Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
xub1

Does anyone know of TV or film dramas set on canal?

Featured Posts

I was casting about on Amazon and came across a TV drama series called The Travelling Man. I remembered it from 1984 when it was screened. It was made by Granada. I have bought the series and have watched a couple of episodes. It's a bit more hard=hitting and gritty than I remembered. But good to watch a drama with the world of canals as a backdrop.

• Greenie 1

That 'Canal Children' is just my cup of tea. I like history a lot and often try to imagine the canal and its workings all those years back. What a good do. Cheers. It also seems a gentle drama. Just what I need at the moment.

Morse. The Wench is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXaxxPm3DTg

Canal Children.

Painted Boats

Rosie & Jim

The Boat People

Flower of Gloucester

The Bargee

There is also a early 1950's police series featured the southern G.U. in one episode.

Don't forget The Zoo Robbery starring Alton, in its alter ego as Dragonfly.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

More recently "Happy Valley" set in Sowerby Bridge as was he episode of of Minder I think *(or was it another programme with what's his name in it.

I'm sure there was something with Dennis Waterman in where the character he played lived on board a boat, somewhere up north.

Peaky Blinders.

I also believe a episode of "Call (send for?) for the Widwife" will feature canal scenes this year.

Edited by Ray T

More recently "Happy Valley" set in Sowerby Bridge as was he episode of of Minder I think *(or was it another programme with what's his name in it.

And if you look very carefully you'll see my boat! (But blink and you'll miss it.)

The remake of the Railway Children (2000) has two scenes with Owl and Lily. This was filmed at Bulbourne and Marsworth.

Somewhat incongruously the motor Lily is being pulled by a horse. The film wanted to use our butty Hampton but had to compromise and use a motor instead when they realised it would take several days to bring the butty up from London.

Peaky Blinders.

I also believe a episode of "Call (send for?) for the Midwife" will feature canal scenes this year.

Indeed it will. Look out for Clover, Holland, Kangaroo, Owl, Hampton and Hood which were there to add verisimilitude to the action. It was filmed at Bulbourne but is supposed to be at Limehouse.

I can't tell you what's going to happen because we've had to sign non-disclosure contracts!

Flower Of Gloster

DVD due out in April

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418392/

Tim

I'm in that (twice!) The film crew used our boat when theirs broke down, and could not get to Stoke Bruerne.

Edited by David Schweizer

I'm sure there was something with Dennis Waterman in where the character he played lived on board a boat, somewhere up north.

That's what was referring to, not minder. The boat was blown up in Sowerby Bridge Basin

Somewhat incongruously the motor Lily is being pulled by a horse.

That's movies for you. Usually it's a pair of hardboard smoke deflectors, a big lamp and a dinner bell on a Black 5, and the locomotive is in cold war East Germany or a Ruritanian idyll. I've lost count of the amount of pre-war romances where the love interests gets out of a BR Mk1 coach.

Edited by Locksprite

Minder - can't remember the episode but it's not that accurate...... wink.png

The Cruel Canal, in which Arthur and Ray Daley transported some video recorders from Greenford to Limehouse.

Whatever was filmed in Sowerby Bridge, it might have featured Dennis Waterman, but it wouldn't have been Minder, that was all set in London.

Take Me High, a 1973 film set in Birmingham starring Cliff Richard. So bad that it's good.

That's what was referring to, not minder. The boat was blown up in Sowerby Bridge Basin

Whatever was filmed in Sowerby Bridge, it might have featured Dennis Waterman, but it wouldn't have been Minder, that was all set in London.

what was the one with david essex as the lock keeper cant remember the name of it

Although I have not seen it, I believe "The River" ends with a dramatic boat explosion so perhaps it is that which was filmed at Sowerby Bridge?

Of course the Bargee also features Eric Sykes' "Noddy Boat" blowing up, but that was on the Grand Union.

I've lost count of the amount of pre-war romances where the love interests gets out of a BR Mk1 coach.

I've lost count of the number of times that Sheffield Park (or is it Horsted Keynes?) station appears, in films and T.V. programmes, masquerading as somewhere else. The Bluebell Railway must have made a fortune from production companies over the years. I suppose they use it because it's conveniently near London.

I have a recollection that the 1980-ish series Shoestring, starring a young actor who would later become better known, Trevor Eve, had a narrowboat in it - perhaps the hero lived on it? but I am not certain.

Edited by Athy

I've lost count of the number of times that Sheffield Park (or is it Horsted Keynes?) station appears, in films and T.V. programmes, masquerading as somewhere else. The Bluebell Railway must have made a fortune from production companies over the years. I suppose they use it because it's conveniently near London.

Their 3 "sole" stations are themed for different decades/periods.

Horsted Keynes = Southern Railway period – mid 1920s

Sheffield Pk = Brighton era in the 1880s

Kingscote = British Railways period – mid 1950s

East Grinstead is shared with modern railway.

• Greenie 1