was filmed around Ladbroke grove and scrubs lane before sainsburys was built

More recently filmed was the show "After Hours", primarily set in and around Lymm village, the Bridgewater Canal is used alot.

The flat deck of Ariel was used as a floating camera platform and also helped to make up the background in some shots.

I believe it's being aired on Sky TV at the moment but haven't seen it yet.

Stretching this to films in which our waterways have made an appearance in cinema films, there are two 1950's films which come to mind.

In "Reach for the Sky", Douglas Bader, played by Kenneth More, having escaped from the Germans, was then recaptured at Cowley Lock.

In the "Dambusters", there is a sequence of shots of the Lancasters flying along the line of a couple of the Yorkshire waterways. After following the New Junction towards Bramwith and flying over Sykehouse Lock they then fly down the last mile or so of Dutch River from near Rawcliffe, to Goole before turning across the bottom gates of Ocean Lock to follow the Ouse, doubling up as the Rhine, upriver towards Howden.

It would be great to have a formal list/post somewhere in History & Heritage that could be added too - divided into sections for say Canal Films (i.e. Painted Boats), Canal Building/Maintenance Series (Narrowboat Afloat), Canal Travels (Tim & Pru etc), Canal History (like the old Pathe type footage) etc etc.

All these posts could then be added to the list so we can just look and see what's new that we haven't seen before.

More recently filmed was the show "After Hours", primarily set in and around Lymm village, the Bridgewater Canal is used alot.

The flat deck of Ariel was used as a floating camera platform and also helped to make up the background in some shots.

I believe it's being aired on Sky TV at the moment but haven't seen it yet.

It was broadcast last year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_Hours_(UK_TV_series)

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/media-packs/2015/after-hours-press-pack

Tim

If not mentioned inthe previous pages I know there was a musical from the early 50s called The Water Gipsies and I think a film in the 30s preceded it. Both based on an earlier book.

On 16/01/2016 at 23:04, koukouvagia said:

The remake of the Railway Children (2000) has two scenes with Owl and Lily. This was filmed at Bulbourne and Marsworth.

Somewhat incongruously the motor Lily is being pulled by a horse. The film wanted to use our butty Hampton but had to compromise and use a motor instead when they realised it would take several days to bring the butty up from London.

That would have been when Gary & Tracey (Chilton Chuggers) owned " Lily"

Went past 'Leg o Mutton' lock today as well as the lock keepers house in ' The Bargee'. (Maffers Top). Last week we were at Brentford and Bulls Bridge. All much altered over the years since the film.

David.

There was an episode of Boon that featured narrowboats, starting at that pub below Knowle who's name I can't recall and finishing in Birmingham. 

One of the Dalziel & Pascoe episodes featured the canals heavily, another burning boat I think plus other episodes had a chase scene set under the M6 and M5. 

On 21/01/2016 at 20:51, Joe the plumber said:

I think there's great potential for a Midsomer Murders set mainly on the canals (perhaps a cyclist's severed head found in the weed hatch of a hire boat to start it off, and go from there...) so I'm surprised they've not made one yet.

Perhaps I ought to write a screenplay?

No harm in writing one.

6 hours ago, pearley said:

There was an episode of Boon that featured narrowboats, starting at that pub below Knowle who's name I can't recall and finishing in Birmingham. 

The Black Boy?

George

In the 1980s they borrowed our boat to make a tv show i believe it was called crazy like a fox. They borrowed it filled it with sheep and tried to pretend it was heading for eastbourne. Actualy shot between stokers and batchworth.

we ended up with money straw bales resin ply and sheepshit. The resin coated ply went onto make shuts for the butty and as far as i know are still there..

An old thread I know, but did anyone watch "His Dark Materials" which was on BBC1 at 8pm last night (Sunday 3rd Nov)?    A version of the canals (as well as a version of Oxford) is used as part of the setting with some of the canal sections filmed on the Gloucseter and Sharpness Canal I believe?

Zomboat!

Also Peaky Blinders has many canal scenes generally filmed at the Black country Museum

Zomboat is a great laugh, still available on ITV Hub.

Also coming in the new year, the NBT pair Nuneaton and Brighton will be appearing in an episode of "Father Brown" on the BBC.

12 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Zomboat!

Also Peaky Blinders has many canal scenes generally filmed at the Black country Museum

Also many filmed at Ellesmere Port with CGI backgrounds