Steam Boat Swallow - What Happened?

David Mack

Featured Posts

I suppose the one remaining question is, does anyone know what happened to the engine and boiler? 

And or as I never saw it, does anyone have any photo of the steam plant and or cabin etc. Might drop Roger a line.

Daniel

On 15/08/2017 at 22:15, sharpness said:

Likewise

Steve  ex Olmeda, Lyness, Resurgent, Olwen, Grey Rover, Sir Galahad

Steve I’m pretty sure we have RAS’d with all those except of course Sir Galahad. 

On 16/08/2017 at 14:04, mrsmelly said:

All good fun. I and some others as anyone could ask to do it went across from our grey funnel liner to the RFA and back on a line on a bosuns chair!! as that what we did in those days. I would have bloomin kittens today but I was only a baby then. We used to refuel using the method quite often in those days and I suppose they still do. We were refuelling one day when it all went pear shaped just off Iceland in the winter in heavy seas and it was my job when ordered to swing the sledge hammer at the coupling when the order was shouted to emergency breakaway..............I got it first time and a large shot of Rum in the Captains cabin afterwards for getting it right first time!! Bloody brilliant and interesting time of my life which I am seriously pleased I signed up for.

Some of us weren’t offered a ‘chair’. Out the Gulf 1980. Going onto a Aussie ship to sample their beer!! Sea boat transfer return, thank goodness!

D1D79C71-021F-42EE-8FC1-A8A4086A24A5.jpeg

Edited by Nightwatch

54 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Steve I’m pretty sure we have RAS’d with all those except of course Sir Galahad. 

Some of us weren’t offered a ‘chair’. Out the Gulf 1980. Going onto a Aussie ship to sample their beer!! Sea boat transfer return, thank goodness!

D1D79C71-021F-42EE-8FC1-A8A4086A24A5.jpeg

Blimey I remember Grey rover for sure.

59 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Show off. I’ve probably watched more than you have actually done.

Bloody flunky, thats about all you lot ever did is watching ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Flew in our wasp a couple of times. Didn’t they say 20,000 rivets flying in formation.

Ive hated helicopters ever since!! What horrendous noisey things they are. I flew in a couple of wasps and indeed a Sea King and since once in a civvy thing. All had one thing in common in that they were horribly noisey.

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ive hated helicopters ever since!! What horrendous noisey things they are. I flew in a couple of wasps and indeed a Sea King and since once in a civvy thing. All had one thing in common in that they were horribly noisey.

You’re right. More so when your mess is under the flight deck and the Wafus are night flying.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

You’re right. More so when your mess is under the flight deck and the Wafus are night flying.

Thats cos you lot had to be on the same deck as the wardroom to look after the pigs whereas proper sailors were a deck further down in 3m :D

On 06/03/2021 at 21:15, matty40s said:

There is a "new" boat at Clifton called Swallow, with some reference to the old steam boat on the sides. Not sure what they transferred from the old to the new one though.

Interesting, I wonder if that is the bow section of the boat, which has been refitted and re-sterned!