Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
xub1

Does anyone know of TV or film dramas set on canal?

Featured Posts

Their 3 "sole" stations are themed for different decades/periods.

Horsted Keynes = Southern Railway period – mid 1920s

Sheffield Pk = Brighton era in the 1880s

Kingscote = British Railways period – mid 1950s

East Grinstead is shared with modern railway.

Wow, good info, have a greeno, thank you!

Are these stations themed to represent different eras for strictly railway preservation reasons, or did the railway have commercial reasons such as suitability for films and adverts when they chose to recreate these periods?

Travelling Man is excellent. I have the dvd too. Bit dated now but still good viewing. The author Lee Child was involved in it and this is a clear influence on his Jack Reacher books.

I love the Minder episode, lots of continuity issues but I ignore that!

In the late 60's there was a film being made around Braunston starring Robert Powell something about a stressed out high flyer using the canal to get away from his problems, the windmill was also involved in some way the local young mums all use to assemble on the various bridges with prams, pushchairs, the assembled working boaters at the bottom lock viewed it as a bit of a comedy, the boat he was supposed to be renovating was covered over the paintwork with a red oxide coloured latex which was peeled off to represent the boat being painted one of the cast was supposed to commit suicide by hanging them self from the iron bridge over the arm to the dock Arthur Bray offered to organise the rope for to do the job Think the title was something like" Running Scared", but not certain

Wow, good info, have a greeno, thank you!

Are these stations themed to represent different eras for strictly railway preservation reasons, or did the railway have commercial reasons such as suitability for films and adverts when they chose to recreate these periods?

I'm not sure Athy. If it was, it was a shewd decision. A trip on the Bluebell for me is getting off all the stations and wallowing about in their different period feels.

Edited by mark99

Midsomer Murder's

"The Green Man" (No 29) Skeletons unearthed by a tunnel collapse during the restoration of a canal project (filmed on the Thames and Severn Canal at the Coates Portal at the south-eastern end of the Sapperton Tunnel also Black Jack lock on the Grand Union.

"Dead in the Water" (No 37) Midsomer Regatta at Morton Shallows boat club where a club member is murdered. (Filmed at Henley on Thames.

"The Axeman Cometh" (No 55) Cully enters the backcabin with the band manager (Filmed above Black Jack Lock GU.

"The Axeman Cometh" (No 55) Cully enters the backcabin with the band manager (Filmed above Black Jack Lock GU.

Only family rated shows please. :)

Midsomer Murder's

I think it was the band manager that entered ........

I see the new series of Call the Midwife has started so there will be some boat & baby action.

Though not set on canals, much of the waterbourne action in 'Endeavour' last night took place on the same stretch of the Cherwell at Oxford where I and friends used to go punting in the mid 70's, even down to the bankside stretch we used to stop for a pick-nik.

Happy days, does anyone else remember Parson's pleasure (Dame's delight has been long gone) and launching the punts down the rollers to get round the weir? good fishing for Pike and Grayling.

L.

In the late 60's there was a film being made around Braunston starring Robert Powell something about a stressed out high flyer using the canal to get away from his problems, the windmill was also involved in some way the local young mums all use to assemble on the various bridges with prams, pushchairs, the assembled working boaters at the bottom lock viewed it as a bit of a comedy, the boat he was supposed to be renovating was covered over the paintwork with a red oxide coloured latex which was peeled off to represent the boat being painted one of the cast was supposed to commit suicide by hanging them self from the iron bridge over the arm to the dock Arthur Bray offered to organise the rope for to do the job Think the title was something like" Running Scared", but not certain

Yes, Running Scared

The TV/Film adaptation of Catherine Cookson's 'The Man Who Cried' has a section based on a rather nice wooden cruiser based on what looks like the L&L canal. Though it's not referenced specifically.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106060/

It looks like Greenberfield locks to me, at least at the start.

Edited by MJG

No mention of Joshua Jones yet? My favourite canal / boating prog. I don't think they're making any more now but it's ace! The theme tune alone cheers me up.

Edited by Dave_P

I think it was the band manager that entered ........

I see the new series of Call the Midwife has started so there will be some boat & baby action.

Both did, as he invited her aboard

Though not set on canals, much of the waterbourne action in 'Endeavour' last night took place on the same stretch of the Cherwell at Oxford where I and friends used to go punting in the mid 70's, even down to the bankside stretch we used to stop for a pick-nik.

Happy days, does anyone else remember Parson's pleasure (Dame's delight has been long gone) and launching the punts down the rollers to get round the weir? good fishing for Pike and Grayling.

L.

Yes, also in the mid 70s. We might have passed each other one day.

Going past Parson's pleasure one cold day in May 74 with a woman I knew and her boyfriend, her head covered by a coat as I think was customary, I'm sure she had a peek at the few men who were on the bank. At that temperature she wouldn't have seen much.

Hauling a wooden punt up the rollers could be quite hard work I remember, especially if the crew were lacking in numbers, weak or lazy, or had been at the booze to much. Then there was the matter of holding onto the rope so that the punt didn't shoot off into mid stream.

I think I heard that Parson's pleasure had closed? I assume the rollers are still there?

In 1982 the Norton Canes Docks section of the Cannock Extension Canal was used to film the BBC Play For Today “Atlantis”. The comedy drama, staring Frank Middlemass, was transmitted on 4 January 1983. It was about the conversion of an old narrow boat into a pleasure cruiser.

The show ended with a sting in the tail when the boat started its first trip .............

Peter Terson (pseudonym of Peter Patterson) had written the play while he was living on a boat there.

(I'm still trying to get hold of a copy if anyone out there knows how to get one!)

In 1982 the Norton Canes Docks section of the Cannock Extension Canal was used to film the BBC Play For Today “Atlantis”. The comedy drama, staring Frank Middlemass, was transmitted on 4 January 1983. It was about the conversion of an old narrow boat into a pleasure cruiser.

The show ended with a sting in the tail when the boat started its first trip .............

Peter Terson (pseudonym of Peter Patterson) had written the play while he was living on a boat there.

(I'm still trying to get hold of a copy if anyone out there knows how to get one!)

Has been discussed before

Tim

The Cruel Canal, in which Arthur and Ray Daley transported some video recorders from Greenford to Limehouse.

Whatever was filmed in Sowerby Bridge, it might have featured Dennis Waterman, but it wouldn't have been Minder, that was all set in London.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stay_Lucky