Steam Boat Swallow - What Happened?

David Mack

Featured Posts

In 2010 Mike Askin filmed Swallow in the tug of war at Rickmansworth Festival

Now the Swallow has been scrapped with the back end up for sale on Ebay.

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20ft-half-shell-off-a-canal-steam-boat-swaliow-a-conversion-project-/181986628340?hash=item2a5f3f92f4:g:zgEAAOSwT~9WkXmU

So how (and why) did that happen?

Edited by David Mack

I was surprised when I saw this, (in reality, not as a EBay advert).

The story I was told (by a forum member), is that the back end of this boat was in poor condition, and the intention is to graft a new back on to the fore end.

Why the front of the original boat should be worth considering building into a new boat, but the back only fit for scrap was not clear though - it did all sound a bit odd.

I was surprised when I saw this, (in reality, not as a EBay advert).

The story I was told (by a forum member), is that the back end of this boat was in poor condition, and the intention is to graft a new back on to the fore end.

Why the front of the original boat should be worth considering building into a new boat, but the back only fit for scrap was not clear though - it did all sound a bit odd.

Looking at the hull at and below the waterline, it appears to be in rough condition. Perhaps repairing it was considered economically unviable?

Looking at the hull at and below the waterline, it appears to be in rough condition. Perhaps repairing it was considered economically unviable?

But (as I ask), why should the rest of the hull be in massively better condition, if the intention is to keep one end of the boat, but totally replace the other?

But (as I ask), why should the rest of the hull be in massively better condition, if the intention is to keep one end of the boat, but totally replace the other?

Yes, I wondered that also. I suppose that less of the fore end would typically be under water, so less of it would be corroded/ damaged.

My guess is that the owner is fitting a different engine and boiler combination that will swing a larger prop. By the time they have modified the swim, bedplates and cabin, it was easier to build a new stern end

Richard

My guess is that the owner is fitting a different engine and boiler combination that will swing a larger prop. By the time they have modified the swim, bedplates and cabin, it was easier to build a new stern end

Richard

I actually though I was told the intention was to reinstall the existing boiler and engine, but may be wrong.

Perhaps the person I got any information from at leats second hand can put us right?

A bit of Googling reveals she was for sale in 2012.

My new guess is that part of her is being rebuilt as a 'normal' boat

Richard

Yes you would think so, but I was told the intention is to put the steam plant back.

Your explanation does sound more consistent with what has happened though.

Actually, on further reflection, I'm now wondering if I was told the intention was to put the steam plant in a different boat :banghead:

I did not see the front end of the boat where the rear end now is.

Edited by alan_fincher

I have never seen the boat close up, and although I think I exchanged email with the owner once I do not know him like I know most of the other steam boat owners.

However I am also under the understand it was for a sale a while back, so maybe no buy was found and it going to be passed on sans-steam, which would be sad but not the end of the world. We have had several new steamboats in the last few years, and like all things good, they do come and go.

I also understand the boat was one of a long line of steam hobbies the owner held, as I recall he has steam lorries, maybe a roller, train involvement, etc. Hence apparently while safe and functional not a lot of time had been put into the plants appearance, which obviously also has an effect on re-sale ability in terms of acquiring someone elses imperfections.

Will put word round a little and see if I can find out more.

Daniel

• 6 months later...

Hi

I owned Swallow for 10 years and sold her to the guy up in Rugby who seems to have cut her up and sold the back end on ebay but did not see any steam plant with it.

Shame she was a great boat, slow and used 200L of desiel a day so was a bit expensive to run, all she needed was a new bottom plate and the steam plant would go on for ever, the boiler was good and had her tested with the SBA every year.

Yes I was the one with the pub in Chipperfield and had a number of other steam loco's and traction engines and vintage tractors.

If there is any more info required please let me know.

Regards

Roger

I bet it was more than that!

There was a "modern"steam boat at Ellesmere port in 1976, might have been Swallow? Involved in Tug Of War competition (It didn't win) fitted with a train heating boiler from a diesel loco. The owner said it used 8gallons of diesel an hour , so 200 litres a day, sounds about right. You would have to be a Rothschild these days to afford that.

Bill