Not boasting or anything but

p6rob

Featured Posts

Just done my best winding at Cambrian wharf ever.

It was dark, there were gongoozlers in the flapper and it was just about perfect.

Ok, the boat is only 40ft and there aren't many boats there, but even so, it looked like I knew what I was doing.

Much better than the last week when I dropped my pole outside sealife.

That's all really

Rob

Just done my best winding at Cambrian wharf ever.

It was dark, there were gongoozlers in the flapper and it was just about perfect.

Ok, the boat is only 40ft and there aren't many boats there, but even so, it looked like I knew what I was doing.

Much better than the last week when I dropped my pole outside sealife.

That's all really

Rob

Get in, spun like a boss :)

It's such a nice feeling in it! (Rare in my case!)

I once had 7 of my mates on my boat, came up to the bottom of Hanwell flight, turned right under the foot bridge, reversed back, turned round and moored up for the pub without a single correction or fumble. Nods of approval from everyone.

On the way home I clipped a bribe a little bit and took half an hour to reverse into my mooring! :)

It's such a nice feeling in it! (Rare in my case!)

I once had 7 of my mates on my boat, came up to the bottom of Hanwell flight, turned right under the foot bridge, reversed back, turned round and moored up for the pub without a single correction or fumble. Nods of approval from everyone.

On the way home I clipped a bribe a little bit and took half an hour to reverse into my mooring! smile.png

unwise to admit that kind of thing on a public forum cool.png

Congrats, 'Tis a great feeling getting it dead right with a big audience!!

My claim. To fame is reversing the boat smartly from the Cunning Man at Burghfield back to the winding hole by the bridge, turning (in reverse) into the winding hole, then forward through the bridge hole perfectly on a hot summers night after five pints in the pub!

I amazed myself as much as the audience :)

My best one was little Venice, at 6am early may, reversed the whole length of the straight back to the waterpoint without a single correction.

Boats were 2 or 3 abreast, and 4 by the wardens boat.

A single Japanese tourist on the bridge was either photographing or videoing me. Never found it.

Well done Rob, it's great when it goes right.

Edited by matty40s

The wonders of Johnny Walkers. I once was called out to a friends sailing cruiser in Bradwell marina to fix his auxiluary engine, an old Vire petrol engine. The boat was a Westerly Nimrod sailing cruiser. Dennis the owner plied we with Scotch so I soon fixed the engine, I then suggested that we tested it out in the estuary, Dennis plied me with more Scotch and off we popped only to run out petrol about half a mile off Bradwell power station. Time to get your sails out Dennis I bawled. Iiii haven't gggot any, I've taken em home to wash them he replied, all I've got is an old ragged jib sail that I use to wipe my hands on, that'll have to do, I replied, more Scotch, so I hanked it on. I think Dennis was the type that just sat in the clubhouse drinking and just dreaming about sailing his boat I think his sails had been at home a long time judging by the tackle and his algae covered mooring lines tied up with granny knots. So back we plodded in a roundabout way to the marina because of fickle contrary winds and Scotch. Now the entrance to the marina is a very tortuous route involving sailing along the twisty withied Pewits creek and doubling around pontoons until we arrived at and tied up at Dennis's pontoon, to be greeted by the sounds of big applause from the folk in and around the clubhouse and on their boats. I couldn't see em properly though, only hear them, ''double vision'' you see which seemed to double the number of applauders. They'd all been watching my performance sailing back in, some with binoculars apparently a feat which no one had ever dared to attempt even with all their sails. No way would I have attempted it or done it so perfectly, ''so I was told'' if I had been sober.

Edited by bizzard

Why? Most people will not know what it means. I don't.

I assumed it was a typo and he clipped a bridge

At the other end of the scale I recall a queue forming while this chap tried to get his Anglo Welsh hire boat into a lock sideways.

post-14518-0-01530200-1452933201_thumb.jpg

Edited by Martin Megson

Why? Most people will not know what it means. I don't.

Sometimes Athy, you don't get humour.

It's the juxtaposition of incongruous objects, in this case the thought of Wanted taking a bribe.

Yes I know it wasn't P. G. Wodehouse or Clive James but I found it amusing

I assumed it was a typo and he clipped a bridge

At the other end of the scale I recall a queue forming while this chap tried to get his hire boat into a lock sideways.

attachicon.gif12-06-010.jpg

I think every time I've been up the Llangollen there has been a boat get itself into that position (after leaving the 'waiting area' on the left of your picture)

One of my smoothest manoeuvres was approaching Cowley lock going north on the GU and turning my 57 x 12ft boat below the lock.

I did it in one move without having to use reverse, but it felt very tight.

There was only one spectator - a moorer who poked his head out his hatch. On my way back past his boat I said "What's the maximum length you can turn there - 60ft?"

"57" he replied.

Does anyone know if that's true?

500px-Cowley_lock_on_the_Grand_Union_Can

Edited by blackrose

some boats do just turn and handle nicer than others, I noticed this more while going round the warwickshire ring (and a few offshoots) with another boater, where they were having to do 3 point turns to get round we were going round in one even though the boats were the same size.

with ours you push the tiller over and it will almost turn in its own length, theirs wouldn't even turn 45 degrees in the same space

Not done much to warrant aplause. Just on the bottom of GU the day after my boat had been " Dried out" as I was coming up to the Bulls Bridge turn it was blowing a Hooley, there was a boat coming out as I made my turn, he banged and clattered his way out where the wind caught him. I as a newbie of just 2 weeks including my sinking altered course to starboard gave it full Port rudder a little bit of go juice and went round him and straight through the arch without a scratch. As I was coming out there was a bus load clapping my feat giving me the thumbs up. That felt great reward after my past trials.icecream.gif

Edited by Terryb
  • Greenie 2

some boats do just turn and handle nicer than others, I noticed this more while going round the warwickshire ring (and a few offshoots) with another boater, where they were having to do 3 point turns to get round we were going round in one even though the boats were the same size.

with ours you push the tiller over and it will almost turn in its own length, theirs wouldn't even turn 45 degrees in the same space

In my experience boats handle much better when no one is watching!

Could be a bit of prop walk. How does Trojan handle in reverse?

In my hands, not especially well - but the (very experienced) fitters at Fox's reckoned that she steered much better in reverse than many boats.