Smoke Billowing into Boat

NorthwichTrader

Featured Posts

Long shot, but easy to do: you maybe only fitted the stove four weeks ago, but that's long enough to build up some cack in the flue pipe and chimney with what you're burning. It's worth removing the baffle plate and thoroughly sweeping the flue and chimney. Do it twice because the first brushing might dislodge a curved sheet of solidified cr*p which can partially block the flue if it gets stuck inside at an angle.

Then stick your baffle plate back in and make a really hot fire from kiln dried kindling and a hot burning coal like Excel only. Don't do it on a windy day or with the boat doors open because that can change how the air is drawn through the stove.

If the smoke persists even once the fire is large and very hot, at least you've ruled out the flue temperature or partial blockage being the cause.

Edited to add: I once had an oik shove a half empty bottle of drink down the chimney. Didn't notice till the fire got stoked and the place filled with smoke. Depending on where you're moored you might have had a visit from a similar oik.

Also you haven't mentioned it you have any chimney paraphernalia like a rotating cap or coolie hat. If you do, it's worth trying to light the fire without those things on in case they're diverting the airflow. I assume you've a good long flue pipe/chimney combo and not a dog-legged flue? A shorter combined length can reduce the draw

Edited by BlueStringPudding

here's a thought are you burning the wood on a grate?

Grates in stoves are designed for burning solid fuel not wood.

When burning solid fuel you need draft from below

When burning wood you need draft from above.

Our Country 4 has no grate and the wood is burnt on a bed of wood ash on the base of the stove. In use we never open the bottom air vent and control the whole thing with the top vent.

If you are using a grate and only burn wood my suggestion would be to let the ash pan fill up with ash shut the bottom vent and control the whole thing using the top vent.

Awaits the crys of rubbish from those that don't know the physics of burning different types of fuel in stoves.

No cry of rubbish from me, im always banging on about the difference between burning wood and coal.