Robust debate - Technical discussions.

DHutch

Featured Posts

For what it's worth, as a new member, I think you've got something very special in this forum. Some incredibly knowledgeable members, and so far my questions have been answered astonishingly quickly, kindly, and in a depth that seems appropriate to the subject matter.....

Well thank you very much!

Hear Hear, from another new member.

And a fellow steam boat owner and SBA member , if I am not wrong!

Daniel

For me I see it both ways, if the thread it running well but the OP complains somewhat ungratefully for the effort given as its not exactly what/how they wanted, that's crappy of them. But on the flip side if the OP has started a thread to ask a question about how to do a fairly specific thing, and comes back 24hours later and the two replies on the threads been trashed by a handful of members debating an only mildly related points backwards and forward, Then I would be pissed of as the OP too.Especially if they are a new ish member, or new to forums as a whole they may never come back or use a forum again, and what a waste that would be. Daniel

I've onky been a menber a few months in here, but haave had long memberships in more technically orientated forums and served a short time as a mod - a thankless time consumming occupation that restricts your scope of comment, for shear fear of seeming to take sides with bias.

If you are a pro in your field, say an electrician, you can be held legally culpable for your comment if misunderstood and the worst siuation caused harm, you don't know the persons capability you can not be sure they will take sensible precautions - like switching of the power before openning the fuse box. The safest thing to say is play safe and call in a qualified electrician, which can cause deep indignation in the asker, and accusations of being aloof or protectionistic.

it can become like having a duty to warn of static electricity zapping your nose when removing clothing made from man made materials like nylon, while stood on the top wrung if a ladder.

What appears in print in reply can often apear to be rude or 'being short', just because a responder knows the answere is not a guarentee of their using polite suitable wording. Simple analasis is driving a car, usually somebody you know as nice people turn into creatures if the night complete with horns when sat behind their steering wheel, often screanming out aloud even the minor the faults of other drivers - like they never make an error lol!

Alan

I know some people used to use two 12volt batteries in series as a last ditch attempt to start stubborn vehicles. We had a "Diesel Master" charger/jump starter at work and I have seen that set to 24v for starting 12 volt vehicles too. Less electronics on vehicles in the old days though so you could get away with that sort of abuse as long as you turned the radio off.

Have a pint for me, I am missing the Ramsbury this winter. Currently outside the Barge at Honeystreet looking at a sadly closed pub. Probably go to Devizes this Wednesday (British Lion), then 14 days later back to Pewsey. Could meet you there for a beer and do a post mortem on your voltage converter!

All this moving just once every 14 days makes me feel like a real cc'er.

If the forum had a big wiki it could have an electricity section, and it could have a beer section, but we couldn't talk beer in the electricity section, and that's what makes the forum such fun.

...............Dave

not tried that, modern cars with modern electrics might not take kindly to being treated to 24 volt jolt, i think the ECU might be vulnerable to fry?

Alan

I know some people used to use two 12volt batteries in series as a last ditch attempt to start stubborn vehicles. We had a "Diesel Master" charger/jump starter at work and I have seen that set to 24v for starting 12 volt vehicles too. Less electronics on vehicles in the old days though so you could get away with that sort of abuse as long as you turned the radio off.

Have a pint for me, I am missing the Ramsbury this winter. Currently outside the Barge at Honeystreet looking at a sadly closed pub. Probably go to Devizes this Wednesday (British Lion), then 14 days later back to Pewsey. Could meet you there for a beer and do a post mortem on your voltage converter!

All this moving just once every 14 days makes me feel like a real cc'er.

If the forum had a big wiki it could have an electricity section, and it could have a beer section, but we couldn't talk beer in the electricity section, and that's what makes the forum such fun.

...............Dave

Who is running the Waterside at Pewsey now? When I was a semi-regular there it was a splendid ex-naval chap called Shag. The nickname was acquired in his younger days, but I won't go into detail.

Who is running the Waterside at Pewsey now? When I was a semi-regular there it was a splendid ex-naval chap called Shag. The nickname was acquired in his younger days, but I won't go into detail.

Probably something to do with his taste in long piled carpets...

I imagine that he was named after the sea bird.

N

Nigel and Carl, Nigel is quite well known as he has been the chef at various local pubs but he mostly runs the bar upstairs which is now a freehouse and has 3 constantly changing real ales, often from local breweries. Carl does the food downstairs and is carving out a reputation for very good slightly posh food. However the two roles appear interchangeable.

You can also eat upstairs in the bar where dogs are welcome!!!!.

Custom is a mixture of locals and boaters and the place has a good atmosphere. Various events including a very difficult quiz, cheap beer on Wednesdays and a rather nice meal and a pint for a tenner on Mondays.

They often show football on the big TV but with the sound off and music from Nigels rather tasteful playlist. Its all a bit surreal.

(this is not an advert, I am just a happy customer!)

..............Dave

Nigel and Carl, Nigel is quite well known as he has been the chef at various local pubs but he mostly runs the bar upstairs which is now a freehouse and has 3 constantly changing real ales, often from local breweries. Carl does the food downstairs and is carving out a reputation for very good slightly posh food. However the two roles appear interchangeable.

You can also eat upstairs in the bar where dogs are welcome!!!!.

Custom is a mixture of locals and boaters and the place has a good atmosphere. Various events including a very difficult quiz, cheap beer on Wednesdays and a rather nice meal and a pint for a tenner on Mondays.

They often show football on the big TV but with the sound off and music from Nigels rather tasteful playlist. Its all a bit surreal.

(this is not an advert, I am just a happy customer!)

..............Dave

Thanks for the update. Glad it's still a good place to be.

disagree.

there have been several threads when the meaning is not at all clear, for example the recent one about the power usage of a washing machine.

another common mistake involves the use of a unit like amps/hr.

if that represents his understanding and knowledge then the poster has no business even asking the question in the first place before doing a bit more research or bringing in a qualified person.

I've met people who confuse electric charge in Ah with a current of an amp for an hour. If that's a big deal it's best not to post replies.

I've met people who confuse electric charge in Ah with a current of an amp for an hour. If that's a big deal it's best not to post replies.

Right ho. I will join the fray and say clearly what the others are only implying:

That Ah is a useful unit of charge. The a charge of 1Ah passes a point in the circuit when a steady current of 1A passes for the time of 1h. The Ah has the dimensions of [Current] x [Time]

A Coulomb, for our purposes is much less useful. A charge of 1C passes when a current of 1A passes for the time of 1s. Note that this also has the dimensions of [Current] x [Time].

Just saying.

N

Right ho. I will join the fray and say clearly what the others are only implying:

That Ah is a useful unit of charge. The a charge of 1Ah passes a point in the circuit when a steady current of 1A passes for the time of 1h. The Ah has the dimensions of [Current] x [Time]

A Coulomb, for our purposes is much less useful. A charge of 1C passes when a current of 1A passes for the time of 1s. Note that this also has the dimensions of [Current] x [Time].

Just saying.

N

Thank you for "clarifying" things. Those who were already confused will now be doubly so.