Brayford Pool Lincoln

zenataomm

Featured Posts

The Lincoln Echo has published a special edition entitled "Getting Around" £1.10. It celebrates the different transport and travel seen in Lincoln over the decades.

It covers boats and shows photographs, many of which are easily found on the internet and others that aren't but are displayed via The Lincoln Archive.

I apologise for the crap quality, being newspaper size an A4 scanner is too small.

Still if you want the real thing contact The Lincolnshire Echo and buy one.

post-3714-0-96908100-1452881229_thumb.jpg

Who knew that in the 60s they held powerboat racing around The Brayford? Using what looks like a sailing barge as a turning post. There is a converted narrow boat over the far side. (avoiding jokes about .... Fasting thing across the pool since Naughty Cal)

I think they should still do this instead of discarding moorings and adding yet more floating restaurants.

post-3714-0-26900400-1452881764_thumb.jpg

post-3714-0-04401500-1452883005_thumb.jpg

Josher Jaguar flogging coal. Is this Nick Hill? It's pre fore-cabin, which I think was mid 80s?

post-3714-0-99561100-1452881979_thumb.jpg

post-3714-0-70022500-1452882135_thumb.jpg

Elizabeth with Mig/Meg? I first met Jim the following year when he and and Pete Thompson were taking Elizabeth to The IWA Rally at Nottingham. I was 20 in a 16ft ply boat and Jim already looked sagelike. Was Elizabeth originally worked on in Lincoln and had her mast and rigging fitted there?

post-3714-0-68581200-1452882596_thumb.jpg

Anyone know the story behind these two? They're from Aylesbury Basin and it claims are aground.

post-3714-0-40684600-1452882781_thumb.jpg

Sadly the visitor moorings are no longer available (top of photo), nor are the moorings on the left. The Harbour Master's up near the top left was removed a few years back and replaced with a restaurant stuck out on the water on piles and planning permission is being argued for yet another one.

post-3714-0-99889100-1452883254_thumb.jpg

All in all there are about 20 such boat photos in the newspaper, a bargain at only £1.10 especially as it also covers cars, trucks, bikes, motorbikes, buses, horses and trains.

Edited by zenataomm
  • Greenie 1

Very nice. I remember an afternoon on Jaguar in about 1974, "helping" them to shovel loose coal (they had just filled up at the wharf between Kidliington and Thrupp) into bags... I think it was with Corona? Haven't seen it for years but then I don't go to the right sort of gathering.

(I should say that when I passed NC in Brayford pool this summer, she was going at a very sedate pace).

Well, I look at this part of CWDF site regularly (not the rest) and find that it is very lively. Not dying at all. I see NC's blog says people are "whingeing" (a term I detest) but I see very little on here that could fit the description of that unpleasant term.

In my experience, everyone here is helpful and constructive (perhaps the odd exception) - long may that and the CWDF site continue!

Happy New Year everyone

J

• 3 years later...
On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 18:33, zenataomm said:

Josher Jaguar flogging coal. Is this Nick Hill? It's pre fore-cabin, which I think was mid 80s?

Dragging up another old topic, sorry.

No, that was me, July 1975, outside the 'Green Dragon', which I believe is no longer there.  We had loaded coal at Stenson, and had been selling to lock-keepers, etc on the Trent, come up the Fossdyke to Lincoln.  The lad on the bank was some kid we had left looking after the boat.

lincoln.jpg

6 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Now I know why it's called the Green Dragon! (Was).

Yes, it was Alan Braby who had the tin box put on the front, sometime in the early ro mid eighties. Then he found a Bolinder to put in, then he left the cut.

The original print had a terrible red cast.  Don't know about the tin box.  When we were working her she had a nice reliable Lister HA2, electric start, never any trouble, except when Nick found us some dodgy, cheap gas oil.  She didn't like that.  Missed a beat, then blew a great cloud of crud out of the exhaust.  Had to clean the injectors.

The 'Tin box' I only refer to as it was a metal forecabin, which didn't suit. Don't know when it came off. Certainly had the HA2 in it when Alan took it on. He had the 'Station' boat HERON before that, though that wasn't an original name.

Looks and sounds good here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0mJVkyiv1o&mode=related&search=&gl=GB&hl=en-GB

Well done, that man.  White swans. Much better.  Early colour prints, if the lab messed up the negs you were stuck.

In those far off days we never thought about taking the chimbley down, and quite happily left the engine 'ole doors open while we went shopping.  It was later that people found their diesel oil had been nicked.